'Gro (Post M13)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wowo. Just Wow. Quirion Dyrad with Delver in Standard. Couldn't believe this.

Possible list:

4 Quirion Dyrad
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage

3 Rancor
1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Ponder
4 Mana Leak
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Thought Scour
2 Gut Shot
1 Dismember

1 Moorland Haunt
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Razorverge Thicket
3 Seachrome Coast
7 Island

Thoughts?
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Take out the green add 4 Restoration Angel and a couple more pikes and you have yourself a pretty good deck.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Wowo. Just Wow. Quirion Dyrad with Delver in Standard. Couldn't believe this.

Possible list:

4 Quirion Dyrad
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage

3 Rancor
1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Ponder
4 Mana Leak
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Thought Scour
2 Gut Shot
1 Dismember

1 Moorland Haunt
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Razorverge Thicket
3 Seachrome Coast
7 Island

Thoughts?

Land : 20
Hinterland Harbor x 4
Razorverge Thicket x 3
Seachrome Coast x 3
Moorland Haunt x 2
Glacial Fortress x 1
Island x 7

Creatures : 17
Delver of Secrets x 4
Snapcaster Mage x 4
Quirion Dryad x 3
Geist of Saint Traft x 3
Restoration Angel x 3

Stuff : 23
Ponder x 4
Thought Scour x 4
Vapor Snag x 4
Gitaxian Probe[c] x 1[c]Gut Shot x 3
Mana Leak x 4
Runechanter's Pike x 3

Rancor seems bonkers-inducingly anti-synergystic with the entire goal of the deck, outside of "killing the opponent." It makes you worse against the mirror, too. Drop it and play some more Pikes and restoration angels as was suggested, or maybe dungeon geists. I'm pretty sure you should be favoring blue instead of green concerning your Mirrodin duals; turn 1 blue is far, FAR more important than turn-anything green here. Even with 3 colors I feel like Moorland Haunt should be a 2 of, and it's the primary argument against your list. 

This is pretty standard fare, but then again, isn't every delver list? Whether or not the dryad is worth jumping through the hoops of a tri-colored mana base (And even then, aren't there better choices?) remains to be seen.

But you better believe I'm sleeving this up and giving it a shot today because it looks fun.
IMAGE(http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Nasrod/BigRedForumSigNostretch.jpg)
Take out the green add 4 Restoration Angel and a couple more pikes and you have yourself a pretty good deck.

If I wanted to play Angel-Delver, I'd play Angel-Delver.

@Midgling: I don't see how your Mana-Base is more consitent with U on turn 1 than mine.

And why is Rancor is anti-synergystic, as the Pike takes splash damage from all the artifact hate AND rancor means CA, in case of anyone not killing the creature in response to it. But I see your point somehow, there are better spell choices than Rancor. I just wish we'd have more 2 mana counters.
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
I feel the Gut Shots should be Pillars to deal with undying and x/2's (opposing Delvers for instance).

No Images?
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I feel the Gut Shots should be Pillars to deal with undying and x/2's (opposing Delvers for instance). No Images?

Since I believe that a RUG list could even be better than the Bant list, I'll try working in Pillars and such. Images Main might be a RUG option, in Bant I see them more as a SB choice vs. Titans or Angel-Delver.

RUG 'gro

4 Quirion Dyrad
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Mogg Flunkies

1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Ponder
4 Mana Leak
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Thought Scour
3 Pillar of Flame
1 Gut Shot
1 Incinerate
1 Naturalize

3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sulfur Falls
4 Copperline Gorge
9 Island

92195628 wrote:
My suggestion. Naturalize replaced by Ancient Grudge, just to keep the Dryad trigger going, seen as though there isn't to much worry on enchantments. Moving the Naturalize to side and allowing Grudge to main board gives a better Sword/Pike control on the U/W or MageBlade matchup. Mogg Flunkies gets replaced by Slumbering Dragon for aggro control, IMO. Hell, just for the late game, I wouldn't even mind the Mogg Flunkies being replaced by Jace's Phantasm, since you're at least Scouring twice, and pulling four to the graveyard. And to be totally honest(as a potential third choice over the Flunkies) I wouldn't mind giving Void Stalker some play. It controls late game bombs that can't be taken care of pretty well. I see high potential in this deck though.
My suggestion. Naturalize replaced by Ancient Grudge, just to keep the Dryad trigger going, seen as though there isn't to much worry on enchantments. Moving the Naturalize to side and allowing Grudge to main board gives a better Sword/Pike control on the U/W or MageBlade matchup. Mogg Flunkies gets replaced by Slumbering Dragon for aggro control, IMO. Hell, just for the late game, I wouldn't even mind the Mogg Flunkies being replaced by Jace's Phantasm, since you're at least Scouring twice, and pulling four to the graveyard. And to be totally honest(as a potential third choice over the Flunkies) I wouldn't mind giving Void Stalker some play. It controls late game bombs that can't be taken care of pretty well. I see high potential in this deck though.

I quite like the Stalker, but slumbering Dragon is just bad imho. I needs the opponent to work, which is bad in a deck like this. Remeber, this isn't a control deck.

Phantasm, it is. And I really forgot about the Grudge. Thx.

4 Quirion Dyrad
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Jace's Phantasm

1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Ponder
1 Dismember
4 Mana Leak
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Thought Scour
3 Pillar of Flame
1 Gut Shot
1 Ancient Grudge/Smelt
1 Faithless Looting

3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sulfur Falls
4 Copperline Gorge
8 Island

18 land seems enough in testing with the insane amount of cantrips and max casting cost of 2. The only thing that costs four is snappy+leak.
92195628 wrote:
you only need blue and green.  3 colors is impossible with the lands you currently have access to and phyrexian mana should give you enough spells.  either this deck is built like UW delver or UG delver with dryad.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

In theory the dryads should be your only monogreen spells, and I think your build pretty much achieves that. Sure, rancor doesn't give +1/+1 counters but then again they give +2/+0 and trample, so what the heck.

Can't see anything wrong with your decklist but perhaps I'd add +2 Cavern of Souls and I would maybe replace the thought scour with either feeling of dread or even artful dodge. Each of those spells is worth two +1/+1 counters on the dryad. They might even warrant replacing rancor (!) because of what they do for the other creature cards (such as delver) and the mana requirements of the deck.

With some other tweaks...

I don't see why people anyone is saying Rancor could be bad in a Delver deck. I plenty of delver decks that run Spectral Flight. To me Rancor is better, it costs less mana and it returns to your hand if the creature dies. Flight, well yea it pumps, but other than that it just gives your creature flying and a flipped Delver and Restoration Angel already have that so it's a little redundant.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

you should mos def put in Talrand the Sky Summoner. if you're previous list is the current i'd cut a dryad and the images and put in three. Then, I'd take out the pillars and sideboard 'em and put in two more gut shots and a mutagenic growth. muta can get you out of a lot and gut shot are against racing aggro
you should mos def put in Talrand the Sky Summoner. if you're previous list is the current i'd cut a dryad and the images and put in three. Then, I'd take out the pillars and sideboard 'em and put in two more gut shots and a mutagenic growth. muta can get you out of a lot and gut shot are against racing aggro

No. What people don't understand about Talrand, is that he a) costs too much, b) is easily removed, c) doesn't do anything on its own. By the time you can drop Talrand, your opponent drops Restoration Angel. Or worse.

He's just bad, in any given Format. May time prove me wrong, but I'm not sold on that card.
92195628 wrote:
Friend and I have been testing RUG Delver. Red for incinerate MB, green for Dryad MB, and standard delver cards. We tested Talrand, and honestly outside of say a mirror matchup or control he's too slow. We need to test more, but I took him out for more instants to flip delver :P
Rancor is something I'll put into our testing pile
We are using red because the burn is so useful for giving reach and just simply ending the game on the spot. 
No. What people don't understand about Talrand, is that he a) costs too much, b) is easily removed, c) doesn't do anything on its own. By the time you can drop Talrand, your opponent drops Restoration Angel. Or worse.

He's just bad, in any given Format. May time prove me wrong, but I'm not sold on that card.

I've toyed around with Talrand. He's good. He's simply not just a throw-about-put-me-in-anything card. And I agree that he's not welcome here outside of a one-of.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
As it's been said before, I just don't know how good RUG will be given the manabase. Phyrexian Mana and Snapcaster will be very good with Quirion Dryad though. Rancor will help trample over Lingering Souls tokens or chump blocking. As Burning_Forest suggested, maybe a UG build:

Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Quirion Dryad
3 Invisible Stalker

Other Spells
4 Ponder
4 Vapor Snag
4 Mana Leak
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Gut Shot
3 Rancor
2 Runechanter's Pike

Lands
4 Hinterland Harbor
10 Island
6 Forest
The problem with straight UG is imo, that you get screwed by the fact that Dyrad is not evasive and gets blocked all-day long by Undying. Pillar solves this, also Pillar is just too good in too many matchups and gives you additional reach.

New list in testing, and switched back to Mogg flunkies, because Phantasm triggers not often enough:

4 Quirion Dyrad
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Mogg Flunkies

1 Runechanter's Pike
4 Ponder
4 Mana Leak
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Thought Scour
4 Pillar of Flame
1 Gut Shot
1 Rancor
1 Faithless Looting

2 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sulfur Falls
4 Copperline Gorge
9 Island

And added SB scratch:

2 Ancient Grudge <- Random things/Pods/Swords/Pikes
2 Dismember <- Takes down Restoration Angel
1 Gut Shot <- Birds, Utility, Wolf-Run
3 Jace's Phantasm <- Kills Delver. The Archetype, not the creature. Easily replayed, easily protected by leak.
92195628 wrote:
Yes, Pillar of Flame is good against undying creatures, but that's why you just slap a Rancor on the Dryad; your damage tramples over. I guess you'll just have to keep testing and see how your mana plays out. Splashing red for Pillar and Flunkies doesn't seem great (especially with Flunkies in a deck that runs 12-16 creatures). Burn gives you a little reach, but so does trample in a way (especially on a big Dryad).

I think Adam Prosak and that other fella in LA proved you wrong.
Mogg Flunkies?  Are you guys high?  You're in red, with a certain $40 format-warping card, and all you can think of is Mogg Flunkies?  Good lawd, keids.  Good lawd.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Here's my current list...

Before people say "yunorungeistsainttraft?!" answer to that is, he gets chumped way too often or he becomes a chumper.

Creatures: 16

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Quirion Dryad
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Blade Splicer
2 Restoration Angel

Spells: 21

4 Ponder
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Thought Scour
4 Vapor Snag
2 Dismember
4 Mana Leak

Lands: 20
6 Island
2 Forest
2 Plains
2 Cavern of Souls
3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Seachrome Coast
2 Sunpetal Grove                                                   
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats