Bard of All Trades & Jack of All Trades Feats combined?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

As a Cleric multiclassed in Bard, can I take both Bard of All Trades (Class feat) & Jack of All Trades (general feat) Feats combined for a total of +5 to untrained skills?  

They do not mention that you cannot have both. 
They both grant feat bonuses, so they do not stack.

As a Cleric multiclassed in Bard, can I take both Bard of All Trades (Class feat) & Jack of All Trades (general feat) Feats combined for a total of +5 to untrained skills?  

They do not mention that you cannot have both. 

What rule dissallows them stacking? Im new and want to learn from the rule statement. Could you point me to the rule please.

Could I take Skill Focuses in skills that I get bonuses from other feats/class/race/theme bonuses?

What about Bardic Knowledge +2 to 6 skills, but I get bonuses from Bard of all trades +3 along with Theme bonuses and Discipline of lore +1 all trained skills . They all add bonuses to the skill but seem to be able to be taken.

Trying to discern what speciically you can and cant do.

Thanks    

In the rules for 4e (both in PH1 and RC) they mentioned bonus types. Not all bonuses have a type, but the ones that do, do not stack with themselves. So if you have a feat bonus from two different sources, you take whichever is greater. Same with power, enhancement, racial, item, etc. Bonuses of the same type never stack.

Note that nowhere where the bonus comes from, if does not have a listed type "+X type bonus" then it stacks with everything.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

In the rules for 4e (both in PH1 and RC) they mentioned bonus types. Not all bonuses have a type, but the ones that do, do not stack with themselves. So if you have a feat bonus from two different sources, you take whichever is greater. Same with power, enhancement, racial, item, etc. Bonuses of the same type never stack.

Note that nowhere where the bonus comes from, if does not have a listed type "+X type bonus" then it stacks with everything.

OK, thanks, I'll have to try to figure out what does stack and what doesn't. So you are saying anything stating a broad category like +X untrained do not stack rather than specific skills like +X Bluff that would stack?
It depends entirely on the type the bonus has.  If a bonus has a type, it will be listed before the word bonus; for example, 'a +3 feat bonus' or 'a +1 item bonus'.  Bonuses of the same type do not stack.  If you have a +2 feat bonus to bluff, and a +4 feat bonus to bluff, you only take the larger number, and you have a +4.  However, a +2 feat bonus to Bluff and a +4 item bonus to Bluff, they do stack, and you have a +6.

An untyped bonus ('+2 bonus') will stack with anything, EXCEPT the same bonus from the same named game element.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Bard of all Trades: Prerequisite: Bard
Benefit: You gain a +3 feat bonus to all untrained skill checks.

Bardic Knowledge:Prerequisite: Bard
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, Religion, and Streetwise checks.

Disciple of Lore:  Prerequisite: Intelligence 13
Benefit: You gain a +1 (untyped) bonus to skills in which you have training.

Skill Focus: Prerequisite: Training in chosen skill
Benefit: Choose a skill in which you have training. You gain a +3 feat bonus to the chosen skill.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time you select this feat, choose a different skill.

Themes generally give Power bonuses to skills, ex:   Earthforged Level 5 Feature (5th level): You gain a +2 power bonus to Endurance checks. Further, ...

Essentially every element (feat, race, power, class feature, etc) will tell you what type of bonus it is giving to any particular roll (attack roll, skills, etc).  If it does not give you a type, it is an untyped bonus.
You only take the largest of each type of bonus.  So if you had a +3 from Skill Focus (diplomacy for example) but also had Bardic Knowledge for a +2 feat bonus to many skills, you would only get the +3 to Diplomacy, but still +2 to any of the other skills not affected by Skill Focus.

If you are wanting to make a skill monkey-ish character, I'd suggest looking into the Exceptional Factotum Helm (+1/2/3 item bonus scaling per tier to untrained skill checks), and the Jack-of-All-Trades rogue Paragon Path for a +2 bonus to all skill checks. In addition to a few of the things already mentioned.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis