Druid willingly flame strikes Animal Companion and kills it - punishment?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
We're playing Age of Worms (if that matters).  Party is level 8, going to level 9. 

Animal Companion wolf is in a grapple with a Hellcat.  Druid casts flame strike on them both.  
Hellcat takes 16, 8 after fire resistance.  Wolf takes 33, chars, and dies. 

Druid player expresses no remorse.  

This is the 4th or 5th wolf he has gone thru.  Earlier deaths were not directly his fault.  But he does not mourn at all.  

The cleric in the campaign has taken the leadership feat, and is going out of his way to equip the cohort and keep him safe.  When the cohort died, the cleric paid for a reincarnate (the cohort had earlier expressed a desire to come back, no matter the cost.)  So there is a sort of precedent for caring for your companions. 

The druid just throws the wolf on the pile and goes and calls another a day later.   

I want to show him there are repercussions to this sort of thing.  The companion is supposed to be just that, a companion, not just another weapon in your reptoire.  

I am thinking of denying him the animal companion when he tries to summon one.  Not sure for how long.  Not sure if an atonement spell would work - if it did he'd definitely need to perform some sort of task.

I don't want to punish the other characters though, and I don't want to completely derail the campaign.  They just finished with Zyrxog, so its kind of a down time before the next chapter.  Seems like the perfect time.  

I am open to all suggestions, inlcuding those of 'just move on'.
My Homebrew Website: www.freewebs.com/thyatia/ "It was a great tactic, and our GM applauded us. Sadly the Werewolf burst free in only two rounds, and killed everyone but the Sorceress who teleported away with only one arm." - Tetsuoh "Having absolutely no ranks in any knowledges, my beloved Ric Flair based monk/rogue took off running immediately and attempted suicide by jumping off the bridge we were fighting on." - spitewrathhatred "He asked me how old my character was (I said 82), and then rolled what his maximum age was. Because the number he rolled was less than what I had said, he informed me that my Bard was dead, and that I needed to make a new character." - King_of_the_Pudding

It wouldn't be far-fetched to say the druid has stopped revering nature.

I'd expect a druid to only kill animals for food, to defend himself or others, or to put a wounded animal out of its misery. Even when killing for these reasons, I'd expect him to offer up prayers for the animal. In the case of hunting, I'd expect him to give thanks to the animal which has dies to provide food and clothing.

With an established pattern of showing no regard for animals, topped of with remorselessly killing his own animal companion, you could immediately rule him to be an ex-druid. He'd need an atonement spell to regain the companion, his spellcasting, wild shape, and his other class features.

What alignment is this Druid?  If he is anything but NG I don't see why he'd need to show remorse for participating in the circle of life which is what the "neutral" part of a druid's alignment requirement works around.  "Nature" bring the companion to walk alongside the druid for a time and then when its time is up it's up; there is no need to be sad about things that will happen anyway.

While you may disagree it may also be that the character DOES grieve for the loss but just never shows it. 

Ask the player why his character doesn't seem to mind the loss of his animal companions. If he gives a solid in game explanation done deal. If not, explain what you are expecting, and your concerns "Feels like you aren't roleplaying, should feel bad about killing your companions" etc. See his responses to those. He should have an explanation of how he is roleplaying. If so, done. 

If not, your player doesn't paticulalrly care about roleplaying. There is nothing you can do to change this aside from show him the fun that comes from it and hope he changes his mind. If his lack of roleplaying really bothers you or the group, you should consider removing him/you and finding the removed player a more approperiate group. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

It wouldn't be far-fetched to say the druid has stopped revering nature.

I'm seconding this.  Druids are specifically required to revere nature, and it's not unreasonable to expect that they should actually show that reverence in some way, especially if they're willing to burn animals under their care to a crisp when it's expedient.

I'd suggest offering one of the alternative class features to replace an animal companion if the player really has a problem with being asked to take care of the animals they call, but those all pretty much just replace the companion with a different kind of creature.

Introducing some difficulty in calling another animal companion does seem a good idea, along with warning the player that failing to revere nature (at least as a general pattern of behaviour; it need to be at every single opportunity) can directly affect his connection to its power and turn him into an ex-druid if he keeps it up.

To be honest, I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a player who had trouble caring about the suffering of their animal companions; most of the ones I've seen get really attached to them, often to the point of valuing them above other party members.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
You could always use the fluff from the Leadership feat for this.  If he has a reputation for treating his companions badly, and his companions seem to have a better-than-average chance of dying, they just stop coming.  It doesn't turn him into an ex-druid, but it does make him aware that his companion isn't fodder.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls