I know it wont happen but does anyone else feel like this? (A Plea)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a geek, I have a habbit of being picky with my things. I know this. Other people know this. I think the geek industry at large knows this.
But as I look over my D&D books from 4e, I have to wonder why I have 3 different formats of Monster books, 2 of which are not in hardcover while WotC is reprinting 1e...

Don't get me wrong if people want 1e books, great, print away.
My issue is that I feel like my edition was abandoned and left to die on the side of the road.
Monster Manual 1 2 and 3 sitting beside Monster Vault in its white digest sized body, with the soft cover full size Vault 2 there, it looks like the result of multiple leadership changes at WotC.

So if I stick with this edition for a long time, why do I get reprints of my books in hardcover so they can atleast match....

I know it wont happen but does anyone else feel like this
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
There are numerous things like this that bug me. The hardcover/softcover/digest thing is not at the top of my list, but I certainly can understand how it could bug you. Here's a few of my incompletion/non-symetrical irks in no particular order:

Seeker and Runepriest not getting any support in a "X Power" book like the rest of the classes in the PHB 1,2,3
No DMG3 with Epic Tier focus
No "Heroes of the Astral Sea"
No campaign setting for Feywild 
The Monster Vault is digest sized to fit with the direction the Essentials line took, which was quick, easy, and welcoming for new players. The smaller books fit in with most peoples' book stacks (novels and the like), and are less intimidating than the nerdy/text booky standard size.
The Nentir Vale monster book is soft cover because it also came with a map and tiles, and a hardcover book would 1)not fit in the packaging as well, and 2)cost way more given the accessories it came with. 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

The Monster Vault is digest sized to fit with the direction the Essentials line took, which was quick, easy, and welcoming for new players. The smaller books fit in with most peoples' book stacks (novels and the like), and are less intimidating than the nerdy/text booky standard size.
The Nentir Vale monster book is soft cover because it also came with a map and tiles, and a hardcover book would 1)not fit in the packaging as well, and 2)cost way more given the accessories it came with. 

Its not that I didn't know about the digest size being from the essentials line Reg, its a question of anyone feeling the same way about that being a terrible shortcoming in the D&D brand and feel of the product for the consumer.
I know why on the basic line of 'cause it has pogs in it', the question is why so short sighted as to experiment on format for printing on your fan base.
Ive never seen another print product on the market that does this. Comics, books, textbooks, boardgames, all keep the look and feel across both a brand and definitly within a single product line....

I get the rudimentry idea, but I expect more than that....
They're going to wait 20 years and reprint the Essentials books in hardcover. Sales of this product will get them through the gap between the end of 7e and the start of 8e.

Its not that I didn't know about the digest size being from the essentials line Reg, its a question of anyone feeling the same way about that being a terrible shortcoming in the D&D brand and feel of the product for the consumer.
I know why on the basic line of 'cause it has pogs in it', the question is why so short sighted as to experiment on format for printing on your fan base.
Ive never seen another print product on the market that does this. Comics, books, textbooks, boardgames, all keep the look and feel across both a brand and definitly within a single product line....

I get the rudimentry idea, but I expect more than that....

The Essentials line was marketed at a different consumer than the rest of the 4E product, thus it warrants a different look. 
As for the Nentir Vale, it's not like that was even the first soft cover book in the 4E line, and probably not the first soft cover D&D book.

It's not enough of a issue to cater to the original format, and the desire to have the books reprinted in hard cover is so low as to be insignicifcant.  

Reg I think the whole idea of this post when over your head... an emotional plea can not be satisfied with logic and reason. I mean, the title even says "I know it won't happen" and "a plea"
You're criticizing me for wasting your time in a thread that in and of itself is a waste of time?

Sadly 4e has been left on the side of the road, and you have a right to be upset. WOTC basically has dumped this edition and hopes the new edition will win the sales war with Paizo.
Actually the decision to move from the smaller books of the Essentials line to larger books was made midstream, not as part of the original plan. If you look back over posts from the period, it was commented on how Heroes of Shadow was reformated to the larger, hardcover size - most likely from complaints from some about the size/paperpack status of the base Essentials line. (I personally liked the smaller format, just wanted them in hardcover. But this seems to indicate that all of 4e was to be "Essentials Size" going forward from Essentials release, but that got changed after the fact...