Monster Knowledge checks

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
When you (as DMs) reveal information to the characters via successful monster knowledge checks, do you also include the monsters' level in the information imparted, or simply the role, keywords, etc? It seems to me that level is essential information to impart in identifying threats, but there is no mention of relaying this info in either the PHB or Compendium rules description. 
It's not RAW, but I always do, because I feel the player characters should be able to get an idea of how powerful an enemy is.  The way I explain how monster knowledge checks work to my players is that you're mostly making educated guesses about your opponent's possible abilities and fighting style.

There are a lot of mixed feelings about Monster Knowledge among DM's, who often feel that it "doesn't make sense", especially with custom enemies.  I've seen DM's flat-out deny a player any information, even with an excellent check.  So I would expect many DM's don't bother giving out a monster's level.
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
PHB pg.180

For me, this states everything they as players need to know.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Sign In to post comments