Flaming Thorn, A Desert Wind Monk

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Death by a Thousand Burning, Thundering Cuts

Build Synopsis

Desert Wind Monk. Eladrin race unlocks Dancing Thorn Style, giving a +1 to implement attacks while holding a longsword. This compensates for the loss of a superior implement, because Flaming Thorn wants to attack through its Firewind Blade. The build revolves around using the Sarifal Feywarden theme to create an encounter nova from attacks + FoB + Firewind Blade + fire auras. MC Swordmage to get the Malec-Keth Janissary PP and add +1d4 Thunder damage to all attacks, including FoB, thus dodging fire resistance issues. Cloak of Translocation and Boots of the Fencing Master give (stacking) defensive benefits when hitting and using the Desert Wind FoB's shift.

On an encounter nova, Flaming Thorn uses Sarifal's Blessing -> Blistering Flourish -> Firewind Blade -> FoB for 30 damage from tapping vulnerability alone.  On the second turn, Flaming Thorn uses Light the Fire/Burning Brand -> Firewind Blade -> FoB -> LtF Aura or Burning Brand second damage instance (note that Burning Brand does not specify "extra damage", just "takes damage") for an additional 40 damage from vulnerability alone.

On an encounter AP nova, Flaming Thorn combines both turns above to deal 70 damage in a single turn just from tapping vulnerability. Follow that on the next turn with whichever of Light the Fire and Burning Brand wasn't used on the action point to add an additional 40 damage just from vulnerability. Two turn total gives 110 damage from vulnerability tapping.

The fire-based dailies mostly suck, so the daily nova won't add all that much damage on top of the encounter nova.

Powers like Immolating Fist and Blistering Flourish will add their extra damage not only to subsequent melee attacks but also to Flurry of Blows. Static extra damage from those features is going to vary greatly, but basically anything that applies extra damage to melee attacks gets multiplied by two due to Flurry of Blows, and the build stacks a couple of sources of that.

Damage Calculation

Using the encounter AP nova here. Hit chances were calculated against an MM3 Soldier-type monster and not assuming CA or leader buffs.

Note: Per WEContact's post here, Firewind Blade's property does not proc the Sarifal's Blessing vulnerability. I've updated this post with the new numbers.

• Blistering Flourish: Avg. 25 damage on a normal hit, ~70% hit chance. +10 vuln on hit.

• Firewind Blade: 4 damage.

• Flurry of Blows: Avg. 14.5 damage. +10 vuln. (Note: Includes Ki Weapon plus melee attack extra damage from Blistering Flourish.)

• Burning Brand: Avg. 33.5 damage on a normal hit, 70% hit chance. +10 vuln on hit.

• Firewind Blade: 4 damage.

• Flurry of Blows: Avg. 14.5 damage. +10 vuln.

• Burning Brand Secondary Damage: 7 damage. +10 vuln.

Expected damage if both attacks hit (non-crit): 25 + 4 + 14.5 + 33.5 + 4 + 14.5 + 7 + 60 = 154.5

Expected damage if both attacks crit: 36.5 + 4 + 16 + 38 + 4 + 7 + 16 + 60 = 181.5

Unless I'm mistaken, Soldier HP is somewhere around 150, so if both attacks hit (56% chance or so) that Soldier is going down. A Brute will be severely bloodied and ready for someone else to cherry-tap him, and will go down for sure if you have amazingly marvelous luck and get two crits (less than 1% chance). It's also worth noting that the Flurry of Blows damage can tap one additional target within melee 1 and another 5 due to Starblade Flurry, one of whom will definitely trigger the vulnerability. The other may or may not, depending on positioning.

Calculating expected damage from the nova is actually somewhat tricky. You get rather different numbers depending on which attack misses. So while it could be calculated, I don't really see the point. But, basically, hitting with Blistering Flourish deals out an average 55 damage, hitting with Burning Brand alone deals around 70. Flurry deals 20.5 damage on average without Blistering Flourish's bonus, 24.5 with. You only have a ~9% chance or so of completely whiffing with both attacks.

At-will DPR using Blistering Flourish without the Sarifal Feywarden vulnerability in effect gives ~26 DPR, but who cares?

The Build

Show
Flaming Thorn, level 16
Eladrin, Monk, Malec-Keth Janissary
Monastic Tradition: Desert Wind
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Eladrin Subrace: Standard Eladrin Racial Traits
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 11, Dex 24, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 14.

AC: 30 Fort: 26 Reflex: 31 Will: 29
HP: 111 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +16, Thievery +20, Athletics +13, Acrobatics +20, Stealth +20, Nature +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +8, Heal +10, History +10, Insight +10, Intimidate +11, Perception +10, Religion +8, Streetwise +11

FEATS
Level 1: Dancing Thorn Style
Level 2: Eladrin Soldier (retrained to Thunder's Rumble at Level 16)
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Flurry Resounding
Level 8: Surging Flame
Level 10: Blade Initiate
Level 11: Starblade Flurry
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Echoes of Thunder

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Fallen Needle
Monk at-will 1: Blistering Flourish
Reserve Maneuver: Fiery Serpent
Monk encounter 1: Light the Fire
Monk daily 1: Risen Sun
Monk utility 2: Reed in the Wind
Monk encounter 3: Burning Brand
Monk daily 5: Salamander Charge
Monk utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Monk encounter 7: Fiery Serpent
Monk daily 9: Immolating Fist
Monk utility 10: Spring Up
Monk encounter 13: Furious Bull (replaces Fiery Serpent)
Monk daily 15: Dragon's Flame (replaces Salamander Charge)
Monk utility 16: Spiral Dance Assault

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Babau Gauntlets (heroic), Blurred Strike Ki Focus +1, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Cloak of Translocation +3, Flowform Githweave Armor +3, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Helm of Battle (heroic tier), Ki Dagger +1, Firewind Blade Longsword +3
RITUALS
Spirit Fetch

The Obvious Questions

Why not a Tiefling? Because I hate them.
Why not a Revenant? Because I hate them, too.

Also, more importantly, the keystone of the build is Sarifal Feywarden, which requires a non-Drow fey race. Without the vulnerability aura it provides, the build is pretty much pointless. Pixie is another good fey race for the build, but they will lose the +1 from Dancing Thorn Style. They make up for it with "Hey, listen!" jokes, though.

Don't you have too many items? I honestly didn't run the cost on them thoroughly. Probably. Most really aren't that important to the build, though. I might go through and do a more authentic pass later, if there's demand.

Are there any other PPs good for this? I actually tried the Ranger PP Blade Banshee first and kind of liked it, but it required WIS as a tertiary stat to be truly useful. Given that Eladrin get INT+DEX/CHA, you only need one point investment into INT at character creation to get the required Swordmage MC, whereas you need 3 points into WIS to make the level 16 feature of Blade Banshee equal the expected value of MKJ's F16, but that drops your CHA mod from +4 to +3, which trickles down and makes it basically too MAD to really be worth it. Better to suck it up and just accept the useless F11 on MKJ, but at least you get a free skill in the deal and the attack powers are wasted either way. Blade Banshee could be more palatable on a Revenant build that gets racial bonuses to both DEX and CHA, but see above.

Why Thunder instead of Lightning, especially if you're going to throw in that Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra fanart up there? Mostly just for Echoes of Thunder as another source of untyped bonuses to damage. It's only a small one, so it doesn't really matter that much. It also opens Resounding Thunder, but the build only has two Close powers anyway, one of them a daily.

Why that picture and not a different one that has a sword in it? At this point, it's just to annoy Zathris.

This should really be a Tiefling.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
P.s.: I hate zelink, too.
How did you get MKJ with a ranger PP?
He updated the character without remembering to change the PP. If you notice in the description, he mentions the Blade Banshee PP. Probably should switch out the 14 Int for a higher Str or Con as well.

And change that terrible picture.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Zathris is right about my forgetting to change the MC, but wrong about the picture.
And here I was just about to post a build one of my players used in my most recent game. She even said "I'm playing a firebender". Well...good job, build looks fun/interesting.
Your Q&A section is utterly amazing.
And here I was just about to post a build one of my players used in my most recent game. She even said "I'm playing a firebender". Well...good job, build looks fun/interesting.

There's definitely room for more, especially if you're using a different method to deal with fire resistance or increase damage output.
Added damage numbers, which I likely botched.
Monks are forced to kill using a "thousand cuts", really. Because they deal pathetic damage.

Only way I've found so far to deal any real damage with a monk is if your DM rules that MKJ makes FoB a Damage Roll, and you then add most of your bonuses to it. Also, that kinda requires Revenant Tiefling, to deal Ongoing Fire Damage with FoB, and having Icy Clutch of Stygia.

Or you can get Twin Strike, but that's like cheating.
Nice concept here, I like it. I'll continue with the Tiefling promotion, even though you hate them. They're still fun for some people.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Hmm, Fiery Blood?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Nice concept here, I like it. I'll continue with the Tiefling promotion, even though you hate them. They're still fun for some people.

This is one of the few times Eladrin is actually superior to Tiefling for a build.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine

This is one of the few times Eladrin is actually superior to Tiefling for a build.

How so? Tieflings can get +1 to hit (and +1 to damage) on Fire attacks and with the new HoEC feats Eladrin Soldier isn't any net benefit. So the Tiefling is ahead by +1 to damage on everything, right out of the gate (which with all the attacks/damage sources is a huge deal).
Dancing Thorn style, +1 to hit with the Longsword, Dex bonus and Int to ease qualification for MKJ. Plus you could fit ESA in there somewhere for a non-standard action attack.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Dancing Thorn style, +1 to hit with the Longsword, Dex bonus and Int to ease qualification for MKJ. Plus you could fit ESA in there somewhere for a non-standard action attack.

OK... see my post. +1 to hit and +1 to damage for the Tiefling side of things. For a feat, same deal. That is straight up better. The Dex Bonus is an argument (though the Int isn't, Int/Cha is an option for Tieflings). But the answer to that is Revanent Tiefling being the best option.
Dead tiefling possibly. Live one? Eladrin still wins out if you take ESA, I would think. And besides, revenants are boring as anything.
Dead tiefling possibly. Live one? Eladrin still wins out if you take ESA, I would think. And besides, revenants are boring as anything.

I'd need to run the numbers... +1 hit from dex is big, but because of the cha and Hellfire boost you basically end up 1.5 damage ahead. On a build with so many taps, some of which don't even involve hitting, that can add up.... I think the Tiefling would be comparable though, Eladrin wouldn't be strictly superior was my point. Though the Revanent Tiefling is strictly superior to either option, so.

Hey, optimal is optimal. :-p 
Hellfire Blood requires rolled damage - doesn't work on FoB or Firewind damage, so don't forget that.

And revenants aren't optimal for anything! Ever!
Also, keep in mind that any race that doesn't qualify for Sarifal Feywarden is going to lose a massive chunk (~40%) of its nova turn output. I prefer nova to DPR, though I know others have a different perspective.
For desert wind, you want a high cha.  Being able to double dip cha on your FoB is huge.
Ruins, there's a large river in Africa I'm trying to think of, but I just can't remember right now, could you help me out?
So how able is this build pre-16, if the MKJ feature is so essential for DPS? When does it take off?
Ruins, there's a large river in Africa I'm trying to think of, but I just can't remember right now, could you help me out?

Congo?
Zambezi?
Niger?
Orange?

:P 
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
For desert wind, you want a high cha.  Being able to double dip cha on your FoB is huge.

Vuln 5/10/25 trumps +1 to FoB. Sarifal Feywarden is restricted to non-Drow Fey.

So how able is this build pre-16, if the MKJ feature is so essential for DPS? When does it take off?

Actually, MKJ is mostly just there to guarantee that the build doesn't get nailed hard by the fire resistance that a lot of enemies start having in Paragon. It should be playable at all levels.

Also, somebody earlier mentioned Fiery Blood. I picked Thunder's Rumble because there are a pair of powers in the build that don't do Fire damage but will do Thunder damage because of MKJ. However, it just occurred to me that you could squeeze out an extra damage instance or two by using Fiery Blood and targeting yourself with Flurry of Blows. It'll pierce your own Fire resistance because of the Thunder mixed in, but at least you won't suffer from the -2 penalty. (Unless your next attack targets yourself for some reason.)

Evidently, this "joke" is not cross cultural, because I had to ask what on earth you're talking about, and it wasn't funny even then.
I am talking about blistering flourish adding +cha to all melee attacks.  It would make it so the desert wind FoB is 2+Cha+Cha ueont.
Can't believe nobody called me out on having both a Blurred Strike Ki Focus and Flurry Resounding. But, hey, we're Eladrin and a Swordmage, so we can actually use that redundancy. Here's a revision to the original build, incorporating Firey Blood and Eladrin Swordmage Advance:

Show
Flaming Thorn, level 16
Eladrin, Monk, Malec-Keth Janissary
Monastic Tradition: Desert Wind
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Devshirme Training: Gain Training in a skill
Eladrin Subrace: Standard Eladrin Racial Traits
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 11, Dex 24, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 14.

AC: 30 Fort: 26 Reflex: 31 Will: 30
HP: 111 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +17, Thievery +20, Athletics +13, Acrobatics +20, Stealth +20, Arcana +17, Perception +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +8, Heal +7, History +12, Insight +7, Intimidate +12, Nature +9, Religion +10, Streetwise +12

FEATS
Level 1: Dancing Thorn Style
Level 2: Eladrin Soldier (retrained to Fiery Blood at Level 11)
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Flurry Resounding
Level 8: Surging Flame (retrained to Eladrin Swordmage Advance at Level 16)
Level 10: Blade Initiate
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Echoes of Thunder

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Fallen Needle
Monk at-will 1: Blistering Flourish
Reserve Maneuver: Fiery Serpent
Monk encounter 1: Light the Fire
Monk daily 1: Risen Sun
Monk utility 2: Reed in the Wind
Monk encounter 3: Burning Brand
Monk daily 5: Salamander Charge
Monk utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Monk encounter 7: Fiery Serpent
Monk daily 9: Immolating Fist
Monk utility 10: Spring Up
Monk encounter 13: Furious Bull (replaces Fiery Serpent)
Monk daily 15: Dragon's Flame (replaces Salamander Charge)
Monk utility 16: Spiral Dance Assault

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Babau Gauntlets (heroic), Blurred Strike Ki Focus +1, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Cloak of Translocation +3, Flowform Githweave Armor +3, Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier), Belt of Vim (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Helm of Battle (heroic tier), Ki Dagger +1, Firewind Blade Longsword +3, Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (paragon tier)
RITUALS
Spirit Fetch

I'll update the original post once I find the time to retabulate the nova to account for ESA. But, roughly, you're looking at another 20 damage or so from Flurry+Vuln. If you're reasonably certain you won't be fighting anyone with fire resistance, you can have MKJ add 1d4 Fire instead of Thunder and tap another Vuln 10 there, plus 14 damage from Firewind Blade + Vuln.

ESA is probably best used on the follow-up round to make retargeting easier (and pull off a repetition of the first nova while Sarifal's Blessing is still up), unless you're looking at a solo or an elite (and can tell in advance).

Also, if you're willing to pull a masochism trick with Flurry, you can toss out an extra 5+Vuln damage per attack from Fiery Blood's secondary effect.
Please explain how you're using the Blurred Strike Ki Focus at the same time as the Firewind Blade. You can only have the properties of one of those active per attack, and you're using the enhchantment bonus from the Firewind Blade - thus the Blurred Strike KF is supressed.
The Blurred Strike Ki Focus does not require that you attack through it to get the property. It's one of several ki focuses that work that way. In general, implement properties do not require actually using the implement to attack unless they say otherwise, which is why you can off-hand, for instance, a Staff of Sleep and Charm with something else in the main hand.
The Blurred Strike Ki Focus does not require that you attack through it to get the property. It's one of several ki focuses that work that way. In general, implement properties do not require actually using the implement to attack unless they say otherwise, which is why you can off-hand, for instance, a Staff of Sleep and Charm with something else in the main hand.

The Blurred Strike Ki Focus specifies that the triggering attacks must be made with it.
You can use your Flurry of Blows power an additional time during your turn, but the two uses of that power must be triggered by two different attacks that you make with this ki focus.
Fudge, you're right. I was confusing it with Rain of Hammers, I guess. (Which would be a viable alternative, even if the bonus damage from it wouldn't proc vulnerability.)

ESA still is a good idea, though, because if it hits while Blistering Flourish is up it will proc Firewind Blade. You just won't be able to get three FoBs on the first turn or two on the second with it.
Sarifal Feywarden doesn't create fire vulnerability, it creates vulnerability to your attacks with the fire keyword. I don't think that the Firewind Blade damage would ping the vulnerability.

Style optimization aside, does that tip the scales in favor of the Infernal Prince Revenant Tiefling? The nova capacity they lose with Sarifal is not as big as we thought, and they get an extra +1 hit, a racial weapon training feat that scales (khopesh instead of longsword, see) and all the OP goodies like Imperious Majesty and Secrets of Belial.
Sarifal Feywarden doesn't create fire vulnerability, it creates vulnerability to your attacks with the fire keyword. I don't think that the Firewind Blade damage would ping the vulnerability.

Ah, good catch. I'm pretty sure you're right. FWB is a separate damage instance that's not part of an attack, and Sarifal's Blessing is indeed worded in a way that excludes it. I'll update the post.

Style optimization aside, does that tip the scales in favor of the Infernal Prince Revenant Tiefling? The nova capacity they lose with Sarifal is not as big as we thought, and they get an extra +1 hit, a racial weapon training feat that scales (khopesh instead of longsword, see) and all the OP goodies like Imperious Majesty and Secrets of Belial.

Someone else will have to run the numbers, because I don't care enough to do it.
I built a level 14 variant of this, going for full Blurred Strike abuse. Assuming you hit with your attacks, you do up to 8 FoBs per round, all of them boosted with Blistering Flourish's fire damage and about half with Sarifal's fire vulnerability. 

If you make 8 FoBs per round, it's important to get your Charisma as high as you can. That's why I switched from Eladrin to Satyr. There's only 3 Dex/Cha fey races: Pixie, Satyr and Hengeyokai. The third has no useful abilities at all, and the first is just not that good as a Monk. Satyrs have a good racial ability for positioning, which is actually pretty important for this build. 

The build

Flurry of Flames, level 14
Satyr, Monk, Unseen Hand
Monastic Tradition Option: Desert Wind
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 14, DEX 22, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 32 Fort: 26 Ref: 29 Will: 30
HP: 99 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

POWERS
Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
Satyr Utility: Lure of Enchantment
Monk Feature: Desert Wind Flurry of Blows
Monk Attack 1: Blistering Flourish
Monk Attack 1: Crane's Wings
Monk Attack 1: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
Monk Utility 2: Supreme Flurry
Monk Attack 3: Burning Brand
Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash
Monk Attack 5: Water Gives Way
Monk Utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Monk Attack 7: Fist of One Hundred Strikes
Monk Attack 9: Crane Dance
Monk Utility 10: Flame's Blessing
Unseen Hand Attack 11: Unseen Hunter's Pounce
Unseen Hand Utility 12: Unseen Scrutiny

FEATS
Level 1: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate ki focus)
Level 6: Crashing Tempest Style (retrained to Two-Fisted Shooter at 11)
Level 8: Sneak of Shadows
Level 10: Novice Power
Level 14: Fiery Blood

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike
Blurred Strike Ki Focus +3
Battlemaster's Dagger +3 
Ki Hand crossbow +1 
Magic Githweave Armor +4 
Amulet of Protection +3 
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) 
Salve of Power
Gloves of Piercing
Acrobat Boots 
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)

With Starblade Flurry and Unseen Hand you can make 2 additional FoBs against a target within 5 and 10 squares, respectively. Thanks to Two-Fisted Shooter you don't run into the problem of needing a free hand to reload your hand crossbow for the Unseen Blade FoB. 

You have several ways to make 2 or more attacks per turn for Blurred Strike ki focus. Multiclass Rogue gives you access to Low Slash, you have Fist of One Hundred Strikes and your level 1 and 9 daily for multiattacks, and there is of course your action point. This is your prefered turn sequence: 

Turn sequence
Round 1: 
Free action: move with Quicksilver Motion. 
Minor: activate Sarifal's Blessing.
Standard: Blistering Flourish. 
No action: 4x Desert Wind Flurry of Blows. 
Move -> Minor: Low Slash. 
No action: 4x FoB. 

Round 2:
Move.
Standard: Fist of One Hundred Strikes or one of your multiattack dailies. 
No action: 8x FoB. 
Minor: recharge Sarifal's Blessing with Salve of Power or Battlemaster's Dagger. 

Round 3:
Move.
Minor: activate Sarifal's Blessing.
Standard: Blistering Flourish. 
Action point -> Standard: Burning Brand.

Round 4: 
Move.
Standard: Fist of One Hundred Strikes or one of your multiattack dailies. 
No action: 8x FoB. 

The beauty of this sequence is that your action point is far from required to make it work. If you want to focus fire in round 1, you use your action point for Burning Brand instead of using Low Slash. You save Quicksilver Motion in that case for round 3 so you can use Low Slash then.

It's a level 14 build, but it starts to shine at 11 and works as a regular Desert Wind Monk from level 1.  Your damage is also outrageous, something like 200+ DPR in the first four rounds. 

Some damage numbers
A theoretical damage calculation would assume you can make each FoB against a target within your Sarifal aura. That's not very realistic, so let's say you make half your FoBs against vulnerable targets and half against targets outside your aura. 

Flurry damage:
2 + 6 Cha (basic)
6 Cha fire (Blistering Flourish)
2 Ki Hand Crossbow (only the first 4 FoBs)
10 fire vulnerability 

That's 2x26 + 2x16 + 2x24 + 2x14 = 160 Flurry damage per round, divided 50/50/60 amongst 3 targets.

Blistering Flourish does 17.5 damage. You use it twice, so that's another 35. 

Burning Brand does 41 damage, plus a double tap for another 50. That's 91. 

Low Slash does 40.5 damage.

Fist of One Hundred Strikes does 2x39 = 78 damage. Let's assume the daily attack powers do around the same. 

I'm too lazy/dumb to calculate damage with to-hit chances, so I'm not going to. Instead I'll just tell you that, in an action point fight where you hit with all 8 attacks, this build does 240 DPR for four rounds. That's 1.7 KPR, assuming average monster HP. You don't get a kill on  turn 1 unless your allies softened them up for you or you use Burning Brand early, but at the end of round two you can be sure there won't be many enemies left standing.

Of course this build is going to get screwed by fire resistance. That's what the Gloves of Piercing are for. If you're faced with multiple encounters with fire resisting enemies, or enemies who are just plain immune to fire, your DPR drops by something like 150-180 points. This leaves you with a regular Monk who still makes 4 FoBs per round, which is not bad by any stretch. If this is a recurring problem, you either need to stop visiting the Elemental Chaos or find a less clever DM
@svendj: Is there any way to slide with your attacks?  If so Stoke the Flames (lvl 13) makes for a sweet Nova encounter power after fire vulnerability has been applied...
@svendj: Is there any way to slide with your attacks?  If so Stoke the Flames (lvl 13) makes for a sweet Nova encounter power after fire vulnerability has been applied...

As a Satyr you have a racial utility that slides, but more to the point, I don't think Stoke the Flames is better than Burning Brand. While Stoke targets more creatures initially, it's a less reliable doubletap. If it worked like Flame Spiral (damage if they start their turn adjacent to you instead of end it) it'd be awesome, but with only one power that slides 1 creature more than 1 square I don't think it's better. 

It's also not a melee attack, so you lose 10 damage from not getting Iron Armbands and Blistering Flourish bonus damage. 
Perhaps this is just my utter n00b-ness with CharOp builds and making things work in non-standard ways... but how is it that you are able to use FoB more than once in a round without using Flurry Resounding with an AP, or using the Daily utility power (can't think of it's name right now) that allows a second use of FoB?
Blurred Strike Ki Focus