The Rise of G/W/R Aggro in M13 and how to prepare for it.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I will be attending a PTQ that is coming to Madison WI July 21st. I highly anticipate everyone getting on board with G/W/R Aggro and putting Rancor and Thragtusk to good use. I plan on using a decklist with mana dorks, swords, bonfires, Blade Splicers, Strangleroot Geists, Huntmasters, Silverhearts, Thragtusk, Restoration Angel. My questions is if you think this will be the deck to beat come M13 and if I'm running this style how do I prepare for the mirror matches and the high onslaught of G/W/R Aggro I plan on seeing?
Switch out a color for Black.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Sideboard Magmaquake. Only thing it won't kill is Restoration Angel.
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Naya Aggro/Pod is definitely going to be fun, but I don't see Thragtusk taking the slot of Zealous Conscripts any time soon.  Thragtusk will be a nice sideboard item for heavy removal decks, but not mainboard material for the 5 CMC slot, considering it will be competing with Geist-Honored Monk, Wolfir Silverheart, and Zealous Conscripts.

However, the Naya matchup to Delver is rather nice, probably better than many of the most recent matchups I've seen.

Over the last three weeks, I've gone 4-1 against Delver decks with my Naya Pod.

Also, please don't be so niave as to run Magmaquake over Bonfire of the Damned.  Unless of course it's a money issue. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Naya Aggro/Pod is definitely going to be fun, but I don't see Thragtusk taking the slot of Zealous Conscripts any time soon.  Thragtusk will be a nice sideboard item for heavy removal decks, but not mainboard material for the 5 CMC slot, considering it will be competing with Geist-Honored Monk, Wolfir Silverheart, and Zealous Conscripts.

Hahahahahahahaha.  Oh god.  Really?  REALLY?

Your sense of gameplan is messed up, man.

Thragtusk is straight up bonkers in every matchup.  Oh, I heard you played aggro, so I'll gain five and have huge blockers, no matter what.  Oh, I heard you played Vapor Snag.  Cuuute.  Oh, I heard you played control.  Check out my value for days.  Dude, really.  Really really.  It's a card.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Right now until rotation I can see [CARD]Thragtusk[/CARD] being played in as 1 of in Naya Pod/Aggro and a 1-2 of as a SB card for RG Aggro and that's about it.
He is not the [CARD]Snapcaster Mage[/CARD] of this set and the sooner people realize this the better.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Right now until rotation I can see [CARD]Thragtusk[/CARD] being played in as 1 of in Naya Pod/Aggro and a 1-2 of as a SB card for RG Aggro and that's about it.
He is not the [CARD]Snapcaster Mage[/CARD] of this set and the sooner people realize this the better.

^ I'm still waiting for the cue of disappointment. I love cards like Thrangtusk because they make the game last, but it simply is what it simply is. Exciting cards get alot of hyperbole in depowered formats.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Thragtusk will be a $10-15 rare for quite a while. It's that good. But unlike snapcaster, it won't be a legacy staple and won't stay nearly as high as it is.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Thragtusk is better than what the naysayers think, but far less than what the fanboys think. It's a great card that will see play in Wolf-Run variants, ramps, and Pod. However, it still dies to removal and is just another card. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
It dies to removal... and then you get a 3/3 and you've gained 5 life.

Aye, I really want better mana fixing. Something about a G/B Rock deck seems to appeal to me, Strangleroot, Thragtusk, Nighthawk, Wolfir Avenger and Wolfir Silverheart maybe even Messenger if the mana fixing is good enough.

I really just want to Undying Evil my Thragtusk in response to removal or being blocked and completely blow someone out.

Back on topic, Green is definitely getting love in terms of 5 drops. Thragtusk, Wolfir Silverheart, Acidic Slime, Silklash Spider, Vorapede, Sigarda, Host of Herons. Not to mention all the off-color stuff like Bloodgift Demon, Geist-Honored Monk, Thundermaw Hellkite, Zealous Conscripts, Batterskull.

5 mana definitely seems like the place to be at, especially after rotation. How many creatures above 5 mana are really worth playing once Titans/Wurmcoil/Praetors are gone?

Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Griselbrand, Craterhoof Behemoth, and Stormtide Leviathan all being viable, but probably only in a dedicated reanimator strategy due to all costing 8.

Elderscale Wurm, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Moldgraf Monstrosity, and Sphinx of Uthuun are all on the very border of what is really possible to be ramped into reliably since they are at 7. Probably still only worth it for reanimator, or maybe something like Heartless Summoning.

I wont go through all of the 6 drops, since most of them are iffy at best. Is it just me, or does it seem like there aren't really many good 6 drops available after rotation. Of course this is all without any idea of what will be in RTR, but Innistrad/M13 really haven't been kind to the 6 mana slot.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Sign In to post comments