Played through the Demo: does the game get better?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a huge Magic fan, so I decided to try the free demo of DotP2013. Can't say I'm too impressed. I've been reading about it on the WotC page, and I like the principles they're building upon. I'm just not impressed with the end result. I rolled over the duels with Tamarind and Garruk, steamrolled the Encounters, and gotten mercilessly ganged up on in Planechase by the AI.

So, does DotP get better past the demo cut-off point? As the campaign goes on, and I can refine my deck, does the challenge increase? Do the encounters gets more interesting than Prodigal Pyromancer each turn? Is playing against a real person fun in Multiplayer? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

The only PvE aspect that entertained me was the challenges. But PvE is not really what you want to do with such a game. The real fun comes when playing real enemies in the various gamemodes - if they don't all play the same deck over and over again, but that's not the case at least on Steam.
The single player can leave a lot of be desired after a while. It ends up feeling somewhat predictable, and unless you're actually playing in the "Revenge" mode, the decks the AI gets to use will pretty much be inferior to the edits you'll make to your own decks taking away a lot of challenge. Most of the encounters are pretty "meh" too. I think the very last one in the game was the only one I thought was kind of cool to play against. Challenge puzzles as suggested above tend to be one of the best parts of offline play, but those will only last so long.

So the online multiplayer ends up being the true "endgame" of Duels. It can be a lot of fun, but sometimes the meta can get stale if one deck has the best percentage over the field and the lack of a large pool hurts the game preventing other decks from combating such a major threat. Comes down to whether or not the majority of players will diverse their deck choices. Not sure how much that's an issue in 2013 as the decks are just better constructed, and more cards are considered useful hopefully leading to more people playing with the decks they enjoy rather than some ultimate best deck. Although, I'm sure as time goes on people will find certain decks and combinations work much better than others. I hear 2HG is already somewhat suffering because of this.

The online play can be buggy as well. Syncing issues seem normal for a large number of players, and this problem can really disrupt online play. Card activations won't register, sometimes you'll try interacting with a graveyard or board and nothing happens, but you'll have lost your card. Can really detract from overall enjoyment if that is something that could bother you.
Coming from a person who enjoys the game very much I would say that it does get better. Each deck is a 60 card deck with 30 unlocks and the single player AI mimics this, meaning your first playthrough each opponent uses the basic 60 card decks, then on the revenge playthrough they use "upgraded" decks with the unlocks. There are also 3 AI difficulty settings and I'm not sure what difficulty the demo is played on. I can't speak to encounters or planechase as I dont play them at all.

I definitely prefer multiplayer (PC) and although the matchmaking can be a bit sluggish/clumsy at points I think the most fun part is testing your deck out against someone else. So far as I can tell the balance in this edition is very good and all decks seem viable.

I don't want to tell you the game will become drastically different because it is mainly what you see on the surface. What draws me is making the most of limited resources. There are 10 decks with 90 cards each and you have to make the most of it. For me this game is a nice way to get a little dose of MTG in because I can't (time, $$, etc.) play the physical game.

Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Alter_Boy: personally I think the single-player is quite tedious. As others have said the online play is where the lion's share of the fun is. The syncing issues don't seem too bad in DotP 2013, I've only had 3 or 4 disconnections in maybe 100 games.

One thing that is a bit annoying is that DotP 2009 was somewhat ruined online with an OP deck in the final expansion, and DoTP 2012 was somewhat ruined by Beknighted / Auromancer. In 2009, you could filter out which decks you were willing to play against online, but you can't do that in 2012/13. None of the decks in 2013 are particularly overpowered (maybe Goblin Gangland slightly but it's still beatable alot of the time), so right now it isn't a problem. I just hope they don't release sny stupid OP decks in the expansions.

The demo's so easy because it's played in the easiest of the 3 difficulty levels. Plus, when you finish the campaign, you unlock the revenge campaign where the opponents use updated decks using cards from the base deck and unlocks. The encounters are not affected by the difficulty level chosen, but they get harder as you move throught the campaign.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
Sign In to post comments