mtgo should be easier

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
im a new/noob player, i opened my first pack and got... 933 cards?!?!?! im playing and analising but i guess i will take 1 life only to know this cards and how they work and the ones that are good or bad...

i saw i should not open the boost pack and instead i should trade him for better cards... ok but which are the good cards and how much good cards will i receive? if i trade obviously i will trade with a very smart player that will give me bad cards and take advantage of me :/

this should be easier... seems to be a very fun game but its hard as hell even though i only made a deck, played 2 games and won
The number of cards makes deck building some what overwhelming.  There are pretty good filters though in your deck builder GUI.  There are some really decent deck building tutorials out there also that you can start with and then just use the filters to help limits the number of cards you need to go through..

For example if you want to build a creature heavy green deck you can filter all the cards you own to just planeswalker format or w/e format, then just show you green creatures. 
Exploring the vast universe is the fun of it!

The good thing is that the more you play, the more you understand the workings of the game and how different cards work.  So you one day won't need to approach every card from scratch.  You'll understand that this is a draw spell or this is removal or this is jank. 

There are tons of videos, podcasts, and articles online to get some foundational magic theory under your belt if you are into that stuff.

Also just playing and having fun and trying out different cards is the best way to go. 

Don't think of it as "Oh no 933 cards what do i do?"  Think of it as "wow 933 cards, I can have hours or weeks or months of fun with these!"
Mtgo should not be easier: you should just realise you have some way to go. That is fine, just be patient.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Sure its a bit overwhelming at first. But there are dozens of begginer guides out there including official videos on the main website.
If you want to see an actual hard game try this. www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Magic is a hardcore game. Don't make it too easy or it will stop being fun.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Many games are fustrating at first until the basics are understood.   As with most hobbies it will take time and your wallet will reflect your learning curve.  Good luck with that.
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
honestly im a bit frustrated yes... but im trying to get better

i lost more than 10 games yesterdays, all the ones i made. i choose proper games because i thought it was going to be easier since i wouldnt deal with champion of the parish and strong cards like those... i was wrong...

i made decks in all different colors and was smashed in all

then again i try to make standard decks and play and lose again... because there i get to play against that strong card and 2 more white that put soldiers and flying creatures in the battlefield with no end,

im noob and i exchange my 2 tix and my booster cards for several cards, but i dont know if i was cheated, the trader seems honest but arent they all? i got a lot of cards mostly uncommun, and i get a wolfir i think thats its name that it seems to be a strong card, but i only have one of those so its almost impossible to use it in games...

maybe i should trade that card? im a fan of champion of the parish, may i get 4 of that for the wolfir?

also is there a place in forum where we can make trades? its a bit hard to make it online...

many thx in advance
honestly im a bit frustrated yes... but im trying to get better

i lost more than 10 games yesterdays, all the ones i made. i choose proper games because i thought it was going to be easier since i wouldnt deal with champion of the parish and strong cards like those... i was wrong...

i made decks in all different colors and was smashed in all

then again i try to make standard decks and play and lose again... because there i get to play against that strong card and 2 more white that put soldiers and flying creatures in the battlefield with no end,

im noob and i exchange my 2 tix and my booster cards for several cards, but i dont know if i was cheated, the trader seems honest but arent they all? i got a lot of cards mostly uncommun, and i get a wolfir i think thats its name that it seems to be a strong card, but i only have one of those so its almost impossible to use it in games...

maybe i should trade that card? im a fan of champion of the parish, may i get 4 of that for the wolfir?

also is there a place in forum where we can make trades? its a bit hard to make it online...

many thx in advance

It can be rough to start with. If you really are having trouble then I recommend some of the alt formats like Pauper or Silverblack. One of the main problems with the client re trading is the conflict between the policies of no trade chat (at all) in official areas and no real place for players to trade and the bot economy which generally has narrowed margins to the point that players can't compete. Occasionally a human trader will give a better deal but it isn't often.

Also if you are having troubles with the game strategies themselves and need coaching there are two formats designed to help with that: Planeswalker format and the more aptly named Mentor Format. The trouble then is setting up a time and person to teach you and that is a matter of talking to people in chat.

Winter.Wolf

thx for the help,

pauper im using already and success... 0

silverblack i dont know what is is but i will check,

those policies apply both to game and to this forum?
thx for the help,

pauper im using already and success... 0

silverblack i dont know what is is but i will check,

those policies apply both to game and to this forum?

Silverblack: only cards with black or silver expansion symbols, aka "commons and uncommons".
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
It sounds like your problem isn't only with the Magic Online program.  I get the notion that you are no pro at paper magic, based on the fact that you don't know the name of Lingering Souls.  Well, here's some advice...

-Because of how cheap it is to participate, the pauper format is still your best option as far as competitive formats.  It only costs a few dozen tickets for a good pauper deck, but it's still a very competitive format.  You can't win very often by playing a very sub-par deck.
-When it comes to playing for stakes, constructed Daily Events are your best value, as compared to the 2-man and 8-man queues.  But you should hold off on that until you're performing well in the tournament practice rooms.
-You need to spend some money to win on MODO, unfortunately.  With the cards currently in your account, you're probably at a big disadvantage against everything except bad players playing bad decks.
-You need to get better at comparison shopping in the classifieds.  If you open up trade with a bot and take a card, it'll tell you how much it charges for that card, then you can exit the trade without buying it, open trade with a different bot, find out its price, etc. and just buy cards from whoever has the best prices.  Also, certain cards worth less than 1 ticket have different values.  For instance, if I'm buying a deck and it has 8 cards that are worth .25 each and 24 cards that are worth 3 cents, I'm not going to buy them all from a 4-for-1 bot at .25 cents a piece for a total of 8 tickets.  I'm going to buy the 8 25-cent cards from a 4-for-1 bot for a total of 2 tickets and the 24 other cards from a 32-for-1 bot and either use the leftover credit later or just pick 8 other good cards that I want.  With cards valuable enough that people will specifically post their prices in the classifieds, use the search function and try to determine the highest buy price and lowest sell price to deduce the card's true value.  Either buy from whoever's offering the best sell price, or post your own bulletin buying that card at a reasonable price (perhaps between the buy and sell prices).
-You need to learn to use the decks of the week section.  You go to magicthegathering.com, go to the daily mtg section, go to the daily activity, open-up the activity archive, and locate the most recent decks of the week article.  Then you'll have more information at your disposal than you can handle.
-You need to practice more in general.  Practice will help you get more accustomed to the Magic Online interface, and it might make you a slightly better player, although skill improvements in magic come extremely slowly.

The alternative is... play with substandard decks in the casual room, lose more often than you win, and try to have fun anyway.  If your main goal isn't winning, then you could probably find a way to have fun even in losing.
hi,

i read it all and you are 100% right, but u can also understand that for a new player this a complete new world... i open starter pack and get like 950 cards and wowwwwww

can i get the name of some good cards so i can study the game and see which type is my fave one e.g.

today i knew card entreat the angels and i was like... this is not possible
hi,

i read it all and you are 100% right, but u can also understand that for a new player this a complete new world... i open starter pack and get like 950 cards and wowwwwww

can i get the name of some good cards so i can study the game and see which type is my fave one e.g.

today i knew card entreat the angels and i was like... this is not possible

To win more than very occasionally in Constructed tournaments, you are going to have to get at least a few expensive cards.  Probably more than a few if you want to win with regularity.  Mono-red is probably the best option for building on the cheap.  Pick a theme and stick with it for a while, just getting those cards that you think will really enhance your deck.  Booster draft and sealed events are good if you have a limited collection (Duels of the Planeswalkers cards really don't count) since everyone is on a level playing field as far as the available cards and you get to build your collection.  Unfortunately, the only way to get tournament practice is to play tournaments.  The tournament practice room is really not the same.  It is full of people, like me, trying out their homebrews of which many won't ever see a tournament.  Then there are a lot of people who don't take it seriously.  They'll quit as soon as things don't go their way, or they'll quit after they win the first game, not giving you a chance to sideboard against them.  Generally, people are only going to play their best decks in a tournament, and they aren't going to be giving up.
I sent you a message to your inbox.  We aren't allowed to type client names in the forums there is a pricechecking bot as well as some useful wotc links on hotkeys & chat commands, and some cardsearching tips in it. ;)
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!

How have things been going warlordf? Hopefully you've had more time to look through your starting cards and become familiar with a few of them.

There have been some great responses. I agree with cod3r that the color and card type filters in the Deck Editor are your best friend. Your collection probably won't be getting any smaller as you continue to play, and filtering will help you become more and more familiar with the cards you own.

It sounds like you're already playing a lot of matches, and that's honestly the best way to get better. There's a Wizards article here that might have a few tips you haven't heard yet. I also suggest watching games in progress to see what other people are playing. Sometimes I prefer watching Two-Headed Giant games for this reason because more cards will be in play to examine.

Finally MTGO Academy has a bunch of beginner tutorials you should check out if you haven't already.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

hi,

thx for all the help

now i started to do this: when i play against somebody and i read a card that looks ok i type her name down and then i check the prices. i got a few cards good already and i win some games

i tried to understand what its tornaments but its also too confuse (i keep saying this is a very confuse game for starters), i will try to understand the game... since i guess that in tournaments its the only place where we can win anything

(btw im using only white cards and i know that when i play against guys that abuse instants and stuffs like that i have no chance but at least now i can win some games every now and then)