Advice on White/Black Angel & Demon Deck

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys, been playing MTG (Very) casually for the last decade or so, and this is my first time really trying to get into it a bit now that I have some people to play with.

So I've been playing (and modifying as time goes on) my elf deck for about 10 years now, and frankly I'd like to start something a bit fresh. I've never played anything else, I play very casually, and don't know a whole lot about MTG, to be honest. Tournament legality is completely irrelevant. So here's the deal:

I'm looking to make an angel/demon deck (White & Black), and am looking for a basic method for playing (I.e. my elves focus on using Elvish Piper/Fauna Shaman, along with large amounts of small creatures and overrun/Ezuri to overwhelm my opponent) this deck. I know angels/demons have a big problem with casting cost, so I'm looking for something to offset this. My original idea was to have some low end white/black creatures to keep me alive while I try to either gain mana or get a Quicksilver Amulet out to get some higher end creatures. After realizing the relatively high mana cost of the amulet, compared to the cost of most of my creatures, I decided against this. So far, I'm debating a graveyard revival method, and don't have too many ideas other than that.

That's my idea so far. TL;DR version is, I need help figuring out how to operate the angel/demon deck I'm looking into buying. My basic idea is certainly up to negotiation, and any info or alternative suggestions are appreciated.
Okay, so I've figured I'm going to go with a mill theme for my B/W angel/demon deck with minor mana acceleration as a backup. Right now, I'm trying to figure out some low cost (1-4 converted) black/white creatures to use to keep me alive in the early game. Already decided to use pacifism and doom blade for this as well, but I'd like some blocking power and possible abilities also.
I'm kind of a fan of the humans in Avacyn restored for smaller early helpers, specifically cathedral sanctifier, nearheath pilgrim, and devout chaplain. But then again, nothing really beats the classic chump blockers like drudge skeleton or kuro's taken. I suppose in kind of depends on what oyur plan is for the high end creatures, so the low end ones will supplement them
Yeah, Cathedral Sanctifier is one of the ones I was really considering. Life link's good as well for the early game. Any other solid ideas? Any 1-3 mana cost ideas are helpful.
Here is a kind of rough idea I came up with.

2-Seraph of Dawn
1- Aegis Angel
2-Angelic Overseer
3-Herald of War
4-Cathedral Sanctifier
1-Renegade Demon(maybe)
1-Rune-Scarred Demon
1-Avian Changeling(Also works with Semblance Anvil and is Angel and a Demon and a Human.)
2-Drudge Skeleton(Blocker)
4-Skeletal Changeling(Key card.Changeling.Works with Semblance Anvil.)

3-Semblance Anvil(Other key card. Makes your Angels and Demons Cheaper.)

You can put anything you want in the deck. This is just a suggestion. As for other Demon creatures it is up to you and what rout your going with the deck. As for other spells you may want oblivion rings/journey to nowhere and doomblades/nameless inversion.
Here's a milling Demon for you: Extractor Demon. And he would pair well with Reassembling Skeleton, since, unlike regeneration, the creature actually dies and is then brought back. Emancipation Angel would fit well, too, because the Demon triggers on a creature leaving the battlefield rather than just dying. The Angel can even bounce itself repeatedly to trigger the demon multiple times.
Thanks for the ideas guys. LOVE the semblance anvil/changeling combo. Seems like a solid way to get things out. Cathedral Sanctifier and Drudge/reassembling skeletons can do the trick til then. I think I've got my deck :-) Just gotta iron out details.
One more request-any cards out there similar to demonic tutor (but not so expensive)? I'm planning on keeping only 1 copy of the high cost creatures in my deck, and it would be good to have a way to get them into my hand quickly.
diabolic tutor seems to be going for 50 cents a piece on the site I go to and rhystic tutor is a dollar, but you may consider transmute cards if you have a definite cmc cost for multiple cards you need to tutor
Just a quickie, the only real solid mana/land acceleration for white on a budget is Kor Cartographer.

If you can slide Restoration Angel or Momentary Blink in there, then you've got some solid land speeding-uppy to get to your big scary Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Griselbrand sized game winners.

DCI Judge Level 1

Ok, here's what I have for finished deck layout. I'll be getting the more expensive cards one at a time as I go along and have money, and tweak as needed. Any further advice is welcome, but like I said, this *is* for casual play. And I know it's a bit big for a deck (80 cards), that's more personal preference than anything. My elf deck's 85, and it's got a pretty good win/loss ratio.

Nevermind, that's my deck down there. His post looks better.
Super awesome card listing!!!

LAND (32):
Swamp x16
Plains x16

CREATURES (26):
2x Skeletal Changeling
2x Avian Changeling
4x Drudge Skeletons
2x Guardian Seraph
2x Lightkeeper of Emeria
4x Cathedral Sanctifier
1x Platinum Angel
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1x Reya Dawnbringer
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Griselbrand
1x Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1x Demon of Death’s Gate
1x Elbrus, the Binding Blade/Withengar Unbound
1x Dread Cacodemon
1x Rune-Scarred Demon

MAGIC (10):
2x Mortify
2x Doom Blade
2x Demonic Tutor
2x Diabolic Tutor
1x Increasing Devotion
1x Enlightened Tutor

Enchantments (6):
3x Pacifism
2x Pillory of the Sleepless 
1x Angelic Renewal

Artifacts (5):
3x Semblance Anvil
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Journeyer’s Kite

hmmm, I'd suggest maybe heartless summoning over anvile since most of your high end spells are creatures anyways, and the drawback only comes in on 10 of the cards...maybe also consider caged sun as another option. I like that idea of santifier/demon of death's gate where if you had a good hand you could have it out for a net gain of 3 life on turn 2 and would consider building around that, but this seems like you're just grabbing all the cool guys to play with so whatever. I don't see the point of enlightened tutor since all that you'ld really need out of it is the anvil, I would assume, and you already have 5 tutors in there already. What's the point of increasing devotion, there aren't really any cards that like to snack on humans, and by the time you can cast it they're kind of useless outside of chump blocking.
Lol thanks for adding those. Still trying to figure out some of the embedding specifics

Enlightened Tutor is more as a just-in-case than anything. If I can get an anvil that I need from it, great. If not, I've got a few useful cards I can grab from it, and for a low mana cost.

Increasing Devotion was put into the deck because A) I already have it, and B) The list of high cost creature cards I was considering included a few sacrifice-per-turn demons. Had thraben doomsayer in the original idea list too, to help with that. Cut them out due to a lack of need though. In the long run I'm probably going to cut out 2 of the demons and 2 of the angels, and mix-and-match as a side deck depending on what I'm facing. Caged Sun seems like it might help a little bit later on, but since it already costs 6 mana anyways, I figure most of my cards will be usable by the time it's out, particularly with anvil on the field.
Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with token/elf decks? Or any deck that focuses on having a large number of creatures really. So far that's the only thing I'm having a significant problem tackling.
Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with token/elf decks? Or any deck that focuses on having a large number of creatures really. So far that's the only thing I'm having a significant problem tackling.

Luckily, you are in the colors that have the best sweepers.

Wrath of God/Day of Judgment/Damnation are best at 4 cmc.  This explains the cost.

Many variants exist of these cards.

Mutilate, Infest, Holy Light, Zealous Persecution, Life's Finale, Phyrexian Rebirth, Black Sun's Zenith, Killing Wave, Plague Wind, Rout, Wave of Reckoning, Winds of Rath, Akroma's Vengeance, Austere Command... the lists go on and on.  Nature's Ruin/Perish and Engineered Plague can hammer green hard, but some may feel that is a bit overly focused or unfair.

If Madman_Oreo's build is what you are considering, perhaps add some/several mana rocks (Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, Orzhov Signet) to it, as well as a playset of Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds (or playsets of both if you keep the large deck theme of 80+ cards).  Perhaps even Dark Rituals could help.

I am a fan of Xathrid Demon (plays nice with Reassembling Skeleton) and Bloodgift Demon.  Being able to draw cards - especially for life points - is an advantage you don't want to pass up.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Awesome! And yeah, Oreo's deck is my deck; when I posted it, the cards weren't embedded/hyperlinked though, and he graciously fixed it. Definitely going to work Austere Command and Mutilate into a side deck of some form...already have a couple terramorphic expanses, so I'll probably switch a few swamps/plains out for those. Yeah, the big thing is taking out large amounts of weak creatures. Curious...if I destroy all creatures with a converted mana cost of 3 or less, would a bunch of 1/1 creature tokens count as less than 3? They're technically brought on by abilities (Brother plays a white human/token deck).
Tokens have a cmc (Converted Mana Cost) of 0, so they are definitely less than 3.

I forgot to suggest Angel of Despair.  She is in your colors and has a lovely ETB ability that plays nice with Emancipation Angel.

If you are interested in an alternate BW deck along your themes, let me know, and I will post what I have in mind...

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Always up to alternative suggestions. Already got the deck set up like I listed it, but not too much stopping me from mixing it up here and there.
Ok, so I added Mutilate and Austere Command to the deck, removed Increasing Devotion and a couple of other less-mandatory cards. I tested the deck against a few others, including my elf deck, and so far the only problem has been an inability to stop early game attacks. As I thought, elves, tokens, etc. are particularly hard to fight against, as most of my defense focuses on incapacitating individual creatures, or providing myself with a few easy blocking options. Not particularly useful when you're rapidly being overrun.

Woo hoo for not knowing MTG that well...are there any cards (enchantments/artifacts) that disallow attacking from creatures with a lower power or converted mana cost? Or anything else that might help with this particular issue?
Reverence

You can put a tax on attackers (Ghostly Prison). It's rather hard to attack with half a dozen creatures on turn 4 or so when you have to pay for each one per prison.

Another way is to make an attack with small creatures ineffective or to make them even smaller: Righteous Cause, Curse of Death's Hold.

Magus of the Tabernacle makes it hard to put too many creatures out.

Or limit the number of possible attackers: Silent Arbiter.

But the best way is to simply kill their small creatures while keeping your bigger ones alive: Pestilence, Culling Sun, Infest, Black Sun's Zenith, ...
Awesome, thanks! There's a couple good ones there I can definitely incorporate into the deck. The biggest problem I'm having is early game survival. If I can make it to the 6th or 7th turn, I'm usually ok, and I have yet to play a game that goes beyond 10 turns that I haven't won.
Ok, so I've been practicing with the deck a bit. I added Mutilate & Austere Command to the original list (Austere Command has gotten a good deal of use. Turned out to be very good for it). I had one more request for assistance though. It's recently come to my attention that Semblance Anvil applies to card type, not creature type. Any creature attached to it would make all creatures cost less, which makes the changelings in the deck pointless. Could anyone suggest a set of cards (any work, just base the response on what else is in the deck) to replace the changelings with something more practical?
Sign In to post comments