neato
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Not that great passable in limited.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This with the new knight may make it standard playable. Bit of a stretch though.
Interesting design. Mentor of the Meek likes this.

It's also a 1cmc creature that trades with Delver.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
yay more birds
I am not that impressed. Many of the previews for M13 have been underwhelming to me and this is just another underwhelming card that I probably will not play. Krenko and Liliana 3.0 remain the only two non-Reprints to excite me and to find room in one of my decks.

This may be playable in Limited or maybe Standard under the right circumstances but as a Casual Player this card and the five other spoiled creatures for today just do not hit the spot. At least yesterday they previewed a new card with awesome flavor.

That said I still cannot wait for M13 to be released.   

Left to itself, nature overflows any container, overthrows any restriction, and overreaches any boundary. I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
My Aven bird deck will like this: they're birds AND soldiers!

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

If a soldier or knight deck happens, this will see Standard play as a Delver answer in the sideboard, most likely.  I doubt it'll leave Limited otherwise.
I like how this burd, along with Attended Knight, ties together two white tribes that seem like they should have been working together all this time.

here are the cards it's competing against:

order of the stars
perimeter captain
pride guardian
wall of hope

quite possibly the best 1 cmc white wall in the history of magic, particularly with that blue bitch in play and you guys are complaining, heroic effort you guys

Not that good.
It kills Delvers for , but only if they don't Snag it. At least it's cheap to replay, but I can't help but feel Righteous Blow is a better answer if all you want to do is kill a 2-toughness attacker. Nice in a WW aggro deck, of course, since most of those guys are gonna be Soldiers anyway.
Rules Nut Advisor
Looking at the soldiers that are legal in standard at the moment as well as what we get from M13, at least the ones worth playing, and are 3cmc or lower (so this thing isn't sitting around waiting to attack all day).

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Loyal Cathar, Mentor of the Meek, Champion of the Parish, Doomed Traveler, Elite Inquisitor, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aven Squire, and Etched Champion (although he probably is irrelevant).

And knights

Silverblade Paladin, Mirran Crusader, Puresteel Paladin, Attended Knight, Knight of Infany, Knight of Glory, Phyrexian Crusader (although he is probably irrelevant as well).

I left out a bunch of the more expensive stuff, since it isn't as relevant for getting this to attack early, but there are plenty of those as well (Hero of Bladehold, Hero of Oxid Ridge, Riders of Gavony, Odric, Master Tactician, Stonehorn Dignitary, Goldnight Commander, Captain of the Watch, Timely Reinforcements, Elspeth Tirel).

Seems like this could have the support needed to actually work. Not saying it will, but it seems possible.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
This seems like it could be fun to pair with Silverblade Paladin in casual knight decks.
Looking at the soldiers that are legal in standard at the moment as well as what we get from M13, at least the ones worth playing, and are 3cmc or lower (so this thing isn't sitting around waiting to attack all day).

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Loyal Cathar, Mentor of the Meek, Champion of the Parish, Doomed Traveler, Elite Inquisitor, Porcelain Legionnaire, Aven Squire, and Etched Champion (although he probably is irrelevant).

And knights

Silverblade Paladin, Mirran Crusader, Puresteel Paladin, Attended Knight, Knight of Infany, Knight of Glory, Phyrexian Crusader (although he is probably irrelevant as well).

I left out a bunch of the more expensive stuff, since it isn't as relevant for getting this to attack early, but there are plenty of those as well (Hero of Bladehold, Hero of Oxid Ridge, Riders of Gavony, Odric, Master Tactician, Stonehorn Dignitary, Goldnight Commander, Captain of the Watch, Timely Reinforcements, Elspeth Tirel).

Seems like this could have the support needed to actually work. Not saying it will, but it seems possible.

Don't forget any cards that make Soldier tokens.
Rules Nut Advisor
This has the same problem in limited that the Griffin cards had in the last core set.  You need to cross a high threshold of relevant cards to make it reliable enough to be above the curve. 

Also, each copy of this in your deck is one less Soldier or Knight.

Definitely feels more like a constructed card.  Does it have a home?
This will not see play in standard because it doesn't pump champion of the Parish.

wow !

a flying savannah lions ?! awesome !!

in the relevant knight/soldier deck which has lots of 2 drops this will always be able to attack the turn after you play it...

Hey, maybe this is why they printed Warclamp Mastiff instead of Serra Zealot.

With a 1-drop bird and a 1-drop dog...

Ranger of Eos reprint incoming

Yes, and I'm calling it "angry birds". It revolves around these, birds of paradise and increasing savagery.

Is it competitive? Probably not.

Is it awesome? Hell yes!

Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
this is an awesome card.
Cloudreach Cavalry

A soldier and his bird.

A touching story of friendship and courage.

Coming to theaters near you!
Could be good. There are enough soldiers and knights out there. It is kinda ok vs delver though.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
It is kinda ok vs delver though.

[CARD]Gut Shot[/CARD]

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

[CARD]Gut Shot[/CARD]

THis is an asinine argument. Lightning Bolt didn't make Savannah Lions terrible.

[CARD]Gut Shot[/CARD]

THis is an asinine argument. Lightning Bolt didn't make Savannah Lions terrible.

Savannah Lions wasn't a wall when you didn't control a Solder or Griffin.

Oh no it DIES TO REMOVAL

it must be terrible

[CARD]Gut Shot[/CARD]

Savannah Lions wasn't a wall when you didn't control a Solder or Griffin.

Weenie soldiers are so hard to come by when you're playing white. Oh wait...

Cloudreach Cavalry

A soldier and his bird.

A touching story of friendship and courage.

Coming to theaters near you!

I would watch that.
I was going too point out how hard it would be to have and keep a soldier or knight on the field unless you were bending over backwards to fit this, but when I looked at the list of them I saw things like Thalia, Loyal Cathar and Mirran Cursader (all of which are harder to remove than the average creature). My instincts say this is bad, and I still think it isn't that great, but it might be better than it appears on first blush simply because of the environment it lives in.
Could see play as an answer to delver.
Pretty nice considering how easy it is to summon soldiers in White.
First-strike (on attack only, perhaps) would be awesome flavor/effect given this birdy's limitations, but would require bumping it up to uncommon or rare among other things. It would see competitive play if it had something like that, I'd wager. Oh well.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
For anyone saying this wont see play because it requires a soldier or knight to be able to attack, I suggest you look at the list I made earlier in the thread. There are plenty of playable soldiers/knights in the format to make this work (Thalia seems to be one of the best options, but Loyal Cathar seems pretty awesome as well, especially since both sides of it are soldiers).

As for it being playable or not, the only legitimate argument that has been made about why this potentially wont see play is this:

This will not see play in standard because it doesn't pump champion of the Parish.

Since the decks most likely to want this are going to want to be packed to the rafters with humans, which these things aren't, and many of the humans that get played in those lists aren't soldiers (Gather the Townsfolk, Avacyn's Pilgrim, etc.)

Beyond that, there really isn't any reason why this wouldn't be playable. It's a 2 power flier for 1cmc, and there are plenty of playable soldiers/knights to make it work.

The fact this is a bird is pretty much the only reason it may not see play.
It needs an enters the battlefield ability to search your library for three more war falcons to put in your hand.  Smile
This has the same problem in limited that the Griffin cards had in the last core set.  You need to cross a high threshold of relevant cards to make it reliable enough to be above the curve. 

Also, each copy of this in your deck is one less Soldier or Knight.

These seem good:

Accorder Paladin - 2 damage on T2, Battlecry for 6 on T3
Spectral Rider - very swingy monowhite
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - reduce answers while bashing face with bird
Thraben Valiant - swing away unless you need to block

Sadly, no Soulbond options until CMC 3 in white.
:D It's Ranger of Eos' pet bird, freakin sweet.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Ranger Of Eos fits just fine into the name/number crunch at #28...

I would poop rainbows.

I would poop rainbows.

That would be pretty groovy.
I wonder if they would turn Antoine into a girl? :P