Challenge 4 makes no sense (solution spoiler)

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
The solution is to take the cheaper equipment item off the troll, and put it on your attacker along with the lightning greaves, attack, then kill the troll when it blocks with your instant. However, if you do the exact same thing without stealing the cheaper equipment back off the troll, the troll regenerates and your damage doesn't go through. The equipment you stole makes no actual difference to the situation at all, and in no way explains why the troll wouldn't regen.

This seems pretty crappy, especially since the "attack and then kill the troll with the instant" solution is incrediblty obvious indeed, will be attempted by most players only to see it fail due to regeneration, then not try that avenue again because none of the variables should be able to make it so the troll can't regen.
If anyone could PM me the source of the various avatars and achievement pics in DotP13, it'd be much appreciated
It's been awhile since I did the challenge, but I don't think I did it that way.  Maybe you were on Mage, and that made the AI occasionally "forget" to regen?

I have noticed some randomness in the challenges, most notably in the one with the 5 Praetors -- at least once he cast a spell at the very beginning of the match before I made a move, whereas the other times he didn't.
Actually the equipment is important because it gives trample.

Shameless self plug: the issue was discussed in this thread:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I'm playing on the hardest setting, but the setting doesn't affect challenges anyway as you can see from the way you always get a gold trophy for them. It seems difficulty just biases the opponents deck in their favour, and so has no meaning in challenges or encounters.

The fact the equipment gives trample is meaningless; you have less power than the blocker has toughness. There is literally no difference in the practical circumstances if you have the trample equipment on or not, yet he won't bother regening if you have it equipped. Not having it equipped doesn't give you less power, it only deprives you of the pointless trample ability, yet in that scenario the troll regens and you fail the challenge. 
If anyone could PM me the source of the various avatars and achievement pics in DotP13, it'd be much appreciated
The challenge was based on a real and useful aspect of MtG that seems to elude you.

Please read the solution, learn that "once blocked only blocked" rule as well as what happens when a destoryed creature is regenerated and then come back. You will have laughs about this thread.
Oh mighty lord of logic, please explain how what you said has any bearing on this.

Let me lay it out:

1. You attack

2. He blocks

3. You cast an instant kill spell

4. He regens

5. You fail the challenge

Compare:

1. You take off his trample equipment and put it on your attacker

2. You are still weaker than him in every sense; he would take your hit and kill your attacker

3. You attack

4. He blocks

5. You cast an instant kill spell

6. He doesn't regen

7. You win 

Scenario 1:
Your attacker is considered blocked, you destroy the troll, the troll regenerates, but regen removes the blocker from combat.  So your attacker is blocked by 0 toughness.  But because no trample, no damage goes through.

Scenario 2:
Your attacker is considered blocked, you destroy the troll, the troll is dead.  Your attacker is still blocked, but because it is being blocked by 0 toughness, all the damage goes through.

Hypothetical scenario 3:
Your attacker is considered blocked, you destroy the troll, the troll regenrates, but regen removes the blocker from combat.  So your attacker is blocked by 0 toughness.  Because of trample, all damage goes to player.

So you see, it doesn't matter whether the AI regenerates the troll or not when you have trample.

Do resolution and stack order mean anything to you?  The challenge worked just fine for me (I just tested it again).
Oh mighty lord of logic, please explain how what you said has any bearing on this.

Let me lay it out:

1. You attack

2. He blocks

4. He regens

5. You fail the challenge

Compare:

2. You are still weaker than him in every sense; he would take your hit and kill your attacker

3. You attack

4. He blocks

5. You cast an instant kill spell

6. He doesn't regen

7. You win 

That's not what happens. This is what happens:

Let me lay it out:

1. You attack

2. He blocks

4. He regens

5. Regenerating removes his creature from combat (it's wierd, but this is part of regenerating)

6. Even though there's no longer any blocker now, your creature is still considered to be blocked, so you deal no damage to the opponent

7. You don't kill him and fail the challenge

Compare:

2. You attack

3. He blocks

4. You cast an instant kill spell

5. He does regen

6. Regenerating removes his creature from combat (it's wierd, but this is part of regenerating)

7. Even though there's no longer any blocker now, your creature is still considered blocked, but since your creature has trample all the damage tramples over to the opponent

8. You kill him and win the challenge

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
I honestly have no idea what the regeneration removing from combat stuff means.  From my (limited?) understanding, if they regenerate in response it will resolve first; while if they regenerate first, you can cast an instant in respons that will resolve first.  Simply respond to the regeneration with your instant and yours will resolve first.
I honestly have no idea what the regeneration removing from combat stuff means.  From my (limited?) understanding, if they regenerate in response it will resolve first; while if they regenerate first, you can cast an instant in respons that will resolve first.  Simply respond to the regeneration with your instant and yours will resolve first.

While you are correct that you can cast your spell in response to regeneration, the AI can also activate regeneration in response to your spell (which is actually the right move)

However, because of the "remove from combat" part of regeneration, the challenge solution works either way.  These are the relevant rules

Regeneration removes from combat:

• 614.8. Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word “instead” doesn’t appear on the card but is implicit in the definition of regeneration. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.” Abilities that trigger from damage being dealt still trigger even if the permanent regenerates. See rule 701.11.

Removed from combat means it stops being a blocker:
506.4. A permanent is removed from combat if it leaves the battlefield, if its controller changes, if it phases out, if an effect specifically removes it from combat, if it's a planeswalker that's being attacked and stops being a planeswalker, or if it's an attacking or blocking creature that regenerates (see rule 701.12) or stops being a creature. A creature that's removed from combat stops being an attacking, blocking, blocked, and/or unblocked creature. A planeswalker that's removed from combat stops being attacked.

Trampler that is blocked but no creatures blocking it deal all damage to player:

• 702.18c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

@HeiryoGlyph: Your instant causes the regeneration, you can't use it after he regenerates.

@konokono: That would certainly explain it, but I find that very confusing since it's not like his toughness is reduced to zero for other purposes; for example, can creature can't be regenerated if his toughness is reduced to zero, apparently. So his toughness isn't actually reduced to zero per se, it's effectively zero in terms of how much he blocks but in no other sense? If so, that's fair enough, but I've seriously never come across that rule before, thoug admittedly haven't played MTG consistently for well over a decade.
    @Tropxe
    See above.

I am not sure, but I think the rule was changed at some point.  Someone with better knowledge of the game's history might know more
    @HeiryoGlyph: Your instant causes the regeneration, you can't use it after he regenerates.

@konokono: That would certainly explain it, but I find that very confusing since it's not like his toughness is reduced to zero for other purposes; for example, can creature can't be regenerated if his toughness is reduced to zero, apparently. So his toughness isn't actually reduced to zero per se, it's effectively zero in terms of how much he blocks but in no other sense? If so, that's fair enough, but I've seriously never come across that rule before, thoug admittedly haven't played MTG consistently for well over a decade.

The creature's toughness is not zero but the creature is no longer blocking your creature. Since there's no creature's blocking, there's zero toughness among blocking creatures and all the damage tramples over.

Most people don't know this rule. I think the whole point of this challenge is to teach uncommon rules interactions. It teaches this rule and it also show a situation when an equipment can be attached to an opponent's creature.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

Sadly the AI uses its regeneration before I use my instant.  While I understand how this is supposed to work now it certainy does not follow the order outlined.  You can simply wait for the AI to use regeneration and respond accordingly.  Also, I certainly can respond with an instant to regeneration.  Only once the ability resolves is the target actually consider to be regenerated so the instant will take effect prior to it resolving.
    Magic 101: Once a creature that is regenetared dies due to damage or destroy effects, it is tapped instead.

Magic 103: If the said creature was during combat phase (before the damage assignment phase that is), it is removed from combat and tapped.

Moving along.  
    What a stupid rule. Magic really needs to streamline and clean up all these little rules that contradict each other.
    Sign In to post comments