Battlemind

Monk

Psion

Ardent

Shadow

Assasin

Assassin (executioner)

Vampire

Now that just seems confused to me. Some areas are spoiled for choice, and some have only one option. It’s a complex mess of with some classes or even entire groups recieving lavish attention while others are left out in the cold. 5e’s current class system could easily give rise to the same imbalances. So how about expanding on the modularity idea? Choose your role for what you want to do and choose your power for how you want to do it! Your class is a result of these two choices. The result might look something like this:

Show

Defender

Striker (melee)

Striker (ranged)

Controller

Healer

Martial

Knight

(Some fights are won with armor, skill,  and honor)

Rouge/Thief

(Some fights are won in dark alleys with little knives)

Ranger

(Bow, arrow, what else do you need?)

Warlord

(Tactician, leader, hero)

Churgeon

(Knives and leeches for friend and foe alike)

Arcane

Swordmage

(Magic armor, magic sword)

Avenger

(Magic sword, but with style)

Sorcerer

(Raw magical power unleashed)

Wizard

(You know him, you love him)

Bard

(Let me play you the song of my people)

Primal

Warden

(Regenerates any damage to himself)

Barbarian

(Steel and rage shall sweep all aside)

Hunter

(Animal companions set them up, arrows knock them down)

Druid

("Grass will bind their feet and birds will peck out their eyes")

Shaman

(Herbal remedies for any occasion)

Divine

Paladin

("I shall fear no evil, for my god is with me")

Monk

(Faith and practice turn men into iron)

Invoker

(Smite with the literal fist of an angry god)

Priest

("Pelors light blind our enemies and guide our path")

Cleric

(Miracle recoveries on demand)

Psychic

Battlemind

(Ignores damage.

“Tis but a flesh wound!” )

Mentalist

(Telekinesis used on own fists? touch-based mind breaking?)

Psion

(“I can kill you with my brain” )

Psychic

(“I knew this would happen!” )

Ardent

(Switches off your pain(temp HP), accelerates your healing (regen+ ))

Shadow

Blackguard

(You can’t kill what’s already dead)

Vampire

(Eat your enemies for breakfast

and lunch

and dinner)

Assasin

(You will never even hear the shot that kills you)

Necromancer

(Each enemy that falls is a new ally)  

Soulstealer

(Drain enemies’ life and share it with the party.

Powers and feats could be defined by this. For example: arcane power source gives you lots of nifty special effects, like, say “jet of flame”. A striker uses the flame to burn their enemies to a crisp, whereas a healer uses it to cauterize wounds or a defender makes his armor burn any foe who touches them.

These are just some ideas of course. I'm just trying to avoid the current situation in 4e with its half-dozen slightly different flavors of wizard, but an almost useless seeker. Obviously this isn't perfect; some classes straddle lines between roles and are hard to pigeonhole. This is just proposed as a general guideline.

So what do you guys think?

"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
I'm not sure these categories (roles and power sources, right?) are particularly useful. The role definitions are arbitrary, and the power sources ascribe certain classes to mystic bases that they didn't have in earlier editions, and don't need. (I know that the Primal Barbarian is a particular point of controversy.)

Why not just write a decent range of classes, without pigeonholing?

Z.
Personally, I find the first chart evidence of a bigger problem. Primal and Shadow shouldn't exist as categories. (why is a ranger martial and not primal, but the barbarian primal and not martial, makes little sense to me)

The roles are also not really relevant to Next, because Themes give you your equivilent of the "role", not your class. 

As described in another thread, what you really want is Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psychic and something else that describes Rogues, Bards,  and Rangers.
I strongly hope not to see such a big focus on these roles in next. It's sort of limiting. And has too much of a focus in battle. There will be people that has fighting as just something that may happend along the adventure, not the centre of everything.
Power surces will be most likely not be present even.
And I definetly do NOT want to see vampire as a class. There is a reason if elves dwarves and halfling are now races, do not make again the same odnd "race is a class" with vampires. 
As described in another thread, what you really want is Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psychic and something else that describes Rogues, Bards,  and Rangers.

I like the idea of "expert" for those classes, since they are more dependant on skills than other classes, and it would make sense to give each addition skill trainings.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.