Noob to D&D. Eladrin vs Elf

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im completely new to D&D, and have only played a few encounters, all with premade characters.
Im attempting to make my own character, and want to be a Ranger.
At first I really wanted to be an Eladrin, but after reading about the stat bonus's etc on Elves, i cant decide.
Can someone help me out?
Is being an Eldarin going to hinder my characters abilities majorly? 
At the end of the day, I just really want to be using a long bow, and maybe even be able to cast rituals.
I apologise that this is probably a really Noob question, and thanks to anyone that can help me out :D :D
 If you're squeezing for every advantage, the elf beats out the eladrin on the ranger.  Since most games aren't high op, though, you're not going to make a bad character out of the eladrin, far from it. 
Nah, not so much squeezing for every advantage. Just want the ritual casting to make playing my character a bit more interesting. Also, for her background story. I'm willing to sacrifice having some awesome bow skills, to be able to ritual cast. I just wasn't sure on how much I'm sacrificing lol. Thanks for help Dann :D
You don't have to sacrifice much.
There are three multiclass feats to get ritual casting aside from the feat itself.

Invoker, Wizard and Bard.

Each of the feats grants a skill training, but requires two ability scores at 13.
Invoker and Wizard want WIS 13 and INT 13
Bard wants INT 13 and CHA 13.

So if you have the ability scores, you get something better than the bare feat Ritual Caster.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

Eladrin vs. Elf isn't going to make any noticable difference to your ritual casting abilities, so it doesn't really matter which one of those you go with. Elves are written as more nature/ranger/primal types whereas Eladrin are written as more hoity-toity arcane wizard types in the books, but again that doesn't really have any real impact on play. Long story short, race isn't going to make nearly as much difference as stats and feats. I presume you checked out The Ranger Handbook which will point you in the direction of the best things to take for the latter.

There are two unusual but effective Ranger builds that require being an Eladrin: the Dancing Huntmaster and the Blade Banshee.

The Blade Banshee paragon path would be considered pure gold if it wasn't a Strength-Wisdom build that requires a race that bumps Intelligence and Dex/Cha. The best approach is a Ranger|Runepriest hybrid. Combine Bladed Disruption with Impending Doom Style and Defiant Word to create a PC who is both very hard to hit and whose damage increases when monsters miss her. With the bump at level 16 from Shrieking Blades, you'll be doing as much damage as conventional builds.

The Dancing Huntmaster is hard to play and has to swap tactics in a very confined battlespace or if your allies forget to play along. That said, when it works, it works really well, and the mechanics fit well with visualizing some really exotic, flowing fighting style.
Getting the ability score requirements for Wizard/Invoker would be pretty easy for an Eladrin, doing 16/16 (pre-racial) on DEX and WIS, 11 on INT.  After racial bonuses that turns into 18 DEX, 16 WIS, and 13 INT.
Overall it doesn't matter.

Optimally, you want elf, they have better stat bumps and being able to reroll a miss is like getting a free attack just when you need it.

But eladrain get to teleport, which can be fun, and free skill training, which could help with a few rituals.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Another option is the Elf Bow Cleric.  You'll get Ritual Casting and can grab Silvery Arrow for an at-will to get a bow based attack that keys off Wisdom.  Your damage isn't going to be on par with the Ranger build, though.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
How about first we do not get hung up on words and meanings. Think about what type of character, class, race, mechanic you want to play.

It has been said many times, and here we go again: there is the option of refluff. Take the mechanical features as given for whatever race, class, playstyle you choose, and describe your characters actual class, race, appearance in any way you want.
Thanks for the help, everyone. Decided to roll with an Eladrin Ranger. It's going to make me happier, and that's what matters, right? :D
Indeed. Plus, the extra skill training will really help with rituals as some require you to be trained in their linked skill (and a Ranger can't normally train in Arcana, History, or Religion).

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Sign In to post comments