COMMUNITY DECKBUILDING CHALLENGE

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I am hoping to engage the community to come together and build a deck from stratch. Think "You Make the Card" but for a whole deck.

Stage 1: Choose the deck idea

Here is where everyone throws out deck ideas, and then we democratically (maybe a poll later) discuss the ideas and then vote on what we want to move forward.

Examples: "break laboratory maniac!", "build a deck that abuses lifegain", "big red control", "comes into play angels with cloudhsift, restoration, and emancipation angel", noxious revival miracles!, etc.

Have a bunch of drogskol reaver that never got a chance to shine? Here's the chance to try and convince the community to flesh out and build the best possible deck with the cards you love.

A lot of decks in standard can be boiled down to trying to get the maximum possible value out of cards with tremendous upside. delver is breaking snapcaster mage and delver of secrets, pod is breaking its namesake, Br zombies is maximizing the raw power of geralf's messenger. From personal testing I know abusing cards with a lot of potential like heartless summoning or puresteel paladin can yield decks that are both fun to play and quite competitive.

You dont need to feel confident in your deckbuilding skills to participate, feel free to throw out a card or idea you would like to see developed and see where people try to take it.

Some basic guildlines:
Rule 1: No budget.
Rule 2: Once the idea is chosen, the focus is making the most competitive deck possible.
Rule 3: This is meant to be a community project, be respectful of the ideas of others. The idea is to bring together a wide range of skill levels, and hopefully help teach newer players who want to learn useful deck building tips.

Have at it! When in doubt, go with a "break card X" strategy.

EDIT: Im going to keep a list of deck ideas people posted, who suggested them, and my initial assessment of casual/competitive(not set in stone). Dont be afraid to post multiple deck ideas.
Competitive:
break Ajani, caller of the pride by RorixCollector/highwaypatrol
break sublime archangel by RorixCollector
UW delver by catowner (I assume he is joking)
B/W Token w/ blood artist and falkenrath noble by eddned

Casual:
reliquary tower by scally
chandra 3.0 by highwaypatrol
spikeshot elder+grafted exoskeleton by tehbeast
Tibalt? by Nocculum (and general interest in how bad tibalt is!)
door to nothingness 

Ideas by mr.physics:
leonin relic-warder+phyrexian metamorph combo
U/G Quirion Dryad delver
heartless summoning combo
puresteel paladin aggro-combo

OK then. Seen as no card has been chosen by the mr.physics, I would like to see what can be done with Reliquary Tower. Reliquary Tower is going to be back in M13, as discussed here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... .

I was thinking of Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and Increasing Confusion as a really long-winded way of having a load of cards in hand that keep coming back as you cast them. It's a pretty daft idea but recently I've been all about decks that draw loads of cards and not much else (win-conditions are overated anyway, right?).

So my ideas aren't all that competitive but I would like to see what can be done to get the most out of the 'Tower.
Scally you bring up an oversight I forgot to discuss in the initial post. Since M13 will be out by the conclusion of deckbuilding, you can bring up those cards if youd like (i.e. we are building decks that will be standard legal until the next rotation).

I think the tower could be a lot of fun if people can divine a use for all those cards (venser's journal perhaps??).

My final goal of this community deck challenge is to design a complete deck (i.e. also build a sideboard, as well as test vs a gauntlet and discuss sideboarding strategies vs top decks (delver/pod/zombies/whatever is top 8'ing major tournaments in the future).

However, I dont want to stifle any ideas, so I propose that in the final discussion there will be a poll where we nominate and choose to develop both a deck people think has potential game vs the meta, as well as a "fun" deck without any restrictions whatsoever. But, the goal would still be to make the "fun" deck as competitive as possible.

Deck Idea: Somehow abuse the loop caused by leonin relic-warder and phyrexian metamorph. Both of these cards arent bad in their own right, the problem is how to make the loop useful with cards like suture priest or kruin striker. (For those who arent familiar, the metamorph copies the relic warder and exiles itself, which brings it back into play to copy metamorph again, you can repeat this process as desired)
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
So my ideas aren't all that competitive but I would like to see what can be done to get the most out of the 'Tower.

Human Necro:

4 Tandem Lookout
4 Champion of The Parish
2 Captain of the Mists
4 Thraben Doomsayer
4 Nearheath Pilgrim
4 Mentor of the Meek

4 Mass Appeal
4 Gather the Townsfolk
3 Tamiyo
3 ???

4 Reliquary Tower
20 Lands.

Well, it draws cards, at least. I  don't think we can get Reliquary Tower any good in this Format.
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
I don't see how Reliquary Tower can possibly be a build around me card my vote goes to Ajani 3.0 or Sublime Archangel.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

My vote is for ajani
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
But that's using already powerful cards :c I'd rather use interesting undiscovered cards
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Oh wait. What about a Chandra.dec!
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded and Reliquary Tower could combo very well in a heavy draw control deck - the intent being to one hit your opponent, or at the very least, combo with Sorin's Vengeance to kill by turn 5/6.

I don't see the combo
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded and Reliquary Tower could combo very well in a heavy draw control deck - the intent being to one hit your opponent, or at the very least, combo with Sorin's Vengeance to kill by turn 5/6.

Unless you are going to Tibalt yourself with all the cards in your hand and somehow redirect it...I don't see the connection between the two cards My friend actually has a Sorin's Vengeance deck right now, and it is actually pretty funny has he has 4 foils of it, and uses it for his wincons along with Sorin Markov, and its actually pretty competitive.
Maybe he thought Tibalt targetted a player with his draw?
I was more thinking the planeswalkers provides a deck thinning resource.

I meant combo very well as in 'work together in a draw based control deck', not together as a combo. 
The only thing Tibalt has synergy with is trade binders and gullible people who want Tibalt.
Well that makes more sense then....but I am still yet to see a build that uses Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded in a productive way. He looks appealling at first because he provides fake card advantage, until you draw the card you need, and then randomly discards it, and you are fuming mad, haha.
The only thing Tibalt has synergy with is trade binders and gullible people who want Tibalt.

The only reason i got a Tibalt is because he has good artwork and goes with all my other planeswalkers in my binder =)

100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Collecting things is totally cool, Tibalt just shouldn't go anywhere near a deck that isn't EDH.
hahaha, I completely agree! He sniffs in any deck i can think of.
I run him with flashback cards, because then the advantage is retained as you still cast your spells from the graveyard with a 2 damage per cast boost.

But I digress :P. 
My idea is black/white tokens with lots of tokens. Also removaland board wipe to kill everything. This would be fodder for Blood Artist and Falkenrath Noble.
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
I was browsing M13 looking for deck ideas and noticed bloodthrone vampire. Such a playable 2 mana sac outlet is bound to have possibilities.

I am thinking monoblack vampires and zombies, with falkenrath noble, blood artist, andphyrexian metamorph to enable combo kills with sac outlets 
Wb tokens with Bloodthrone Vampire and Blood Artist.  Maybe splash red to feed human tokens to Falkenrath Aristocrat?
5 color control with door to nothingness, maybe fog effects, board clear effects. I think a comboish deck would be kinda neat.
Hmmmm, some involvement is certainly better than none! Does anyone know how to make polls, so we can choose the decks to develop??
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Link to Chandra.dec

its a creatureless deck thats mostly black but splashes Red for reach 
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Well that makes more sense then....but I am still yet to see a build that uses Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded in a productive way. He looks appealling at first because he provides fake card advantage, until you draw the card you need, and then randomly discards it, and you are fuming mad, haha.

Tibalt is only really useful right now in a Burning Vengeance deck.  If you can protect him and overload with flashback and draw effects like Think Twice, Desperate Ravings, and Faithless looting.  This may be the how the combo can link with Reliquary Tower to some actual competitive use.
There are a couple deck ideas I want to see about. Omniscience deck, using either an eggs-style (rune-scarred into clones into wincon-primal surge would be hilarious), or trying to use infinite self-bounce productively (Angel of Emancipation and Aether Adept can bounce selves infinitely that way).
The other deck is a non-white exalted deck (limited pool, but still could be interesting).

Too bad they didnt have the reverse loot on Tibalt- discard a card to draw a card. The randomness kills it, and thus would only be good so far in a flashback-grave deck (only thing i can think of right now is burning vengeance)
I've actually been talking about a W/R Sublime Archangel deck. It would consist of sublimes, Krenko, Mob Boss, things that throw out a lot of tokens to beef up the exalted such as; Krenko's Command, Timely Reinforcements, Shrine of Loyal Legions, etc. And nice finishers like Burn at the Stake with all the tokens if you can't attack favorably, and/or Thundermaw Hellkite for a big drop and swing with a ton of exalted.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I like this a lot. If red had some exalted stuff, I would definitely go this route as red is awesome at tokens. Burn at the Stake is also interesting because you can just tap everything except the creature yuou want to swing with, and deal massive damage via attack and burn, haha. If you are going to do this though, don't run Timely Reinforcements, its slow and not that great as it is conditional. Midnight Haunting gets you where you want to be at the EoT of your opponent to boot. I am running Lingering Souls in my WB exalted, but that doesn't help W/R almost at all. Krenko's Command is nice, as is Gather the Townsfolk for token stuff.
Anyone interested in a worldfire deck? i.e. worldfire + thragtusk?, spelltwine worldfire that delver decks gutshot... Could be funny