New to SWSE, need input on Old Republic campaign

Hi! Me and my gaming friends are looking at starting up a SWSE game. Since two of them are into the Old Republic MMORPG, I figured using that as a basis (along with the Knights of the Old Republic campaign guide) would be a good fit.

Only thing is, I can't figure out when in the timeline to base the game. I wanted to do something that picks up about when the Old Republic ends off - that is 10 years after the Cold War ends during the Sacking and Treaty of Coruscant (3653 BBY). I believe The Old Republic MMORPG takes place during 3643-3641. But the official timeline jumps all the way to 3500 with the only significant events beingthe Iktotchi race is discovered by the Republic, and an expansion to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. (see starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_gala...)

So just what is happening from around 3641 to 3600 ?

If anyone has ideas about what might be happening several years after the Treaty of Coruscant and The Old Republic game, I would love to hear them Keep in mind that I don't play the Old Republic (but I don't mind spoilers) and only understand the broad strokes of the game's timeline.

Or, if I'm making this too hard on myself, which of the four major wars (Great Sith War, Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, Dark Wars) is a good place to start a campaign?

Btw, any general advice about running SWSE is welcome too, thanks.
I haven't played the game. All I've read is the Fatal Alliance novel. Is the Sith Empire defeated in 3641? If so, you've probably got several decades of "clean up" to do, as various warlords and dark siders try to carve out territory after the fall of the empire (similar to the New Republic era). It all depends on how the game officially "ends" which I don't know.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
If the timeline is barely fleshed out, then the world is your oyster!

You could have small sith cults taking over planets that need to be dealt with (as suggested above).

Another Mandalorian uprising could occur.  Or, since the Old Republic goverment is in disaray, piracy, spice and slave trading could be huge problems.  Look to the novel: Star Wars: Scourge for a potential storyline with Hutts and spice trade.

A sith talisman could be discovered among the spoils of war, which causes jedi to fall to the dark side.  The group could then have to try to stop the enemy while also trying to bring the enemy back to the light side.

I find a lot of inspiration for side quests in the star wars comics too.  Look at the Dark Times comic for inspiration. A particular favorite of mine is Blue Harvest.
Join the Nightwing Fan Club http://www.nightwingfanclub.com
I haven't played the game. All I've read is the Fatal Alliance novel. Is the Sith Empire defeated in 3641? If so, you've probably got several decades of "clean up" to do, as various warlords and dark siders try to carve out territory after the fall of the empire (similar to the New Republic era). It all depends on how the game officially "ends" which I don't know.

Neither do I...my understanding is there is a different official ending depending on what kind of character class you play.

If the timeline is barely fleshed out, then the world is your oyster!

You could have small sith cults taking over planets that need to be dealt with (as suggested above).

Another Mandalorian uprising could occur.  Or, since the Old Republic goverment is in disaray, piracy, spice and slave trading could be huge problems.  Look to the novel: Star Wars: Scourge for a potential storyline with Hutts and spice trade.

A sith talisman could be discovered among the spoils of war, which causes jedi to fall to the dark side.  The group could then have to try to stop the enemy while also trying to bring the enemy back to the light side.

I find a lot of inspiration for side quests in the star wars comics too.  Look at the Dark Times comic for inspiration. A particular favorite of mine is Blue Harvest.

Yeah, that's one way to look at it I read the reviews of Scourge - it sounds like a nice mobster story with a Jedi twist, and hey it's written by Jeff Grubb one of the game designers I really like!

Still haven't settled on a big plot, but I think the first adventure will involve going after an old hyperspace beacon from the time of the Mandalorian Wars over three hundred years ago, with navigational data to some secret location...
If that's your first adventure, I think it could lead nicely into the group discovering a small group of Mandalorians working with a sith sect trying to revive the sith wars! 
Join the Nightwing Fan Club http://www.nightwingfanclub.com
I like the idea of a Mandalorian/Sith alliance (or perhaps a villain who is both Mandalorian and a Sith alchemist? Ooo), but I'm actually thinking of doing a something less "tried and true". I'd like to feature Empress Teta and the carbonate trade, and maybe have the secret objectives of the Karth dark side sect get revealed through a villainous criminal network (perhaps one of the groups from Point Nadir shadowport?) where the last surviving Karth cultists have found refuge. At least, that's tentatively what I've cooked up so far.
Sign In to post comments