4e ending with digital tools still missing?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I remember being so excited when 4e first came out about the digital tools that would change the way I play and DM.
While I love how the character builder came out, and hope they continue adding to and supporting it.
The DM tools though are underwhelming.

Right now we have a monster builder, which is great, but for my own needs I would be much more interested in an encounter builder. A list of all the monsters that I can filter just like in the monster builder, but also adding traps and hazards and fantastical terrain into that list.
I could set an xp budget by entering the number of player and lvl, it could auto filter for lvl range, its a simple formula we all know... What I want from this is printing an encounter on a single page instead of flipping from one end of a book to another or worse from book to book to book, or try to find monsters from Dungeon Mag....

Organizing my tiles is insane but I have a good system... If I had a digital system I'd be over the moon. This one is really simple, its the tile system in digital form, no print button just to help me plan ahead....

So why are these tools not out there?
Am I the only one who wants more?
Why is there one tool in the Adventure ToolS app?
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
When 4e was released, its ambitions were larger than its wallet.  The tools they did develop were more expensive than they hoped, ran totally over budget.  Moreover, they had to deal with piracy, which led them to convert the tools to the current online model, and that ate into more of the budget.  And then they shifted their attention to Next so there's absolutely no incentive to deelop new online tools for 4e. 

It's just another of the catalog of missteps, misfires, mid-edition direction changes that characterized 4e.
  It's just another of the catalog of missteps, misfires, mid-edition direction changes that characterized 4e.

such a shame as 4e is my prefered system. I am reminded of a little show called firefly which was never allowed to shine due to network problems that had nothing to do with the show itself....

Wrecan, do you think the 4e character builder will still be supported after nexted with tools like homerules, or even my ability to still use it?
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
No idea.  I have no inside information.
Sign In to post comments