Trigger stacking with "may"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a Murder of Crows out and 4 creatures die at once, and its triggered ability goes on the stack 4 times, I decide whether each trigger "may" resolve one at at time, yes? So I could have #1 resolve -> draw card & discard, #2 resolve -> draw card & discard, then decide not to have the other two resolve when it's their turn to on the stack. I was debating with a guy who said whether to decide to draw a card and discard 4 times or not at all... but that doesn't make any sense to me.

If I had two Crows out, then when 4 (other) creature die at once it would put the triggered ability on the stack 8 times, yes? That's wild. Also, if a Crow dies at the the same time as another creatures dies, that ability still triggers, right?
For your first example, if 4 creatures die, its ability will trigger 4 times.  Each one is separate. 

If it said "when a crearure dies, you get a dollar bill," then 4 creatures dying you give you four $1 bills.  Not a $4 bill.  Everything triggers separately in Magic, you can't combine things the way your opponent wanted to.

So yes, you can choose whether or not to draw a card with each trigger.

Yes to both of the other questions.
I think he was confused with the wording. In his head he thought it meant "When another creauture dies, you may put this trigger on the stack. Once there of course, it must resolve." It was a BS game anyway so it didn't matter too much.

Thx mate
Putting the triggered ability on the stack is mandatory.  Allowing it to resolve is also mandatory (you'd need something like Stifle to stop that).  The "you may" just means that, when it does resolve, you get choose if you want to draw or not (and if you do choose to draw, you'll then also need to discard).
Oh right. They're going to go on the stack regardless. And they're going to resolve regardless (unless Stifle-ish scenarios).
Oh right. They're going to go on the stack regardless. And they're going to resolve regardless (unless Stifle-ish scenarios).

And if the trigger has targets, you must chose them when it goes on the stack. If it's a may, you may have it no effect but it'll have been targetted, could have importance for "sacrifice this when targetted".

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

If I have a Murder of Crows out and 4 creatures die at once, and its triggered ability goes on the stack 4 times, I decide whether each trigger "may" resolve one at at time, yes?

Yes
 So I could have #1 resolve -> draw card & discard, #2 resolve -> draw card & discard, then decide not to have the other two resolve when it's their turn to on the stack.

They'll resolve, but you may choose to have them do nothing when they resolve.
 I was debating with a guy who said whether to decide to draw a card and discard 4 times or not at all... but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Nah, that's wrong. You could even play instants and activate abilities in between draws! (at 4,6,8 below)

1. Place the ability on the stack four times.

2. Everyone passes priority.

3. The fourth one placed on the stack resolves.

• You may draw a card. [This is where you decide whether you do or not.] If you do, discard a card

• Everyone passes priority.

• The third one placed on the stack resolves.

• You may draw a card. [This is where you decide whether you do or not.] If you do, discard a card

• The second one placed on the stack resolves.

• The first one placed on the stack resolves.

If I had two Crows out, then when 4 (other) creature die at once it would put the triggered ability on the stack 8 times, yes?

Yes.
          That's wild. Also, if a Crow dies at the the same time as another creatures dies, that ability still triggers, right?

Yes. And if you had two crows, they would each trigger once.
          Sign In to post comments