Jessie's 24 Hour - Fear Itself

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Create a non-black card themed somehow around "Fear".

Mechanically, flavorfully, I don't really care - just make it revolve around fear somehow. It might be causing fear, facing fear, succumbing to fear, maybe even studying fear.

Ready? GO!
Flavor:

I wanted to think as "out of the box" as I could think (slightly contradictory I know). I took a theme from one of the Magic: the Gathering books I read, and converted it to a card. Enjoy!

Workspace:

Tal's Schism --
Enchantment (R)

, Tap X untapped creatures you control: Gain control of target creature if X is greater than the amount of creatures that creature's controller controls.

Nothing can deny the power of Tal. We will cleanse you of your imperfections whether you come with us, or we steal you away.

Placeholder:

Hulk Smash! --
Enchantment (R)

:T:: Flip target table.

Yeah it's a placeholder...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Altimis, that placeholder is a thing of glory and beauty. That was the funniest thing I've seen all day.
Grip of Paranoia
Sorcery U
Untap target creature you don’t control and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn and fights another target creature you don’t control. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)
Altimis, that placeholder is a thing of glory and beauty. That was the funniest thing I've seen all day.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's become a great joke near the end of many EDH games...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I will only participate if you promise to change the criteria at the last second.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Trepidation Matrix
Artifact (R)
: Creatures you control gain intimidate until end of turn. (Each can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)

Flavor

Just an idea for something that "makes things fearful/frightening."  

I made the name from:
trepidationA feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen (The idea here being the "combat phase" about to happen)
matrixan environment or material in which something develops (my thoughts here were from myr matrix which makes myrs)

So, yeah... it's a machine that "makes" fear happen
real entry

Majdan, Prince of Almaaz 
Legendary Creature -- Human Soldier

Exalted
Intimidate

Only the purest of heart dared challenge him.

3/2

joke entry

The Scary Door
Artifact

At the beginning of each upkeep, choose a permanent at random, transform it, and turn it face-down.

You are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location.  The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror.  These are just examples; it could also be something much better.  Prepare to enter: The Scary Door.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

<strong>Fear
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature has Fear.

"Everyone gets scared from time to time, little one. But do you know why? It is because they know that I might be the noise outside their window..." - Lim-Dûl, Creepomancer

Edit: Sorry. I will make a real entry.

Real Entry:

Valley of Shadows
Land
Whenever a creature attacks you, that creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of Fear counters on Valley of Shadows
At the beginning of your upkeep exile a creature you control at random, then put a Fear counter on Valley of Shadows. If you can't sacrifice Valley of Shadows.

Concept: A scary valley where people go missing. To attack you, your opponent's creatures have to go through it. This makes Rafi feel like Norin. In fact some creatures get so scared they pee themselves straight into the graveyard. Once Valley of Shadows has gained a scary enough reputation even the most mindless hulking creatures fear to tread there.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Poo, reading comprehension fail
Arachnophobia
Enchantment

Whenever a creature dealt damage by a Spider you control dies, put charge counters on Arachnophobia equal to that creature's toughness.
Remove 3 charge coutners from Arachnophobia or , : Put a 1/2 black and green Spider Horror creature token with deathtouch and reach into play.

"What is more terrifying? The look? The venom? Or the knowledge that there are always more of them?"

Arachnos
Legendary Creature - Spider Horror Incarnation

Whenever a creature dealt damage by a Spider you control dies, put spawning counters on Arachnos equal to that creature's toughness.
Remove 3 spawning counters from Arachnos or , : Put a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach into play.

It is the reason people are afraid of spiders.

4/5

I like my first version a lot better, but this one actually fits the criteria. It's strange to have a tap ability on a giant creature, but that's to incentivize actually killing dudes with him, so he can use the non-tap cost, while still giving him a way to work if the opponent isn't playing ball (and by ball I mean creatures).
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
I'll be taking the coward's way out.

Workspace

Chicken Out
|
Enchantment

Cowards can't block non cowards.
When a player is dealt damage, put that many 1/1 white Chicken Coward creature tokens with flying into the battlefield under each of that player's opponent's control.

"Insert chicken pun here."

Anxiety Attack |
Instant

Destroy target Coward.

Forecast — , Reveal Anxiety Attack from your hand: Target creature becomes a Coward until end of turn. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

"Everyone fears something. I just turn that fear into something more... lethal."

Phobia Mask |
Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature gains intimidate and ": This creature becomes all colors of target creature until end of turn"

It takes the face of what you fear most.

Behold the Horde - ()
Enchantment
Whenever you attack with three or more creatures, creatures with converted mana cost 3 or less can't block.
As long as you control three or more untapped creatures, creatures with converted mana cost 3 or less can't attack you.
"The inexperienced often have trouble standing firm on the battlefield. I can't say I blame them, 7 years on the battlefield and my legs still tremble at the sight of an approaching horde." - Yun, War Veteran
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Let's go for some planar chaos goodness

Intimidate 2W
Sorcery
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn.
"We need not force to control, we need only the presence of orzhov." - Melisk, Orzhov attendant.

Show

Nightsong Banshee --
Creature - Spirit
Intimidate
When Nightsong Banshee deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to target creature that didn't block this turn.
For Hanna's mother, hearing its steely fingernails scratch against the window was enough to cleave their mind.   Now imagine hearing it clawing at the bedroom door....
3/3

Thanks for reminding me it wasn't supposed to be black.

From the Alphabetical contest thread, then (with a few tweaks)

Locked Door --
Artifact
: You can't play spells and creatures can't attack you as long as Locked Door remains tapped.      

Non black.
Fear the Reaper
Enchantment 
Whenever a creature dies, return all other creatures to their owners' hands.

Nightsong Banshee --
Creature - Spirit
Intimidate
When Nightsong Banshee deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to target creature that didn't block this turn.
For Hanna's mother, hearing its steely fingernails scratch against the window was enough to cleave their mind.   Now imagine hearing it clawing at the bedroom door....
3/3  

I did specify non-black in the OP, my friend.
Thanatophobia 
 Enchantment - Aura
 Enchant Creature
 At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted creature's controller, place a -0/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
 When enchanted creature dies, choose one at random - return it to it's owner's hand, return it to it's owner's graveyard or exile it.
 "The death penalty is not punishment enough. Give him time to imagine what his death will bring" - Arbiter's Decree

Notes
I chose the three zones specifically because each one can represent a different hypothesis people have for when we die:
Hand - Reincarnation: The creature can relive again
Exile - Afterlife: I've used exile to depict the afterlife before as I feel it fits the flavor.
Graveyard - Oblivion: There is no afterlife or reincarnation after death, just a rotting corpse.
The -0/-1 counters represent the growing fear itself and will ultimately result in the creatures death or weaken it's resolve enough that something else has an easier time killing it

Startle | | Instant | Common
Tap target creature. If that creature's power is 1 or less, exile it.
The body of a giant is wasted with a weak heart. 

Failure |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Flash
Enchanted creature can't attack or block and it's activated abilites can't be activated..
"What do you fear the most my friend?" - Honory Guard to the 5th Batallion
"Failure. Failure to do what is right..." - Gideon Jura

Edit: Changed the text to work, a la Altimis, hope this can be accepted. It was what I meant.

Cheers, vlord.
Haunted Oracle

Creature - Human Wizard (U)

Whenever a Spirit creature enters the battlefield, put a fear counter on Haunted Oracle.
: Scry 2, then put a fear counter on Haunted Oracle.
Haunted Oracle doesn't untap on your untap step unless you pay :Xm:, where :Xm: is the number of fear counters on Haunted Oracle.

He partakes in knowledge that man was never meant to know.

1/3

I decided to take up Jessica_Morgan's suggestion of studying fear. This card's flavour is basically that of a researcher who's gone one step too far in his pursuit of knowledge, and is as a result haunted by supernatural powers. He gets dragged down by his fear unless you pay mana. Think Sea Gate Oracle but a little different. The Spirit thing is an interesting (flavour-wise) drawback and prevents it from getting too powerful - I was considering making it enter with a fear counter but decided against it in favour of the current drawback.
Wave of Panic

Instant

Nonartifact, nonblack creatures can't block this turn.

"No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear."
–Edmund Burke, On The Sublime and Beautiful

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Green Lantern's Light

Instant
Put a 7/7 green Construct creature token with "Sacrifice this creature at end of combat" onto the battlefield blocking target attacking creature. 

Murder Clown :R::R:
Creature - Demon Ninja Clown

Whenever Murder Clown deals damage, each player discards a card at random.

Hellbent - As long as you have no cards in your hand Murder Clown has doublestrike.

3/3

Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Fearful Children 
Creature - Human
Fearful Children is white.
Whenever a player cast a black spell, return fearful children to its owner's hand.
"hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!"
0/1

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Failure |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Flash
Enchanted creature can't attack, block or activate abilities.
"What do you fear the most my friend?" - Honory Guard to the 5th Batallion
"Failure. Failure to do what is right..." - Gideon Jura

Creatures don't activate abilities, players do; "it's activated abilites can't be activated."
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Fainthearted Follower 
Creature - Human
When another creature dies, return Fainthearted Follower to its owners hand.
2/2

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Guess what's closed? This is closed.
In that case, go with Phobia Mask, seing as I couldn't reason any way to make Anxiety Attack non-black and the chicken one is completely unbalanced at this point...
Bump 
Patience, my pretties. My connection time is currently...limited. This was not a foreseen event.
Patience, my pretties. My connection time is currently...limited. This was not a foreseen event.

no worries, but we're still going to totally annoy you with our needy, clingy bumps.
Well, I don't think I even recall seeing her post anything on the forums for the past week =( No idea what's happening on her side.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I know she has work. Hope she isn't sick though D:
:harass:
:harass:

Sign In to post comments