24 Hour Contest: Land Destruction

122 posts / 0 new
Last post
The criteria:

Make a land destruction card that is playable in Standard but not overpowered, and is in-line with Wizards' current philosophy on land destruction.  That is, make a card you think actually would make it through R&D and end up in competitive Standard decks (at least in sideboards).

It does not have to be explicit land destruction (that is, moving land cards from the battlefield to the graveyard), but it has to serve the same purpose.
Sulphurhole --
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, put a mine counter on it.
When enchanted land has three or more mine counters on it, its controller sacrifices it and Sulphurhole deals three damage to that player.           
Estate Deterioration   (u)
Sorcery
Destroy target land with the same name as another land its owner controls.
''Once considered a paradise, now a ruination''
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Cease

Instant
Destroy target permanent. Cease deals 3 damage to its controller.
"Look at the ash of your most beloved and weep."
~Maunder, Blood Heretic
Vacant Expanse
Land
When Vacant Expanse enters the battlefield, target land becomes a copy of it.
: Add  to your mana pool.
Where the meaningless find nothingness.
Stasis Lock
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Permanent
Enchanted Permanent doesn't untap during it's controller's untap step unless he or she lets each of his or her opponents draw a card.
Overpowering Expanse --
Sorcery (U)

For each player, choose a target land controlled by that player at random. The player who controls the most permanents that share a name with a chosen card they control may destroy target land.

===xxx===

Wording help thanks to Imidazoline

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Ohhhhh, I've been waiting for this.

Stone Rain

/thread.

No but seriously folks.

Break

Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target non-basic land.

Civilization Undone

Sorcery
Rare
Destroy each non-basic land. For each land destroyed this way, that land's controller searches his or her library for a basic land, and puts it onto the battlefield tapped.

Brushfire

Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target Forest or Plains.

Dehydrate

Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target Island or Swamp.

Break

Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target non-basic land.

Darn. Well, there goes my entry.

I hope this one wins.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
LD doesn't exist anymore. Just look at the newest Craterize: not only is the effect considered dangerous when there's enough of a critical mass, they felt that the individual LD spells have to be neutered beyond playability. Which is sad, because it's yet another facet of Magic that is being done away in favour of the "Big Creatures For Everyone" program.

Anyway, here's something that we could see:

Reduce to Rubble
Sorcery
Destroy target land if you control the creature with the greatest power or tied for greatest power.
A regiment of ogres can flatten a mountain by simply walking over it.

Though what I'd really like to see is this:

Stone Rain
Sorcery
Destroy target land.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Super Awesome Awesomeness
9RRR
Sorcery
Destroy all lands your opponents control.
It's super effective!
Thought of a bunch more on the way home from work.

Demolishers

Creature-Human Rogue
Rare
, sacrifice an artifact: Destroy target artifact.
, sacrifice a land: Destroy target land.
4/4

Pox Carrier

Creature-Zombie
Uncommon
When Pox Carrier dies, Each player loses 1 life, discards a card, sacrifices a creature, then sacrifices a land.
1/1

Plague Witch

Creature-Zombie Shaman
Rare
Deathtouch
:Each player loses 1 life, discards a card, sacrifices a creature, then sacrifices a land.
4/4

Pinnacle of Fire

Sorcery
Rare
Pinnacle of Fire deals X damage to each creature. Each player sacrifices X lands.

Land's Edge

Sorcery
Uncommon
Destroy target land. Cast Land's Edge only if that land's controller controls four or more lands.
Hasty Excavation
Sorcery
Destroy target land. That land's controller draws two cards.

I don't know why this hasn't been done yet. It seems like a backwards Compulsive Research to me.
Terror Maw 1B
Creature - horror
Haste
When ~ leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices a land.
It is not wise to provoke nothing.
2/1

Thus could be red too, but I like it at black.
Unstable Landfield
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
When Unstable Landfield enters the battlefield, destroy target nonbasic land you control and target basic land you don't control. 
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Pick your Poison
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller sacrifices a land.

"I'm only curious - how selfish are you willing to be? -Panita, Izzet Guildmage

Yes, I combined two of the most common objects of hatred in one card. Counters and Land Destruction. I know the name sounds black, but I don't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Ashes of Civilization

Sorcery
Ashes of Civilization costs less to cast for each nonbasic land on the battlefield
Destroy all nonbasic lands.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Blastmine | | Sorcery | Uncommon
Destroy target non-basic land. Cast a random instant and sorcery with a converted mana cost of one from your graveyard.
in-line with Wizards' current philosophy on land destruction.

Meteorize |
Sorcery
Destroy target land.
"'Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy fun card design" 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Meteorize |
Sorcery
Destroy target land.

[spoiler M13 Spoiler]

[/spoiler] 

Meteorize |
Sorcery
Destroy target land.

[spoiler M13 Spoiler]

[/spoiler] 

Did you read my flavor text? I think it's apparent that I knew this existed.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Proxyterrain
Enchantment
Champion a basic land
~ enters the battlefield tapped under an opponent's control of your choice.
Like a figment of your imagination, it exists with only enough essence for you know that it's there.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

0 stars, basically a land-specific O-ring that (due to hybrid cost) is strictly better than Stone Rain, in a color (blue) that doesn't get removal.

I decided to play on how red gains card advantage through Arc Lightning-style removal.

Sudden Eruoption

Destroy target land. ~ deals 2 combat damage to target creature without flying.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sabotage
Sorcery
~ costs less to cast if it targets a nonbasic land.
Destroy target land.

The problem with only targetting nonbasics is that it's often completely useless in Limited.  This is never useless, but isn't very efficient against basic lands.
Acidic Slime and Beast Within isn't good enough? How about if we do like this...

Lifelapse
Instant (R)
Exile all green creatures, then return those creatures to play under their owner's control. They gain haste until end of turn.
"For a moment, the mage managed to keep nature itself at bay."

Nullifies the Beast token from their dead land and gets you another Slime activation.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Toxicity ()()

Sorcery

As an additional cost to ~, pay 3 life.

Destroy target land. 
Demoralize 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
Spells cast by enchanted player cost more to cast.
Wurm of the Wastes

Creature - Wurm

Trample
Whenever Wurm of the Wastes attacks,
any opponent may sacrifice a land.  If they
do, Wurm of the Wastes deals no damage
this turn. 

"What did you use as bait?"
"A city."

8/8
Proxyterrain
Enchantment
Champion a basic land
~ enters the battlefield tapped under an opponent's control of your choice.
Like a figment of your imagination, it exists with only enough perceptibility for you know that it is there.

This card, it does not work the way you think it does.
I think that's actually a conflict of interest. If a card with champion card you own enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, that player has to champion a permanent they control. Since this will enter the battlefield under an opponent's control, the same should be true. The difference is, you control it until it does, so you have to choose what land gets championed, but you still must choose a permanent from whose control it will fall under once it hits the battlefield.

Maybe it shouldn't be limited to a basic land, but land destruction is very powerful. I don't mind it being limited to basic land. Eventually being restricted from one of your lands, and thus falling short one mana, is game-changing. Not to mention it can be used with Brand-like effects, and then used with tap effects you control for infinite mana; which was a nifty little trickery I intended for it to possess. For example, Opalescence + Llanowar Behemoth + Proxyterrain. Then, to reclaim control of Proxyterrain, you could use Brand, Confusion in the Ranks, Puca's Mischief, or Avarice Totem.

Terastodon's Wake
Sorcery (U)
Destroy up to three target noncreature permanents. For each permanent put into a graveyard this way, its controller puts a 3/3 green Elephant creature token onto the battlefield.
Kazandu shamans believe that everything, from the trees, to the rocks, to the sky, has a life force that wishes it were an elephant.

Wait, this contest was about making standard-playable elephants, right?
I think that's actually a conflict of interest. If a card with champion card you own enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, that player has to champion a permanent they control. Since this will enter the battlefield under an opponent's control, the same should be true. The difference is, you control it until it does, so you have to choose what land gets championed, but you still must choose a permanent from whose control it will fall under once it hits the battlefield.

Yeah, that's very much not how Champion works.

Prodigal Geomancer 
Creature - Human Wizard

When Prodigal Geomancer enters the battlefield, target land becomes a 3/1 red Elemental creature in addition to its other types.

: Prodigal Geomancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

[0/1]
I have found the secret of posting sigs! Kablooie's symbol Palette: 2U 
Well, it doesn't make any sense another way. It wouldn't make any sense to champion your own land and then the card with champion enters the battlefield under an opponent's control. The ability even says, "When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [----] you control." It enters the battlefield under an opponents control, of which they then must champion a land they control, you get the option to champion or not, it's mandatory unless there is nothing to champion.

Even if the rules for champion didn't support this specific function. I could re-work the function to simply Oblivion Ring a land. However, that wording might get so excessive and unappealing I'd likely just scrap the idea altogether.

Well, it doesn't make any sense another way. It wouldn't make any sense to champion your own land and then the card with champion enters the battlefield under an opponent's control. The ability even says, "When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another [----] you control." It enters the battlefield under an opponents control, of which they then must champion a land they control, you get the option to champion or not, it's mandatory unless there is nothing to champion.

Even if the rules for champion didn't support this specific function. I could re-work the function to simply Oblivion Ring a land. However, that wording might get so excessive and unappealing I'd likely just scrap the idea altogether.

Even if the ruling on Champion functions, why would your opponent ever choose to champion their land when they could simply sacrifice the enchantment and call it a day?
Incidentally -

Echoes of Devastation
Sorcery [Uncommon]
For each land card in target player's graveyard, that player sacrifices a land that shares a name or type with it.
Unstable Tectonics

Enchantment
Rare
Whenever a land you control is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, each opponent sacrifices a land.

Hellmouth

Enchantment
Rare
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control from a graveyard, it deals damage equal to it's power to target creature.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control from a graveyard, destroy target land.

Invasion Forerunner
Creature - Kor Scout
When ~ enters the battlefield target opponent sacrifices a land.
2/2

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I've been under the impression that the championing is mandatory.
The term "sacrifice it unless" is supplementary to the event in which there is no legal source to champion.

Even if the ruling on Champion functions, why would your opponent ever choose to champion their land when they could simply sacrifice the enchantment and call it a day?

To boot, they can also untap the enchantment for before the Champion trigger resolves.

I've been under the impression that the championing is mandatory.
The term "sacrifice it unless" is supplementary to the event in which there is no legal source to champion.

Continuing to slide down the learning curve...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Unfortunately for me, I have no idea what LD means in standard now.

Chrono Meteor -
Sorcery
Whenever a land enters the battlefield, if ~ is suspended, remove a time counter from it.
Destroy three target land.
Suspend 10 -
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.