Help in building a Lightning Runner (does this shenanigans build work?)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
-Does not work due to Errata, thanks mellored-

Sorry, I just can't let it go, heh.
In looking for more ways to abuse Lightning Soul, the Psion's (lvl3 at-will) Burning Flux caught my attention.
I've tried running searches on the subject, and only found this: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
So I guess the verdict is:
58109508 wrote:
I'm not see anything you could do to yourself that wouldn't be better done to the enemy directly...

So can we?

Here are the basics to the combo:
Show
Show
Lightning Soul

You gain a +3 feat bonus to lightning damage rolls. This bonus increases to +4 at 21st level.
In addition, whenever you take lightning damage from an attack, one enemy within 5 squares of you takes 10 lightning damage. This damage increases to 15 at 21st level.

Show

Burning Flux

You telekinetically grasp empty space and shape it into a whirlwind of burning, grasping filaments that sears nearby enemies.

At-Will        Augmentable, Fire, Implement, Psionic, Zone
Standard Action      Ranged 10

Target: One creature

Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex

Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Effect: Choose a square in the target’s space. That square becomes a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the zone, starts its turn there, or starts its turn adjacent to it takes fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Augment 1

Effect: As above, and the zone is totally obscured.

Augment 2

Area: burst 1 within 10 squares

Target: Each creature in burst

Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. The zone is totally obscured, and any creature that enters the zone or starts its turn there takes fire damage equal to your Wisdom modifier.

So using a Lightning Weapon (Staff), can we can turn all of Burning Flux's damage into lightning, including the secondary zone damage effect?
This is the part I'm most unclear on.
If yes, proceed to the build:
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

level 16
Human, Psion|Battlemind, Breach Warden
Discipline Focus (Hybrid): Shaper Focus (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Hybrid Talent: Battlemind Armor Proficiency
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 24, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10.

AC: 32 Fort: 28 Reflex: 24 Will: 24
HP: 112 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +15, Heal +9, History +7, Insight +9, Intimidate +8, Nature +9, Perception +9, Religion +7, Stealth +11, Streetwise +8, Thievery +11, Athletics +10

FEATS
Human: Defender of the Wild
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Psionic Celerity
Level 4: Fast Runner
Level 6: Nimble Runner
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Lightning Soul
Level 12: Fleet-Footed

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 3: Burning Flux

ITEMS
Lightning Accurate staff +4, Eldritch Serpent Wyrmscale Armor +4, Fleetrunner Boots (paragon tier)

Important stats:
+1 Wis mod for minimal self-damage
13 starting Str for Warden MC->Breach Warden PP
18 starting Con for max Elemental Breach damage
Any 6 speed race with + to Con (race speed subject to change depending on speed boosts)

Show
Effects:
The current run speed of the build is 16, 17 if we spend a PP.
First, mark the enemy with Battlemind's Demand.
Then cast Burning Flux on ourselves, (and disregard if we hit or not, we have 9 int), placing a zone on our square.
Proceed to run back and forth 15 or 17 squares, the odd number is important, you must end up adjacent to the Flux square.

This zaps a marked enemy within 5 squares with 17 lightning damage (10 Lightning Soul + 7 Breach Warden).
Turn 1 zaps 7 or 8 times dealing 119 or 136 damage, with us taking 7 or 8 damage.

Turn 2 starts with us taking damage for being adjacent to the zone.
Cast another zone at our feet, we now have two dance squares to boogie on.
Run 15 or 17 squares, again, ending up adjacent to the new zone.
Turn 2 zaps the enemy 16 or 18 times, which is 272 or 306 lightning damage, and hurts us for 16 or 18 damage.

So does this combo work?
Is the damage worth revolving the whole character build around?
Again, something that is totally raped by Lightning Resist.

What other boosts to speed can we get?
Any fluff ideas (all I have right now is some sort of Storm Caller/Rain Dancer or a breakdancing Sonic high on batteries and meth)?
So using a Lightning Weapon (Staff), can we can turn all of Burning Flux's damage into lightning, including the secondary zone damage effect?

Yes.

However, Burning flux has been errated.  
A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

I'm not sure if there's any other zones that can be (ab)used.

What other boosts to speed can we get?

Gnoles have Con and speed 7.  
A revenant half-elf (or just a monk) with falling needle can get alot of minor action shifts, which could be boosted/

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Ah really?
My CBuilder is updated and I didn't see such a limitation.
Can you point me towards the errata (even a date will do)?
Thanks. 
Ah really?
My CBuilder is updated and I didn't see such a limitation.
Can you point me towards the errata (even a date will do)?
Thanks. 

It's in the compendium that as 1/turn...

It was a few months ago, they updated alot of zones to 1/turn.  And it's in the compiled update.

Burning Flux
Page 85: Append the following sentence to the Effect
entry. “A creature can take this damage only once per
turn.”

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.