06/28/2012 FtL: "One Fine Twine"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I can't wait to Spelltwine two Spelltwines.

Milltwine looks like terrible fun. 
You can't spelltwine a spelltwine because spelltwine exiles itself.  I know, I wish that combo existed, but it doesn't.
You can't spelltwine a spelltwine because spelltwine exiles itself.  I know, I wish that combo existed, but it doesn't.

You can if one is in your graveyard from discard or milling.
I can't wait to spelltwine into a random damage spell from a opponent and worldfire.
Eh, Its not all that great I can see uses, the cost is easy splashable but I feel its still a weak card.
I miss the old days.
Rather interesting card, particularly if you are dealing with big effect instants and sorceries.  The only real issue is if your opponent isn't playing with particularly strong instants and sorceries.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I kind of wish it was more like Spellweaver Helix.  Right now, it's a cute trick, but I don't see the card having the potential to be much more than that.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
interesting to build around, but more likely a cool sideboard card for match-ups where it's favorable. Control vs. spells?
It's a neat idea, but tough to put to good use.  Oh well, my momma always told me not to cry over spellt wine. 
Noel, I am glad they are not doing anything to your column (save changing it's date).

I swear if they canned you or touched your column I would have no reason to come to this site. Bad enough they are canning BoaB because they won't address larger issues with it's problems (no consistent definition of what budget is, trying to appease competitive and casual player's simultaneously, ignoring the fact that magic has a much larger problem in that it's nearly impossible to make good decks under $100, etc....).
If this column left, I'd never bother to check this site every week.

Keep up the good work Noel, you're awesome!
Welcome to wotc if we dont like it we kill it forever!

So long combo and control!

I miss the old days.
Noel, I am glad they are not doing anything to your column (save changing it's date).

I swear if they canned you or touched your column I would have no reason to come to this site. Bad enough they are canning BoaB because they won't address larger issues with it's problems (no consistent definition of what budget is, trying to appease competitive and casual player's simultaneously, ignoring the fact that magic has a much larger problem in that it's nearly impossible to make good decks under $100, etc....).

I totally agree.
Love your collumn Noel! 

I can only speak for myself: JVL's strength was not BDM's, such that building a fun, budget deck with an upfront constraint (tix or dollars in cost, etc.) was the qualifying factor. JVGL's strength lay elsewhere, in downtuning or tweaking decks, and it makes sense that his new column will better play to this. The constraint of building to an arbitrary budget only hampered JVL's vision for what the column he wanted to write was, and he's now getting that column. It is sad to see Budget go without the masters of old to retake the reins, much as we will no longer have the funness of Alongi for multiplyer-fun.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments