Rolling two dice to hit and enimies that make you reroll attacks

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just curious. I have the Markings of the Victor Feat that make so I roll two dice on my first attack, however I hit a creature that makes me reoll when an attack hits (Second Chance). Do I reroll both dice or just the die that hit?
Just the one that hit.

Markings of the Victor says "The first time you make an attack roll during each encounter, you can roll twice and use either result". However, an ability that let you roll twice on all attacks (like the Avenger's Oath of Enmity*) should allow you to reroll both.

* Corrected. Good catch Metafictional!
In fact, Oath of Emnity has specific language about what happens when you're forced to reroll.
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
It's still the same "your first attack roll", so you still get to roll twice on the reroll.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Here's the way I see it.  Markings of the Victor says: "The first time you make an attack roll during each encounter, you can roll twice and use either result".

Second Chance says: "The attacker must reroll the attack and use the second roll, even if it is lower."

So the reroll Second Chance forces upon you is no longer the first attack roll.  If Markings of the Victor said "the first time you make an attack during an encounter", I'd think you'd still get to roll twice on any reroll that you would be forced to make.

The issue came up recently in my D&D game, and while I think I'm right, it caused enough headaches that I think I'll just avoid mucking with other people's die rolls in the future.  ^_^

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
it caused enough headaches that I think I'll just avoid mucking with other people's die rolls in the future. 

That is likely the best answer: save the rerolls for when they don't conflict.