Intro Pack Speculation

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello All, 

I'm fairly new to the MTG cardgame as I was kind of sucked into the game by my friends this past month. I was going to go purchase an Avacyn Restored Intro Pack in order to get myself started but I was advised to attend the pre-release of the 2013 Core Set as I would be able to purchase one of the new Intro Packs.

Is there any speculation on what the decks will be (color combos), and according to the current sneak peaks of the cards, which color(s) will probably be the best? (Best being used fairly loosely here, because I understand each color has its perks, but it's obvious that every time a new set comes out, there are some decks that are just really really bad.) 

All I'm seeking is a strong start into this hobby. Thanks! 
the intro decks are mono-colored and based around the Legendary cycle

they are also not worth the $12 WotC is asking for them
proud member of the 2011 community team

Again, I'm new, so I'm not sure what Legendary Cycle encompasses. So if not, what would you suggest would be a better move on my part as a new player? I've played with my friends' decks so I understand the game mechanics but now I need my own. 
The intro packs are MULTI-COLORED.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

But like I said, is there any speculation on which intro packs [I'm assuming these are the ones here: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a... ]are which color and which one will be the best or which ones are th better ones?

[EDIT: I think I'm just going to repost this in Magic General so it gets a little more attention :D] 
But like I said, is there any speculation on which intro packs [I'm assuming these are the ones here: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a... ]are which color and which one will be the best or which ones are th better ones?

the color is in the borders, so Odric is white, Talrand is blue, etc.

the color is in the borders, so Odric is white, Talrand is blue, etc.

But the descriptions point out that they're multi-colour. (Odric is confirmed W/U and Talrand is confirmed U/R, I'd guess the rest are B/W, R/G and G/B in order)

The border colour just shows which colour the 2 rares are, same as last year's Core Set intro decks, so I'm holding out hope the Talrand's deck comes with Master of the Pearl Trident because then £10 for both Merfolk rares and 88 other cards seems like a fair price even if the rest if naff.
I am inclined to think we will get WU UR BW RB GG

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I am inclined to think we will get WU UR BW RB GG

I think if they're just going to do 1 monocoloured deck it'll be the Black one so they can play into some of the 'Swamps matter' cards, given how many 'build a multicolour deck' cards Green has gotten in this set I doubt it would be the only one to get a monocoloured intro deck.

But I doubt they'll do 4 dual colour decks and 1 monocolour so my original guess of WU UR BW RG & GB stands. 
Yeva wants you to play mono-green

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Again, I'm new, so I'm not sure what Legendary Cycle encompasses.

A 'cycle' is a set of cards that have a common theme to them, like these five lands share a common idea: Sulfur Falls, Isolated Chapel, Woodland Cemetery, Clifftop Retreat and Hinterland Harbor, from the Innistrad block (Dark Ascension, to be exact), of which Avacyn Restored is the concluding box. Cycles appear in all sorts of shapes and forms but have some sort of common theme. For instance, you could also have a Lord that gives creatures corresponding to that Lord's type get +1/+1, one Lord for each of the five colors.

In this case, the cycle is around five Legendary creatures that appear in the Magic2013 Core Set.

Yeva wants you to play mono-green

Only creatures, her ability has no effect on non-creature spells so she can feasibly work in a G/B deck that's a load of G creatures backed by kill spells and a handful of enchantments of both colours.
I don't really know what Green is supposed to do in Krenko's deck though.  I can understand Black, but not Green.  Oh well, we'll wait and see in the weeks to come.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

Jitte was in a precon. Braids was in a precon. Reveillark was in a precon... etc.

Precons aren't always terrible. Especially now that they contain two boosters.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
What are your thoughts about the two event decks, Sweet Revenge and Repeat Performance?
I don't think there is anything known about them so far

Event Decks in general are great, fairly competitive and good value
Intro packs include **two** boosters now???  Isn't that new?  They used to have just one.  Since boosters are usually $4, then I think that makes the cost of an intro deck/pack much more reasonable, assuming that hasn't gone up as well.  (EDIT:  I just noticed that the SRP is $14.99 now.  Shriek.  Oh, well, some online stores like Channel Fireball seem to be selling intro packs at the old prices, if you're interested.)

Anyway, to the OP, if you want to get one, I'd say pick the colors you enjoy playing most and get a deck with those.  It's just more fun.
The intro packs are £9.99.

Boosters are 2.99...possibly able to get them for £2.50.

A £4-7 foil rare included, and 59 other cards.

Very very worth it. 
Two of the best AVR cards came in an intro pack (the same one, actually)

I'm talking, of course, about Wolfir Silverheart and Deadeye Navigator.
Two of the best AVR cards came in an intro pack (the same one, actually)

I'm talking, of course, about Wolfir Silverheart and Deadeye Navigator.

Deadeye is complete **** and Silverheart is meh. You failed completely to support (our) point.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
it's too bad you haven't been able to use him effectively, but I assure you it's a good card
it's too bad you haven't been able to use him effectively

Or anyone else except you.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:

I don't see what reason you have to act like a jerk.  Has IAmKingTony offended you in the past?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the green one.  I assume it will come with some Mwonvuli Beast Trackers so you can use it with the legend to set up your next turn's draw to get the beastie you need.  I would love to see Silklash Spider as the other rare, but I would put my money on Predatory Rampage.  Assuming it's mono-green, of course.

Thanks for recognizing my skills.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the green one.  I assume it will come with some Mwonvuli Beast Trackers so you can use it with the legend to set up your next turn's draw to get the beastie you need.  I would love to see Silklash Spider as the other rare, but I would put my money on Predatory Rampage.  Assuming it's mono-green, of course.

It shouldn't matter whether it's monogreen or not, both rares will be Green. Both rares have been the primary deck colour in Core Sets for a couple of years now (other than 1 deck last year that had Throne of Empires as the rare). Hence me still holding out hope that the Talrand deck which I've already pre-ordered has Master of the Pearl Trident as the second rare.
If anyone is interested, Channel Fireball is selling all five intro packs for $49.99.  Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer.

I'll probably pick up a random intro pack at prerelease this weekend for some open dueling.  I like to support my LCS when I can.