Most tragic win / loss?

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just had a fun match against talrand with my lifegain.. really long match, my lifegain just kept me alive for so long. But was pretty much mana screwed the whole game, by the time opponent had about 14 lands on board I had only 5. He did a kicked Rite of Replication on my Soul Warden and if that wasnt bad enough, a few turns later did a kicked Rite of Replication on my Felidar Sovereign

I still can't believe I lost on an alternate win condition 40+ life to TALRAND! lol
My best match so far was my very 1st online match, i was Jace and my opponent was talrand, that n00b had 100 cards and i milled him rofl, thanks to god i had 2 crabs on my oppening hand, i won after i replicated my chancellor xD.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Having someone play Primal Surge to turn the game around against me when I was pretty much set to win next turn. Watching a near empty board just fill up, gaining like 20 life from Pelakka Wurms and Thragtusk, and a few of my things just getting blown up by Acidic Slimes. Felt terrible watching that unfold in an instant.
Planechase 1vs1. I was Talrand, vs. Jace.

First plane: Furnace Layer.
My first turn: I'm randomly chosen to discard a card.
Jace's first turn: I'm randomly chosen to discard a card.
My second turn: I'm randomly chosen to discard a card. I play my only remaining non-land card: Fog Bank
Jace's Second turn: I'm randomly chosen to discard a card.
My third turn: I'm randomly chosen to discard a card. Since I'm now top-decking, I roll to desperately escape that plane and on my final roll I do so.
Phenomenon: Chaotic Aether -- Planeshift to: Hedron Fields of Agadeem. My turn ends.
Jace's Third turn: Jace rolls a blank and puts a 7/7 Annhilator 1 token into play. Jace Rolls again and we planeshift away.
My fourth turn. I draw and play a land...
Jace's Fourth turn: Jace casts Clone and gets another 7/7 Annihilator 1.
I concede....
Playing against the Goblin Deck with Ajani.

After a long game I have ~20 life and my opponent has ~10.
I have a Wrath of God in hand which I have been holding for 3-4 turns waiting for the right time to play it, meanwhile he has 5-6 dudes on the field and nothing in hand. (He has no cards left in hand at this point.)
My Turn begins I draw Felidar Sovereign, I swing with my Soul Warden (Who is currently equipped with Loxodon Warhammer.) Afterwards I play my Wrath of God.
Next Turn: My opponent top decks into a Goblin Ringleader, Which produces 3 goblins. Krenko, Goblin Warchief, Gempalm Incinerator. (With a krenko command coming in the next turn.) Words could not describe at this point how annoyed I was.

I played it out and to no avail with the game ending with him ending the game with ~30 goblin tokens on the field.
Planechase Campaign, Liliana vs. Talrand, Garruk, Ajani.

In short, it was a painfully long game, and I got hosed by several planes:

First plane, Orzhova. I get the first turn:
End turn, discarding Griselbrand
Ajani's first turn: Rolls planar die, gets Chaos, exiling Griselbrand. Rolls die again, Planeshift...
(silver lining, Time Distortion came up next so I didn't really lose a turn)

Next atrocity: The Maelstrom. Everyone gets crap, I get Pestilence Demon.
Planeshift away before I get to use him: Planewide Disaster (actually I got off a single which killed a bunch of Ajani's stuff)

And the nail through the side of my head and into the coffin:
Karasha Foothills. Ajani and Garruk leave themselves a single blocker and attack everyone all out. Talrand is pretty useless, being manascrewed viciously (seriously, he had like, 3 lands in play while we all had 8-10).

I see the opening I've been waiting for: I Murder one of Talrand's 2 Fog Banks, then cast Innocent Blood leaving EVERYONE wide open.

Then I attack with all three with Phage the Untouchable.....................................................
2HG- Choose Jace as my deck to complement my team mate's Liliana deck. For some reason my team mate switches to Garruk, so now we have little to no synergy and we're going to be open to Odric/Ajani aggro.

We get punished for a few turns, but we're doing alright. I'm getting mediocre mill going with a single Hedron crab and low CMC mill instants.

Fast forward some and they've got board advantage with a creature with Celestial Mantle. I make the tough choice to let the attack through, knowing we won't win via life points.

Fast forward a bit more. I've been land starved, leaving Hedron crab inert, but I play Archive Trap which leaves the opponent at ONE card. We're low on health, but a win is possible. We enter the combat phase, and my team mate moves his Timbermaw Larva to attack. Our opponent's have 60 life and creature advantage and he's attacking with a 10/10.

I'm freaking out, spamming attack withdrawals but he won't withdraw his creature! (Text limit on my PS3)
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Our opponent's have enough life advantage to let the attack pass unfazed, but for some reason they block him, sac'ing a creature. If they hadn't done this, they would have had a guaranteed win on their turn, but we're not safe yet. All they need to do is remove one of our blockers to win, and Odric's got a lot of removal. Or do 2 damage in anyway (Direct, haste creature, anything.)

By the grace of glorious Oden they didn't, though, and we survived the attack, ended our turn, and won by mill on theirs.

Still though, I was freaking out thinking this chump was throwing the win away for a max of 10 damage.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Most frustrating loss. 

Playing Chandra my opponet plays Garruk which is a bad matchup so I decide to just burn his face non-stop and ignore creatures. It's working and I'm 1 turn away from a win and he's sitting there with 3 mana untapped and I'm thinking I got this....Unless he's a total noob and hes' playing with brindle boar. No sooner do I think it than the plays a f'n brindle boar! now I'm cursing because I hate when a noob gets an advantage from playing bad cards, but I still got it next turn. He sac's his boar and I have enough burn on my next turn to kill him even if he plays another. So what does he play on his turn? F'n bountiful harvest! The worst card in the deck and he wins because of it. It sucks to lose to a 90 card noob
I have a couple:

One against the computer, I was Crosswinds and was playing against Jace and I managed to mill him by casting a kicked Rite of Replication on a Vedalken Entrancer.

The second, I was playing online with Obedient Dead against Goblins, I was getting hammered all game long, I was down to 5 life and he had a Goblin Fireslinger and a 1/1 token on board, I had no creatures on board, 7 mana and a Sign in Blood in hand. I cast the Sign in Blood on myself as a last resort, going down to 3 life, and drew Innocent Blood and Griselbrand. I cast the Innocent Blood and he sacked the 1/1 token, then I pass the turn. He plays a land and attacks for 1, I go down to 2 life. Then I draw a land and play Griselbrand. He plays a land, taps his Fireslinger to do 1 damage to me and put me on 1 life. I then get to swing with Griselbrand and close the game out in a couple of turns.
I was playing BoF against PK. I didn't draw any of the sweepers early but I had Flame Wave in my starting hand. I started the game doing some damage but later when Crusader of Odric and Geist-Honored Monk were 9/9, I had to switch to blocking mode. I survived 4 turns blocking this way recyling both Chandra's Phoenix I had, waiting for just one land to play Flame Wave. When I was able to play it, I cleared the board with just one life and won three turns later by damage from one counter from Obsidian Fireheart as we both only were able to draw lands.

It was both the most challenging match I had and the most frustrating at the same time.
Then I attack with all three with Phage the Untouchable.....................................................

This has to be the best story I've read, I was like "wow, now he's going to win why the negative title... oh" I burst into loud laughter.

Playing with Ancient Wilds against Liliana (a bad match up). Very long winded game involving several board wipes and lots of land draws/tutors on my side.

I finally manage to start to edge out on him by chump-bouncing my Acidic slime while destroying two lands per turn. Game ends when I completely shut him off with 7 cards in hand and no lands.
Survived a Plague Wind, Corrupt, Incremental Blight 3 for 1, and other removal.

Next atrocity: The Maelstrom.

That's odd... what system are you playing on? I've played tens of games on PS3 and have come accross all other planes several times but I've never seen The Maelstrom.
Most anti-climatic game ending ever:

I'm playing Ancient Wilds against Exalted. He's got me down to 1 life and will defeat me on his next turn unless something spectacular happens. I have Primal Surge in hand and 9 lands on the board. On my turn, I draw a land!!! I play Primal Surge. First card, land. Second card, Giant Growth. I just paid 10 mana to tutor a Forest onto the battlefield Yell The game promptly ends when I  proceed to commit suicide.

Moral of the story: don't run Giant Growth and other unneccessary instants/sorceries in the same deck as Primal Surge. Wink
last night i was about to swing for over 46,000 damage and my xbox crashed
not enough memory i guess 
2HG:
Turn 0- Opponent reveals Chancellor of the Spires
Turn 1(They play first)- Jace's Phantasm, Serra Ascendent
Turn 2- Hedron Crab, Land, Jace's Phantasm, Ajani's Pridemate, hit us for 11 damage, creating a 17 life gap

Followed by more Phantasm's and lifegain, I didn't pay attention because we just skipped our turns away at that point, as I had to go afterwards anyway, and we didn't have any removal, let alone enough for three flying 5/5's, a flying 6/6 lifelink, a growing 4/4, and whatever else they got while I was busy rolling my eyes.

Yup, you go guys, you're so skilled!

That's odd... what system are you playing on? I've played tens of games on PS3 and have come accross all other planes several times but I've never seen The Maelstrom.

PS3

And you're right, it's not The Maelstrom, but it's something very similar (which apparently doesn't exist on Gatherer)...

It's text is something along the lines of:

"When you planeshift here or at the beginning of your upkeep reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your library."

Chaos: "Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield".

PS3

And you're right, it's not The Maelstrom, but it's something very similar (which apparently doesn't exist on Gatherer)...

"When you planeshift here or at the beginning of your upkeep reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your library."

Here you go:

Grove of the Dreampods

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

PS3

Grove of the Dreampods
Just did 60,047 damage in 1 turn

apparently it won't let you make more than 100 Primalcrii 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Here you go:

Grove of the Dreampods

That's weird. I could have sworn that picture went with a different effect. I completely overlooked it in all my gatherer searches.

Oh well, that's what it was, not Maelstrom. :P
Karasha Foothills. Ajani and Garruk leave themselves a single blocker and attack everyone all out. Talrand is pretty useless, being manascrewed viciously (seriously, he had like, 3 lands in play while we all had 8-10).

I see the opening I've been waiting for: I Murder one of Talrand's 2 Fog Banks, then cast Innocent Blood leaving EVERYONE wide open.

Waaaait a minute. Kharasha Foothills. Phage the Untouchable. Tokens. Legendary creature. Something doesn't seem right. Did I miss a planeswalk here?

Waaaait a minute. Kharasha Foothills. Phage the Untouchable. Tokens. Legendary creature. Something doesn't seem right. Did I miss a planeswalk here?

Nope.

I attacked with Phage which put 2 Phage tokens into play.
"When Phage enters play, if you did not cast it from your hand, you lose the game".
That applies to the tokens as well....
But legendary. How do they all survive at the same time?
But legendary. How do they all survive at the same time?

They don't have to. I'm removed from the game the moment the tokens enter play.
Oh, was that like a blunder on your part then (or on purpose)? I guess the story cut off there and I wasn't thinking if it actually went through or not.

EDIT: I get it now, but *WHOOSH*. That was it going over my head when I first read it. Been quite a long day. Innocent
Oh, was that like a blunder on your part then (or on purpose)? I guess the story cut off there and I wasn't thinking if it actually went through or not.

Yeah.... I didn't even consider the Legend rule, much less the "You lose the game" bit. I saw an opportunity to kill three birds with one stone and went for it.

Besides, I didn't want to come out and say it. :P
The Phage tokens entered play attacking, so I did actually attack with all three.

Then I was immediately removed from the game.......

Yesterday I was using Ancient Wilds against Exalted Darkness. Everything was already setup except I will be one-hit kill next turn no thanks to unblockable flier. I drawn Elvish Visionary but my mindset already was to just play the turn since I'm already losing anyway. I have 10 untapped lands, casted Primadox but something came to my mind that made me stop and rethink. I shouldn't had casted so hastily because I might draw the spider... which after I casted the visionary...

So far after 5 encounters to Exalted deck users I'm yet to win a game and this is the closest Embarassed

Yeah.... I didn't even consider the Legend rule, much less the "You lose the game" bit. I saw an opportunity to kill three birds with one stone and went for it.

The Phage tokens entered play attacking, so I did actually attack with all three.

All you need is a Mirror Gallery and Torpor Orb and you can make copies of Phage the Untouchable to your heart's content Smile

All you need is a Mirror Gallery and Torpor Orb and you can make copies of Phage the Untouchable to your heart's content 

I did not/do not/can never have either of those things.

Although wouldn't it be interesting if they released a deck that had Torpor Orb with Leveler/Eater of Days/Phyrexian Dreadnought?

Had a very satisfying win yesterday.   I was playing 2HG with a friend.    I was running Crosswinds, friend had Obediant Dead.      Opponents had Yeva's and Garruk's.   Normally a super match up for us but we had terrible draws.     My partner had to mull 3 times and ended up keeping a 5 land, Befoul hand.   I was mana flooded and our opponents had a fast draw (well, fast for those decks).   We were in huge trouble, taking lots of damage and bouncing/killing what we could.    I have nothing but Twincast left in my hand, my partners hand is empty and we have one archeomancer and one nekrataal on the board against a bunch of green fatties and will lose next turn easily since we are at about 4 life, opponents at about 40 life from Thragtusks and such.    Our opponents have been trash talking for the last couple turns saying things like "It doesn't matter you are going to lose."    "It isn't going very well for you, is it? " and things of that nature.    I draw Time Warp.    Cast it, twincast it.    Untap, draw RoR, cast it kicked on Archeomancer.      After our 3 or 4th turn in a row our opponents finally realize they won't be getting another one and quit.    Yeah, that felt good.      Now who is going to lose asshat?
So the other night, I was playing some THG with my buddy. I was Garruks deck and my partner was the black deck.  We were getting worked by Yeva's deck late in the game.  So my buddy decides to attack with Phryexian Obliterator, and the Yeva deck chumps it with acidic slime to kill the obliterator and would only have to sacrifice 2 permanents.  My buddy was going to Murder the acidic slime, but i was sitting there with a primal below in my hand and told him to stop, and i cast primal below on the opponents acidic slime, making it a 12/12.  The Yeva guy then had to sacrifice 12 permanents.  Needless to say, we won pretty quickly after that.  It was awesome.
So the other night, I was playing some THG with my buddy. I was Garruks deck and my partner was the black deck.  We were getting worked by Yeva's deck late in the game.  So my buddy decides to attack with Phryexian Obliterator, and the Yeva deck chumps it with acidic slime to kill the obliterator and would only have to sacrifice 2 permanents.  My buddy was going to Murder the acidic slime, but i was sitting there with a primal below in my hand and told him to stop, and i cast primal below on the opponents acidic slime, making it a 12/12.  The Yeva guy then had to sacrifice 12 permanents.  Needless to say, we won pretty quickly after that.  It was awesome.

I must say that was some quick thinking and a good move there

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best
I was doing some Planechase testing the other day. I was playing Liliana and my opponent was Krenko (AI).
I brunted his initial assault and settled into a very comfortable "you can't win" position. Dread, Massacre Wurm, Grave Titan, Rune-scarred Demon etc. all in play, Krenk was at 2 life and had a few things in play, but nothing that could threaten me.  I was just scrolling through the planes looking for one in particular.

After literally about 6 or 7 turns of keeping Krenko crippled and basically ignoring him, he did the unthinkable: He attacked with a single Goblin Token.

It wasn't a threat, I could certainly block it or let it through, but then Dread would kill it and Massacre Wurm would make him lose 2 life and die....

Computer controlled Krenko literally commited suicide. He attacked for no other reason than to end the game....
Computer controlled Krenko literally commited suicide. He attacked for no other reason than to end the game....

I've seen the AI do suicide moves several times already. It's not really uncommon. After a long time of stalling they'll just quit it and do something stupid.
AI Chandra loved her flame rifts in Duels 2012, even when at no life.
Playing against Krenko with I believe Ajani's deck.

I get very poor draws (not enough life gain to stabilize) and Krenko gets god draws.
Eventually, I draw enough creatures to trade with all of his attackers.

I'm at 3 life and he attacks with a Goblin Piker. My board is an unpumped Ajani's Pridemate hand has a Lone Missionary and I feel like I want both of them incase he does some haste shenanigans next turn (next time he would have untapped, he would have had enough mana to stick a captain plus something else).

I decide not to block. Down to one life.

He casts Blisterstick Shaman.

*headdesk*
One time I went to swing in for fatal with a pumped Nantuko Shade and after I fake pumped first to try and draw direct damage if opponent had in hand, I pumped the second time and the white, hovering number increased to appropriate 6 from 2....but my 4 lands untapped as damage applied and he did 4 damage instead of 8...and then had "6" floating over his head for the next two turns it took me to lose....

Flipside, "tragic" (for opponent I guess) win for me last night. My opponent has a  in play currently at 64/64 trample and currently being locked down by my Icy Manipulator...he's taken 5 to the face already from unblocked Phyrexian Obliterator and apparently decides to make use of his hydra and end the threat....with Prey Upon... Yea I'll trade my Obliterator for your entire board... I kinda wished he had more permanents just to make having to sacrifice 64 more funny. 
Playing 2HG with random partner playing Chandra's deck. I mind controlled Yeva's 2/5 spider. Yeva has roaring primadox and acidic slime out. My partner has chandra's outrage and searing spear. He killed off Lilianna's flyers none with more than 4 strength and leaves the slime and primodox out. GG for us.

On a better note, great win. Opponents obviously not random as both their names started with "OP" One was playing Aljana the other was Lilianna. I was playing Jace and partner Lilianna.

Opponents got to go first, 1st turn Serra Ascendant. (Duh Aljani's deck WTF). 1st Turn play lands pass turn. 2nd turn Opponent plays a 2nd Serra Ascendant and attacks. I unsummon and he recasts. Eventually we somehow make it to 6th turn we're at 8 life. Partner casts mutilate, I follow up with Scalpanexis. Opponent puts the enchantment on -1/-1 and can't block. My partner cast Necrotal and is forced to target my poor guy. Game progresses I get out sword of Body and mind and jace's Phantasm in. I get a swing off before he is put to rest. By this time opponent Lilianna is down to 20 some cards. My ally casts Runescared Demon. He is murdered the following turn before he can do damage. Next turn I draw boudy double. Best target is Runescared Demon so I grab him and with ETB grab a counterspell(with just enough mana to cast it). Next play opponent Lil tries to cast Grieselbran. Whil I took a short molment to decide if I wanted to let him have it I decided to counter. Game finish with sword on demon via mill and I get a nasty message from opponent Aljani.
Playing vs Azorius AI. I was dominating the entire game, the only resistance was some chump blocks while I didn't draw much offense to speed things up, so we still got to 8 eight lands. On the "last" turn, the AI whips out Academy Researchers, equips Mammoth Umbra to it with its effect, then equips Drake Umbra. Fortunately, I was still dominating, so I attacked to "guarantee" my victory 1 turn later then, since just waiting out was definitely not the solution here now. AI's turn: Lifelink + another Mammoth Umbra. I survived, but it was still GG, as Lifelink restored the AI's life greatly, and even if I got some miracle draw, Researchers was well protected with all those Umbras (no Haste creatures or cards to damage the AI's life in the deck I used. And even then, I'd require multiple of such cards thanks to the lifegain).

I had a similar situation  the other day. My 6/6 Phyrexian Obliterator obliterator was being attacked by a 7/7 double-striker. Team mate buffed the Obliterator to 8/8 and our opponent ended up having to sacrifice 14 permanents, which was actually more than what he had in play to begin with. We were definitely going to win that game anyway, but it was still fun.