07/03/2012 RC: "Join the Dark Side"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

That Death Doll deck is hilarious. And the Slumbering Dragon deck ism missing something important...
Cool deck and all, but... dang that's a lot of stuff that's going to be rotating out soon.

Phyrexian Obliterator, Solemn Simulacrum, Dismember, Geth's Verdict, Go for the Throat, Sphere of the Suns, and Karn Liberated are all rotating out in three months. Plus, all but three cards from the sideboard (You only keep 1 Sign in Blood and 2 Grafdigger's Cage).

Mutilate rotates in, but every other good piece of Black removal rotates out. That is a sick joke.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Why would you ever play Liliana of the Dark Realms when of the Veil is around (or ever play her)? Liliana of the Veil costs one less (which is huge-you even say there are too many 4-drops), kills something without targeting and without killing herself, pseudo-card advantage in discarding which is usually better in this deck than just getting a land, since the only thing that costs more than 4 is Karn, and an ultimate that actually does something. Seriously, I laughed when you said the new Liliana can be a threat in the long game. I mean, sure, play her on an empty board and all is well and good, you have time to get some nice swamps to later use her ability to pump your Obliterator. But if she's just doing that, it seems a bit "win more."

Seriously, you have the wrong Liliana, and I suspect its just becaus you were told to advertise the mythic from the new set. Absolutely no other reason to play her.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
Mutilate rotates in, but every other good piece of Black removal rotates out. That is a sick joke.

Yeah, but we have absolutely no idea what else rotates in. I'm not sure how you expect Gavin to build a deck for a format that doesn't even exist. For all we know, Dismember and Go for the Throat are both in RTR. Likely? No; extremely unlikely in fact. But we could get something just as good. We just don't know.

As for the deck, I really feel like any attempt at abusing Liliana of the Dark Realms should be playing Inkmoth Nexus. True, the fact that they aren't Swamps is lame, but the amount of damage you can push through with that and her -3 is scary. It's a shame they won't be in the format together for long.
blah blah metal lyrics
I love everything about this deck...I hope it turns out to be competitive.
Also, as someone without the $$ for a set of LoTVs, I'm very excited by the possibility of a more budget-friendly 'walker.
Check out my Multiplayer Magic articles on the new site http://www.gatheringmagic.com/
Surprised not to see even a mention of Skinrender. It seems made for a deck like this.
Surprised not to see even a mention of Skinrender. It seems made for a deck like this.

And that's the issue with monoblack: all the best cards for it are 4-drops. Skinrender is yet another one. Lashwrithe too (though that's obviously more aggro than control, but still).

Except Liliana of the Realms. Coming on the heels of a Lili who can act as removal and stick around rather than instantly dropping to 0 loyalty, all at one mana less...as Bullfrog notes, there's not much reason (other than trying to show off the new PW, which is understandable) to run yet another 4-drop PW over one that's simply better earlier rather than later. Of course, LotR (urk!) has a +1 that fits better into a wider variety of decks, but what's she building up to do with it? In a 26-land deck with 3 Sign In Blood, 4 Sphere of the Sun, and 3 Solemn Simulacrum you're going to be casting Karn just fine without that.
The problem is, liliana is useful is you still have griselbrand. She helps you hit every land drop and get to that 8 mana or to cast a great consume spirit. She is good, but the deck lost the expensive stuff that made her good. And, I have no idea what modern is like or how i should build it. Oh well.
I very much enjoyed this article.  I was skeptical when I saw the title, but I'm a sucker for MonoBlack Control, so I checked it out.  I'm glad I did.  Your card choices and explanations for them sounded quite solid.  I look forward to trying this out at FNM.
The problem is, liliana is useful is you still have griselbrand. She helps you hit every land drop and get to that 8 mana or to cast a great consume spirit. She is good, but the deck lost the expensive stuff that made her good. And, I have no idea what modern is like or how i should build it. Oh well.

Agreed, I see little point in Liliana after eliminating the big mana spells. Especially with 26 land already!
"I thought about playing a singleton Diabolic Revelation to go over the top with in long, drawn-out games, but I think I would just want to find Karn every time—making Karn the more appropriate choice to start with."

If you are playing 6 mana for Diabolic Revelation you are doing it wrong.

If you pay the same mana that Karn costs you can get Karn AND another card.  Diabolic Revelation gets way better for each additional mana you pay for it.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
@GreenBuster: ...He's well aware of that. >_> But at 7 mana your opponent has just dropped a Titan you have to answer. Karn does that. Karn + what other card could make for a tutor worth not running a Karn in that slot to drop it right then and there, instead of a turn later? There's not much point to running Revelation in a deck that has so few huge game-ending threats. There...really isn't much point to running Relevation in any Standard deck I can imagine in the foreseeable future, of course (unless BG Ramp becomes a thing, in which case you could tutor up 4-5 game-enders and drop each as the previous one is answered), but that's the issue. The card is clearly meant for EDH.
+1 for the Doctor Who reference! Loving Gavin's articles, he's an excellent writer and a great addition to the dailymtg team!
@GreenBuster: ...He's well aware of that. >_> But at 7 mana your opponent has just dropped a Titan you have to answer. Karn does that. Karn + what other card could make for a tutor worth not running a Karn in that slot to drop it right then and there, instead of a turn later? There's not much point to running Revelation in a deck that has so few huge game-ending threats. There...really isn't much point to running Relevation in any Standard deck I can imagine in the foreseeable future, of course (unless BG Ramp becomes a thing, in which case you could tutor up 4-5 game-enders and drop each as the previous one is answered), but that's the issue. The card is clearly meant for EDH.

oh trust me, bg ramp will be a very big thing. It might be jund ramp, but the core will be black and green (red for huntmaster and wolf run). Scince the titans are gone, black has harvester of souls and griselbrand, while green has silverheart, soul of the harvest and elderscale. The triumph's even give it a lot of card advantage, and the golgari should give it some good support.
Sign In to post comments