The Bull Rush Mage

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey so Im trying to make a new character for a home game and due to a lfr sesion I want to make a mage who speacializes in bull rushing I do not onow the mage class all that well but Im thinking building it around zones and such what I am looking for today is some direction to make this viable at lvl 5 or 6.
I am not having much luck with google searches or optimizers since it is quite bizare. Thanks for any help
Why a Mage, and why Bull Rush?

What edition?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
4e and because we won a lfr fight becwuse our strikers couldnt land a hit but our mage bull rushed the guy off the cliff so building one around that could be as fun as a crazy cat lady build
Wouldn't it be better to use actual mage powers that push and slide?  So that they use your primary stat (INT) and don't have bull rush's size restrictions, and don't require you to get into melee where you are almost assured of getting your ass kicked?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
It's trivial to get huge forced movement distances on an Enchanting Mage.

Level 1 Mage, Orb Expertise, Enchantment school feature.  You're looking at the party friendly, burst 5 Beguiling Strands that pushes enemies 6 squares.  Or Hyponotism for a single target that can slide an enemy 6 squares.  Basically, put enemies into hindering terrain or send them off cliffs if they don't look like they have any important loot.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I wouldnt want to cut out skills that can push pull and slide but ya Im looking for a way to make bull rush viable Im sure its gonna die alot
I wouldnt want to cut out skills that can push pull and slide but ya Im looking for a way to make bull rush viable Im sure its gonna die alot

Actually, it will hopefully only die once and then you will build a different character. I strongly suggest taking the advice of TheMalteseFalchion and flavoring it as if spectral images of yourself are pushing them.

Or, I suppose you could Hybrid up something odd. I will leave that to your imagination.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Bull Rush will never be viable.  It's almost never useful, and certainly never more useful than, say, Beguiling Strands.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Bull rushing isn't even a viable option for STR classes.  Unless the point is to create a pointless character, I'd strongly suggest finding a class that does a lot of melee ranged pushing, pulling and sliding with powers or feats, and reflavoring the class into a wizard.  Maybe a bard or psionic character of some sort would do the job.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Well, Bull Rushing isn't always pointless.  IF you can send them far away at least, like say far enough away that they can't get back into a fight even with double movement.  I haven't updated my old humerous build since a few rule changes (Pure Druid doesn't work as well anymore.  Its gotta go hybrid Druid|Monk or some other similar trick.)

On topic with the hopes of the opening post?
You'll need to MC Monk, get Driving Rain feat, a Ki Focus, a Temblor Light Mace (For off-hand), and Rushing Cleats and you just may actually land that Bull Rush, and push it more then just 1 square too.
Thanks alot and ya I know this is suposed to be a useless character outside of a few shinanigans thanks again for the advice on what will actualy boost bullrush
Thanks alot and ya I know this is suposed to be a useless character outside of a few shinanigans thanks again for the advice on what will actualy boost bullrush

Not a problem.  I'm always happy to help make a potential Magickarp Power or Chekov's Gag/Skill.
Sign In to post comments