Competitive white deck help?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

Three main cards I wanted, are probably not going to be reprinted in time for the first half of 2013, which was Norn, forget the full name, but she's the 4/7 that gives your creatures +2/+2 and your opponents -2/-2.  And the enchantment that gives white creatures +1/+1 and, I think it's called hero of the blade, a card that does 4/2 and summons 2 1/1 human tokens when it attacks.  And I don't know what to replace them with.  Also, so far I've only come up with some creatures, I don't know about enchants/sorcs I'd want otherwise, I'm hoping some people coule help me with that.

Cards I figured I'll most likely put it.
Champion of the Parish. Obvious because it's a great 1 drop being a 1/1 that gets +1/+1 whenever humansenter the battle field.
Theraben Doomsayer. As it's ability to produce tokens, causes more buffs for Champions.

Curse of Exhaustion. Gives me a chance to actually get creatures out, with white having fairly
weak creatures. This, in theory helps me get out the cards I need.

Elite Inquisitor. Seems like a good card to me, if not directly in main deck, a good sideboard as a 2 cost 2/2 doesn't seem horrible to me, but the fact it has first strike, vigiliance and Protection from Were wolves(Haven't seen them a lot honestly) Zombies and Vampires(Which seem to be played a lot) These too me, feel like a decent choice, but I'm new to white decks.

Silverblade Paladin. Because double strike is awesome.

Riders of Gavony. This card seems pretty solid to me no matter what deck you're playing. Granted, if it's a burn deck, a 3/3 for 4 cost is pretty expensive, but that's what Curse of Exhaustion is good for. It's still a 3/3 that makes you immuned to creatures of a certain color.

Card's I pondered putting in.
Thalia, Guardian of Therben. It's a cheap 2/1 with first strike which is nice. And the fact that non-creature spells cost 1 more could be potentially useful. Though, it could be a problem, making things like Curse of Exhaustion take longer to use.

mikaeus, the Lunarch. Good because he can be a 2 cost 1/1 that you can build up slowly, or a X/X that you can both build up, and give away 1/1's. Seems like a sound card but I don't know.

Gather the Towns folk. Seems potentiall ok. It can potentially get a champion +2/+2 and give you 2 +1/+1. If you pull it in starting hand, that's a potential 3/3 champion and 2 1/1's out by turn 2.
Increasing Devotion. Again, potential 5 1/1's and +5/+5 if you have a champion out.

Unruly Mob. Seems like a decent card, if you pull it really early and it doesn't get picked off, if you do lose some 1/1 tokens or what not, it could potentially be powerful.  But, for that fact, it'll probably be downed early, and if you pull it late game.  It probably wouldn't be as useful. 

if you go to the standard tier 1 forum there's a humans W/x thread that might help you a lot. I use to run a R/W human build. It was some thing like

It was pretty good at blowing people out turn four to five. Rally The Peasants is simply amazing.
I'm trying to stay mono white if possible.  I'm also trying to focus on cards that aren't any older than Innistrad, as they'll be gone by Return to Ravnica in October.
You definitely want at least 2 Thalia maindeck. I would remove the curse and Thraben Doomsayer ( its too slow), Gather the Townsfolk is much better and i would run 4.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
So, Champions. Thalia's and Gather the towns folk are good.

What about other cards I mentioned, and again still not sure what non creatures spells I should put in.  I mean riders of gavony can give me protection against mono, but against say red/green aggro I can only be protected against one color.

So what do I do if they start putting up. 3/3's and 4/4 etc.  If my champions get taken out before they get buffed up? 
Just so you know....Riders of Gavony doesn't give protection from a COLOR, but rather a CREATURE TYPE. But as far as removal, board wipes are always nice, whether it is Terminus or Day of Judgement (Which might not be reprinted, i'm not sure). Oblivion ring is being reprinted, and should be considered, as could Fiend Hunter possibly.
Yeah I just noticed it said type and not color. That's what I get for reading cards at 5am.  Still, Oblivion ring is decent, but should I have any of the enchant cards, like bonds of faith or anything? the +4/+4 angel enchant looked nice, but again will be illegal soon.
A new card in m13 that is being reprinted is Planar Cleansing, which could serve as a 1 of instead of Day of Judgement? You mentioned Angelic Destiny which is a good card, but that would be up to you as it isn't going to be in m13 unfortunately.
Just so you know....Riders of Gavony doesn't give protection from a COLOR, but rather a CREATURE TYPE. But as far as removal, board wipes are always nice, whether it is Terminus or Day of Judgement (Which might not be reprinted, i'm not sure). Oblivion ring is being reprinted, and should be considered, as could Fiend Hunter possibly.

Board Wipes are terrible to use in a Aggro humans deck. There is no point to use any of them even as a 1 of. You always want a board presence to put pressure on the opponent.

Some good cards to consider for mono white humans are:

Elite Inquisitor
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Accorder Paladin (goes very well with Silverblade Paladin)
Hero of Bladehold (it is just really good right now)

Board Wipes are terrible to use in a Aggro humans deck. There is no point to use any of them even as a 1 of. You always want a board presence to put pressure on the opponent.

Elite Inquisitor
Mikaeus, the Lunarch

You are right to a degree, but you are also very wrong at the same time. You need board wipes, because you're deck is able to recover from them without much issue, while other decks may struggle getting their board presence back.  Board wipes also take care of Hexproof guys, which are still popular, as well as, big threats that white generally isn't strong enough to deal with unless you get an O-ring out. Plus there is tons of hate to kill your Champion of the Parish, even after it has been pumped up, so by board wiping, you aren't going to be killing off your own huge creatures. (Note: if you are board wiping while you are the only player with presence, then you are most likely playing wrong to begin with). Wipes are used when you are in some kind of trouble and need a way out. Not every game is going to go perfect for you, so sometimes you need to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.
Also Accorder Paladin stinks. It gets Tragic Slip**** PRE-morbid. You don't want that as you're 2 drop. Sure it is very nice with Silverblade Paladin, but its toughness is still only 1, leaving it extremely vulnerable in general. Battle cry is alright, but it is only really effective if there are a couple battle cryers out and swinging.
Elite Inquisitor is a good suggestion because of the current meta. Even if it isn't MD, it shuld deserve some SB space.
Hero is a good suggestion, I completely agree on that one.

Elite Inquisitor
Mikaeus, the Lunarch

You are right to a degree, but you are also very wrong at the same time. You need board wipes, because you're deck is able to recover from them without much issue, while other decks may struggle getting their board presence back.  Board wipes also take care of Hexproof guys, which are still popular, as well as, big threats that white generally isn't strong enough to deal with unless you get an O-ring out. Plus there is tons of hate to kill your Champion of the Parish, even after it has been pumped up, so by board wiping, you aren't going to be killing off your own huge creatures. (Note: if you are board wiping while you are the only player with presence, then you are most likely playing wrong to begin with). Wipes are used when you are in some kind of trouble and need a way out. Not every game is going to go perfect for you, so sometimes you need to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.
Also Accorder Paladin stinks. It gets Tragic Slip**** PRE-morbid. You don't want that as you're 2 drop. Sure it is very nice with Silverblade Paladin, but its toughness is still only 1, leaving it extremely vulnerable in general. Battle cry is alright, but it is only really effective if there are a couple battle cryers out and swinging.
Elite Inquisitor is a good suggestion because of the current meta. Even if it isn't MD, it shuld deserve some SB space.
Hero is a good suggestion, I completely agree on that one.

Other decks are going to killing your guys so why help them out? I cant think of any matchups where wiping the board is beneficial. Even if you are in a position where you NEED to wipe the board you are probably losing anyway. 

RG aggro has some burn, haste, and undying and recovers faster than you would.

Zombies has Undying, Recursion, Blood Artist, and LTB effects

BW Tokens has Blood Artist and can just recover quicker than you can.

Delver will just Snag stuff back to theit hand or snapsnag/leak.

Majority of the time board wipes will be detrimental more than they will be beneficial. Why waste even a slot on them?

I see your point about Accorder Paladin but if anything is going to get slipped on turn 1 or 2 it is going to be Champion of the Parish. If Accorder Paladin sticks around to attack you will be in good shape. Its decent for Mono-White Humans, but i wouldnt run it in W/x humans.

Also forgot to mention Fiend Hunter earlier. 
You are completely right regarding the board wipes, and the other prominent decks in the meta, that all recover very fast. But that is why Terminus is around, sorry Blood Artist, you don't do anything and all your tokens still die, haha. The ideal board wipe is Terminus, obviously because of the miracle aspect.
You are completely right regarding the board wipes, and the other prominent decks in the meta, that all recover very fast. But that is why Terminus is around, sorry Blood Artist, you don't do anything and all your tokens still die, haha. The ideal board wipe is Terminus, obviously because of the miracle aspect.

Terminus is equally as bad as DoJ in this deck.

Scenario 1: you miracle Terminus, but you already have a good board position and thus are winning anyway. So you do not miracle it and put it into your hand. Then it is just a dead card in hand if/until you reach 6 mana, which this deck will have trouble with.

Scenario:2  You bank on miracling Terminus and thus play conservatively. This just gives your oppoent more time to beat down on you. At this point why play aggro at all?

Scenario 3: you actually need the terminus and use it because you are already in a very tight spot. In order to win your opponent would have to top-deck nothing useful and you would have to top-deck everything useful. If you are so far behind that you actaully have to Terminus your probably going to loose anyway, unless you get uber lucky.
Playing aggro doesn't mean that you should be turning everything sideways every turn. Especially since white has a lot of weak P/T creatures, they will rely on synergy, such as exalted in m13. Aggros means you are aggressive, but you cannot blindly just swing and hope you win. Board wipes are important, even in aggro, otherwise you now have 0 answer to Invisible Stalker with a sword (or any other pump up), and Geist of Saint Traft just owns your sole. Hell, mono-white, with the cards suggested, (no board wipes), gets OWNED by a Phyrexian Crusader
Playing aggro doesn't mean that you should be turning everything sideways every turn. Especially since white has a lot of weak P/T creatures, they will rely on synergy, such as exalted in m13. Aggros means you are aggressive, but you cannot blindly just swing and hope you win. Board wipes are important, even in aggro, otherwise you now have 0 answer to Invisible Stalker with a sword (or any other pump up), and Geist of Saint Traft just owns your sole. Hell, mono-white, with the cards suggested, (no board wipes), gets OWNED by a Phyrexian Crusader

A smart aggro player is not going to constantly swing blind. Aggro is about keeping constant pressure on your opponent. Maybe that involves turning your board sideways or flooding the board with human tokens. Equipment is not impossibel to deal with as white has access to Revoke Existence and Divine Offering. GoST is not impossible either. It is easily chump blocked and killed. Theyre not going to risk losing him unless they can get rid of the blocker or have another one in hand.

DoJ or Terminus are going to lose more games for you then they will win. They stop your engine. Like i said if you are actually in a position when you need to Terminus it is probably game over anyway.

Aggro is more about keeping pressure than swinging blind. Board wipes do not keep pressure at all.

Why do your opponent job for you with a board wipe? Board wipes are good AGAINST aggro because it stops their engine.

EDIT: Oblivion Ring is also an answer to equipment.

EDIT #2: Board Wipes are terrible anwers to equipped creatures. Sure you get rid of the creature, but all they have to do is stick another guy out and your in the same boat and you have no creatures out. The answer is to get rid of the equipment not wipe the board.

The ONLY time board wipes are good in aggro deck are when they only impact your opponents board. The only one i can think of off the top of my head is Bonfire of the Damned 

Wrong wrong wrong.

Sweepers should NEVER EVER be played in an Aggro deck. EVER. 
Mr indigo is always right btw
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Never speak in absolutes. It could come back to bite you.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
Sooo, the deck you are talking about is playing against mono-black infect....are you just going to scoop immediately? Because you might as well considering white doesn't give trample, and black has protection (limited though it may be) and generally is going to hate the hell out of all you're creatures you get out. You should have an ANSWER to any card that is played, whether it be in your hand or not is a whole different problem. If your deck doesn't even contain 1 way to answer something someone else plays, you are going to lose, very often. Phyrexian Crusader all day, everyday I guess.
In the rare event that you are playing mono-black infect you do have access to an equally hard to deal with creature; Mirran Crusader. Its not their crusader that would make it a tough match up, but its the fact that they pack a pretty heavy removal suite, and they have some pump with creatures with evasion. This doesnt even include Proliferate if they run it.

After a board wipe all they have to do is stick another creature and your in the same, if not worse position.

All they have to do is continue swinging with Inkmoth Nexus, which dodges the sorcery speed sweepers.

You are right, it definitely isn't a popular deck around anymore, but it is still around until rotation, so i figured i would acknowledge it. Both crusaders are among my favrite cards in recent memory, but as you said, the removal black has access to is far superior because it doesn't even need to target, e.g Geth's Verdict, Tribute to Hunger, etc.