TheoryOp: ways to exploit Magmasoul?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed the property of the Magmasoul manifestation: "Whenever you take fire damage, your melee attacks deal 1d6 extra fire damage until the end of your next turn."

Since it's extra damage, it stacks with itself. So I figured, if you can walk in and out of a fire zone for example, you could build up some pretty ridiculous static bonuses to all your attacks.

Any ideas for how to 1) ensure you take fire damage many times per round, 2) survive all that damage, and 3) preferably have lots of attacks as well?

Disclaimer to ward off the usual protests: this is theoretical, and it's just for fun. If you don't find it fun, that is okay. Other people might. 
Dragonborn sorc Reincarnate Champion Genasi.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
For #3, I think a BB/BR battlemind will likely be best. Con is a racial bump for genasi, too.

#2: the obvious solution to me would involve THP. Not sure how to generate it though. If each instance of fire damage is only a single point somehow, it might not really be a big deal. 
A rebreather does have lots of attacks, and hits itself a lot.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Dragonborn sorc Reincarnate Champion Genasi.

Oooh. Needs Double Manifestation to get Magmasoul for real, but...I like it. Easy to create a zone to move in and out of.

I wonder if it's possible to combine with the Blender, since a lot of the pieces are already there...

EDIT: I'm slow to post! Breath isn't a melee attack though, so it wouldn't get boosted itself. But it can set up a fire zone, which is very very nice.

EDIT 2: Blender obviously doesn't work, can't be Storm sorc and Dragon sorc... ah well. Breach Warden works very nicely with that build (need to MC primal anyway).

There are a number of things that let you take damage in order to create an effect...all of them I could find were untyped though. Any fire ones?

Also, if taking fire damage from a zone created by an attack, does that mean you took fire damage "from an attack"? If so, Fiery Blood adds a bit more to it.

Heavenly Heritage solves the survival issue pretty well.
Ring of the Crimson Sun will give you THPs every time you take fire damage from an attack.  That could help keep the party going.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Find someway to do reliable fire damage to an ally and take Nusemee's Atonement.  That bounces the damage to you.  I was thinking a warlock with eldritch strike and an area attack that does fire.  Then you get to do the melee attacks often too.
Fiery Blood works really well with this. 

And although it's hard to do multiple times/round, Bladesingers can deal a little fire damage to themselves with Dancing Fire (or any Bladespell when you Admixture them). 
Don't know if it was mentioned but you could try to find an item for Fire resistance also. You would get the damage bonus as long as your taking "any" fire damage.
Does the double manifestation work this way as you could DM to firesoul for a resitance? 
EDIT 2: Blender obviously doesn't work, can't be Storm sorc and Dragon sorc... ah well. Breach Warden works very nicely with that build (need to MC primal anyway).

You sure?

Hybrid talent can be taken twice.  Of course, you loose your PP, but... meh.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Don't know if it was mentioned but you could try to find an item for Fire resistance also. You would get the damage bonus as long as your taking "any" fire damage.
Does the double manifestation work this way as you could DM to firesoul for a resitance? 

Yep.  Just keep in mind that if you reduce your damage taken to 0, you're no longer taking damage.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

You sure?

Hybrid talent can be taken twice.  Of course, you loose your PP, but... meh.

Pretty sure you can't take the same Hybrid Talent option twice, though.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Yep.  Just keep in mind that if you reduce your damage taken to 0, you're no longer taking damage.

Yeah it would be a delicate balance. If you have at least some it could help with the bleed over from THP's. Keeps you up and running while giving you some extra damage.

Nusemnee's Atonement looks like a great idea.

Like I said, Heavenly Heritage should be good enough to handle survivability. Just make sure, maybe with DR, that you're not taking tons of damage all at once.

Are zones considered part of the attack? As in... if I were to create a zone with conflagration breath and then walked through it, would that trigger Fiery Blood? And if I have Nusemnee's and my allies walk through the zone, can I take the damage for them?

@mellored: Even if you could lose the PP to get both options, you wouldn't be able to get Lightning Fury anymore...
A rebreather does have lots of attacks, and hits itself a lot.

Secoonded. Dragonborn rebreather. Just keep toasting everybody.
Sign In to post comments