Fight club

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm wanting to build a deck that is based on fighting eachother. What have you guys thought?
Ulvenwald Tracker!!! =)

I assume your deck will be G/x or mono green since most of the fighting takes place in green. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Very true but should I use day breaks. I'm having trouble with if this deck will go big or not.
Definitely Prey Upon.  ;)

Make sure to throw a few Deathtouch guys in there.
Does Double and First Strike work with fighting like it does combat? if so, you should go G/W and add Mirran Crusader and others of the like along with the aformentioned fighters, Predator Ooze, and Strangleroot Geists.
I was thinking of making the deck very mana heavy so that I could use captin of the mists and have fun with its untap ability. But I'm not sure if this is the deck for captin. I'll post my deck list later today.
Defenders are a good way to go, as they usually have considerably higher toughness than attack, so can survive their Fight with an opposing creature.

If you can utilise cards like Honor of the Pure and Angelic Wall, for example, you can safely ping for 1 damage, or use equipment to boost the wall to take out 2-5 toughness opposition. This also gives you the time you need to set up.

Green and White and Red are the natural colours to go with, I'd say. You could stick to humans to use Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Avacyn's Collar (so if your creature does die, you're left with a spirit token to fight with next turn) and Butcher's Cleaver to make lifegain a part of the process of fighting (Lightning Helix for everyone!)

As the previous poster suggested, Ulvenwald Tracker is a go to card, as is Slayer's Stronghold and Gavony Township.

DCI Judge Level 1

What about Odric, Master Tactician?
Does Double and First Strike work with fighting like it does combat? if so, you should go G/W and add Mirran Crusader and others of the like along with the aformentioned fighters, Predator Ooze, and Strangleroot Geists.

Double strike and first strike don't apply, the creatures just deal damage to each other.  Deathtouch, Lifelink, and Infect still apply, since those are based on the damage they inflict.

I'd recommend Wolfir Silverheart, and anything with deathtouch. 

Defenders are a good way to go, as they usually have considerably higher toughness than attack, so can survive their Fight with an opposing creature.

If you can utilise cards like Honor of the Pure and Angelic Wall, for example, you can safely ping for 1 damage, or use equipment to boost the wall to take out 2-5 toughness opposition. This also gives you the time you need to set up.

Green and White and Red are the natural colours to go with, I'd say. You could stick to humans to use Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Avacyn's Collar (so if your creature does die, you're left with a spirit token to fight with next turn) and Butcher's Cleaver to make lifegain a part of the process of fighting (Lightning Helix for everyone!)

As the previous poster suggested, Ulvenwald Tracker is a go to card, as is Slayer's Stronghold and Gavony Township.

I like Gavony township in the deck. Its a nice way of making your creatures bigger. Also some quick pump such as Mutagenic Growth could be very useful as well in terms of fighting and inflicting life damage.

What do you guys think of stuffy doll in a deck such as this one
This is another thread in this forum, fairly recently that talks about Stuffy Doll ad using fighting, and other massive amounts of damage. I think it could be a pretty fun card, but only fun, not necessarily competitive as it does cost 5 to play, and can easily be slipped. Another good way to help some fo the fighting if Wild Defiance, but that doesn't apply with Tracker, you would need actual spells like Prey Upon
What do you guys think of stuffy doll in a deck such as this one

It is doable. However i feel that mono green stompy stomp stomp that utilizes the fighting mechanic as a means to remove problem creatures along with bringing the beats down would be more efficient and aggressive.

So here is the deck list.  Its mono green, kind of wish it would be blue as well but that didn't seem to work out as well.  I'm hoping that I wont have to replace too much when m13 comes in.  I might throw in elf ramp, if they put in lanoware elfs.

Lands
20x Forest     

Green Spells
2x Garruk Relentless
4x Rampant Growth
4x Prey Upon
2x Revenge of the Hunted
2x Young Wolf
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Ulvenwald Tracker
4x Nightshade Peddler
2x Daybreak Ranger
4x Predator Ooze
4x Dungrove Elder
2x Acidic Slime
1x Wolfir Silverheart
1x Vorapede

So this deck has two different aspects.  It is really great with the fast pace beat down, and it is also great with coming back from nothing.  I want to make it better.  Your ideas would be great.  Yeah I'm save 4 slots for Stuffy Doll because I hear getting hit with a doll dmg to the face is awsome.  I'm not sure if it woul be good to side in 2-4 of them.
I feel that 20 forests is too little, even with mana dorks. I would probably up to 21-22 lands just to provide some cusion in the event your mana dorks are being hated on. More lands also means a bigger Dungrove Elder.

Oh and no Strangleroot Geist?

Green Sun's Zenith could be useful if you decide to run it.
One thing I have notice with this deck is that the slots are really taken up.  There is not much room to play with.  I'm trying to find what can be taken out and what the numbers should be for the current cards.  Figure that the elders, rampet, birds will rotate out.  I'm going to need to find replacements for those cards. 
So what ideas do you guys have to make this better
Any ideas for a good side board or better creatures?
So your suggestion is a worse deck. Okay.

I'm still very iffy on Ooze. Would much rather Wolfir Avenger.
Photobucket
Yeah but ooze stands up to the test, you cant murder, doom blade, day, go for the throat, or burn it away. Yeah it still runs a risk of term, dismember, tragic slip, o-ring, and a few others ( I can't think of). But it's a clock that you'll have to deal with. Because it will keep getting bigger every turn either by attacking or by fighting other chreatures. Avenger does not stand up to these tests. Plus when elder leaves the format ooze will be the best 3 drop until we see what hits in rav.
I see a green deck with no Rancor in it. That doesn't feel proper.
I want to be Cultured.
Yeah but what would I take out for rancor?
So last night was great I went 3-2

Round 1
Game 1 was quick ramped right into delever turn 2 and started the beats
Game 2 was almost the same ramped into ooze and then added death touch was death to all his guys

Round 2 1-1
Lost to mill and no answers sword body in mind
Game 2 boarded in dismembers, slims, and naturalizes but huntmaster after huntmaster was too much
Round 3 1-2
Lost both rounds to mono black, but round 2 was still fun dude Bsz me 3 times and I was still doing everything I could to win. But lost.
Round 3 2-2
Faced grixes and stomped them hard. Felt bad for the guy because he muled to 5
Round 3-2
Killed delver
I've been running a lot of mono-green fight iterations.  They're fun, but ultimately fatally flawed so far for me.  I can deal with most creatures, but the fight removal is too conditional.  I need at least two cards to kill one of theirs (prey upon and a creature, or Ulvenwald Tracker and a creature) and with the amount of vapor-snag and board sweepers in the format, I can't often keep more than one creature on the board at once.  Then I quickly get to the point where I'm just hoping to top deck a Revenge of the Hunted) before they vapor snag me.  Elder is great, but this deck might not be too hot after rotation without it (and GSZ).

Predator Ooze is a case in point - too snagable and loses all its counters.  With snapcaster around, I just can't keep anything on the board.  I've considered adding in some Ranger's Guile or sheltering word but that still doesn't help with tempo or card advantage.

It seems like it would almost be better to stick with the stompy theme and just splash another color for removal rather than set up the unwieldy card disadvantage the fight combos seem to require.  I guess it just seems like the fight mechanic is not effecient enough to compete with other top-flight standard decks.

I understand where your coming from. But the tools we have I think are great. I was killing agisnt decks which were top decks. I think my problem was that I had no rancors in the deck or sword war and peace. When it comes to decks that can board whip or destory everything you need to hold back remember they are tryin to set the clock back and prevent you from going all out but if you take your time and go slowly to a point you should be fine
Sign In to post comments