Increasing amount of immature players?

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems as though with the influx of new players, I'm finding more players in the 1v1 rooms that are way more unsportsmanlike and immature than I am used to playing in the previous games. Today played this guy who, when he had me almost beaten, started saying ,"RAAAAAGE QUIT! RAAAAGE QUIT!" over and over until I muted him. Then the very next person I played, when I had him almost beaten, paused the game for a while. Then unpaused and paused again for awhile. Then unpaused and paused again for a while. He finally just quit altogether. Then the next player, when he almost won the 2nd game, just stood back and allowed me to build up my board, knowing he could kill me at any time. He finally did when I started becoming a threat. Then the next game we played, when I killed one of his three guys with Nekrataal, and he saw he could not get through with his other two, he disconnected from the match. He was still at 16 life! I'm used to a degree of gloating and immaturity here and there, but if the environment stays like how I've experienced in the first week, I might refrain from multiplayer for a while until alot of these guys move onto other games. Has anyone been experiencing anything similar?
Yes, since the internet was created. 
ignore them and move on, as for games being paused this could be due to lag, had this myself and on my own turn where i could just do nothing and then a second of movement and back to being frozen again
are you playing on xbox?
No, PS3. And it was definitely not lag. There is a distinct sound when someone pauses that tips you off.
Have had some pause whores myself.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Feel free to add me on PSN, my name's the same as here. I can take a loss without complaint in fair circumstances. Hate the pause spammers. If you know you've lost, does cheating to make your opponent quit really make that better?
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
1vs1 theres definately an increase in quitters (xbox) not sure if this is because of the AI thing or what but yeah, people seem to quit well early. Like i was playing yesterday and a guy played a couple of good cards, it was a jace mirror match, then i played a couple of better cards, nothing ground breaking, and the guy quit. Turn 3...whats the point.

Ive seen people mulligan down to 6 and quit straight away. Going down to 4 and quitting maybe i can understand, but bailing because you dont have a God hand? Ive had to put everybody on default mute and ignore (mainly thanks to COD) but i do get hate mail on DOTP. Shame really because i used to really enjoy the GG message you got after every match in dotp 09, win or lose, everybody would send everybody a GG. 
Just dont take it to heart. For one it is just a game so your really should not care to much about things you have little control over. People will be people. Just move on to the next and hope for the better. This is the name of the game and it will happen again. If you start to worry to much about it you will only start to hate playing.

Also the people whom you have played and had fun with you should talk to them and see if you can be friends. Friends are where this game shines best. Find a group of people whom you can enjoy and play some Magic because that is really the heart of Magic The Gathering. 

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

The only two things I encountered is that:

1.) Everbody is leaving when he is losing. No "gg", not anything.

2.) Some people in Planechase are just plain fun to play with. Others are almost hateful ("You mad?, You jew/other racist remarke, you only win/lose because your deck/mother/father/country/genitalsize ...).

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

My personal favourites are the people that top deck to victory and then brag about how bad you are at Magic and how much you suck. Can't remember the last time someone said "bro, you are actually quite good at this and if I hadn't top decked x you would of won for sure." which happens in face to face Magic but I guess admitting reality over the internet is something humans don't like to do and feel necessary to be a jerk.
Had this guy call me a "noob" after I grabbed my victory by repeatedly stalling the game with Primadox and a bouncing Pelakka wurm until I got something to kill him with. He was playing exalted doing 6-7 damage per turn while I was healing 7 per turn.

I've had my share of games with nice players though, repeated games against the same player changing decks. Sometimes even saying they were sorry I got land flooded or no lands. Maybe Steam has a better community, I always heard the horror stories of CoD kids on xbox or PS3.
It was never like this on xbox years ago. Gears 1 was full of friendly guys who were there for the laugh and the challenge, win or lose. It was always nice shot or GG. Even DOTP 09 after playing 4 player FFA, and i always played blue, i still got guys saying GG, win or lose, and i always replied with GG, win or lose. It doesnt bother me that it doesnt happen anymore, its just disappointing to see the community go down the drain because of a few 10 year old headset warriors.

Im still waiting for the day when a randomer abuses me, and hes local. That will be a good day for justice. 
Virtual courage.

I wish all the stupid people that abuse that concept well in their pathetically short and meaningless lives.
If stuff gets mainstream you are bound to atract all sorts of disfunctional, antisocial, obnoxious and childsish types of people. Deal with it, grow a pair and stand above these people.

It's the price of popularity i geuss.

It doesnt ruin my experience, they wont break me.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
At the end there is nothing what we can do about it.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

On steam, had only 1 rager after I bruned away his goblins one by one.

Everyone else was either quiet, friendly in their GG/glhf or chatty during planechase or 2hg.
At the end there is nothing what we can do about it.

Nope, simply block/report, maybe send a "yeah, you're on my ignore list so have fun yelling at the air like a tool. " message, then move on with your life knowing that there is someone out there that is so beneath you that no-one would notice if he got hit by a bus on his way to ... wherever useless people go.
played with some **** in 2HG.
he got lucky card, won and called us "weak" in chat.
kicked the retard from lobby right after, not a big deal tbh. game has enough other players to play with.
some are actually very nice. 
Never understood it myself.  I started with paper magic back in 92 though, so I try to play with the same decorum I did then when it was all face to face.

Play the game out.  Don't ragequit.
Don't go for the overkill/humiliation at the end, or abuse your unbreakable position by extending the game needlessly.
Win or lose with some class.

I really enjoy the players that send me PMs after they win and tell me how bad I was.  One guyin 2012, who beat me after polymorphing an elf into an Eldrazi (2 games in a row), decided that I was terrible, for not being able to handle that on turn 4.  He actually avoided racial or homophobic slurs though, so it was a real bonus.  
The game is still new.....give it some time and most of the losers will have moved onto the next flavor of the month game and we'll be left to enjoy our Magic.
Never understood it myself.  I started with paper magic back in 92 though, so I try to play with the same decorum I did then when it was all face to face. 

Magic: The Gathering (MTG; also known as Magic) is the first collectible card game, created by Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast

Why do people always say they been playing since 92 or alpha? I have been playing since 1995. I still have all my 4th edition and iceage cards i got when I started. At my LGS some random goon always says 93 and has no cards from then. They are also bad players. Do people say this to look cool or experienced? One of my friends started in 2011 and he got top 8 at a PTQ. How long you have been playing has nothing to do with your skill.

As far as the topic goes,Its the internet. Kids will always rage quit or make your experience as bad as they can. 

Magic: The Gathering (MTG; also known as Magic) is the first collectible card game, created by Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast

Why do people always say they been playing since 92 or alpha? I have been playing since 1995. I still have all my 4th edition and iceage cards i got when I started. At my LGS some random goon always says 93 and has no cards from then. They are also bad players. Do people say this to look cool or experienced? One of my friends started in 2011 and he got top 8 at a PTQ. How long you have been playing has nothing to do with your skill.

As far as the topic goes,Its the internet. Kids will always rage quit or make your experience as bad as they can. 

He didn't talk about how skillful he was in his post.  He referenced how long he's been playing.  Does it really matter, in the end, if he's incorrect by a year?  You referenced how long you've been playing but didn't mention skill either. 

Aside from the last sentence, which is relevant to the topic at hand, your entire post is pretty much there to antagonize another person without a legit reason.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I stopped playing in 1997 and sold all of my cards. I make no claims to being any good anymore.  

I actually started during the Dark expansion, so it may even have been 94.  I was in college in the dorms, so it was the 92-94 range.  My apologies for the error in years. 

It was mainly in reference to my experiences 15-20 years ago, playing the paper version.
IMAGE(http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/kgradert/Stuff/n1176572771_30100390_2683.jpg) 

If it helps, there's a picture from back then clearly showing an Ice Age starter, as well as some Revised starters.  Not sure if that's a Fallen Empires case or not.  I believe this was from a tournament we went to in Champaign IL

Oh, and if you like, I can likely link to some archived Usenet posts from the old rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules groups of my posts from when I was still playing.  You know...not that I need to.

Okay, randommagicguy that made an account to nitpick about something not even relevent.

I started playing in Revised. In all the years I'd played I never had some idiot pull the s*** people do with their virtual courage. If they did, there are people I've gamed with who would literally take them outside and beat respect into them. That's the point. People who play duels spout off in messages during/after the game because there's zero consequence. They can be as vile and offensive as their worthless pathetic little minds can conceive because nobody can touch them.

Virtual Courage is an anathema of social interaction. Humans are cowards, plain and simple. Even the big tough guys will slam someone online because there's no chance of them being exited from an establishment or police being called.

Put most of these useless maggots in an actual room, with other people and they would likely be upstanding citizens, probably even fun to game with. Not because they wanted to, but because there would be consequences to their actions.
Its the internet. Kids will always rage quit or make your experience as bad as they can. 

Or be condescending to people about stuff that isnt relevant in the slightest just to look morally superior. Way to prove OP's point.
If they did, there are people I've gamed with who would literally take them outside and beat respect into them. 

Even the big tough guys will slam someone online because there's no chance of them being exited from an establishment or police being called.

Pot? Meet Kettle. Kettle? Meet Pot. I'll be over here if you need anything.

The solution isn't to belittle the immature kids. Remember: Never argue with an imbecile or they'll drag you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Although it can be rather cathartic to crush somebody who starts the match with an endless tirade of insults.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I just played that "RAAAAGE QUIT" **** yesterday!!! I think his name is RRS_Superstar (or Supertard) something like that! guy was a real dink!! I have run into alot of the same crap with the pausing (whining< rage quit crap)!! its just a game people! someone wins, someone loses!! But that Supertard guy was really effin annoying just kept yelling "RAAAAGE QUIT BITCH ... RAAAAGE QUIT!!!" Ok I get it you had me! i dont quit take the win but just shut the hell up ya douche!!
If they did, there are people I've gamed with who would literally take them outside and beat respect into them. 

Even the big tough guys will slam someone online because there's no chance of them being exited from an establishment or police being called.

Pot? Meet Kettle. Kettle? Meet Pot. I'll be over here if you need anything.

The solution isn't to belittle the immature kids. Remember: Never argue with an imbecile or they'll drag you down to their level and beat you at their own game. Although it can be rather cathartic to crush somebody who starts the match with an endless tirade of insults.

Okay, in picking two random lines in my post you seem to have missed the point. Allow me to simplify:

People insult people online because they can.
People do not insult people in real life because they can't.

End of story.
I had the dumbest ragequit happen to me today, from my 2HG partner. He apparently found it extremely awful that even though I had a couple counterspells in hand and 2 untapped islands, I didn't counter the game-changing bomb that is Vedalken Entrancer *gasp*. Apparently that is worth ragequiting and sending offensive PMs over.
I had the dumbest ragequit happen to me today, from my 2HG partner. He apparently found it extremely awful that even though I had a couple counterspells in hand and 2 untapped islands, I didn't counter the game-changing bomb that is Vedalken Entrancer *gasp*. Apparently that is worth ragequiting and sending offensive PMs over.

Haha!

I think we have all had our fair share of inmature players.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!

Hey guys. It’s unfortunate that some of you are running into problems with other players. Here are some resources that can help.

I hope these help and you have nothing but awesome matches with people from now on. Please keep giving us your feedback!

Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
I'm sorry to say Microbless but avoiding a player on Xbox 360 does not actually do anything at all.  I still run into people that I've avoided in the past.  It'd be nice if it did have an impact though.

I did watch Microsoft's video on how they handle Xbox complaints and the video strictly adhered to people who are offensive.  Apparently you can file a complaint with Microsoft for someone cheating but they don't pay any attention to those, at least according to that video, which can be found in the "Why am I suspended/banned" section of their forums.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I'm sorry to say Microbless but avoiding a player on Xbox 360 does not actually do anything at all.  I still run into people that I've avoided in the past.  It'd be nice if it did have an impact though.

I did watch Microsoft's video on how they handle Xbox complaints and the video strictly adhered to people who are offensive.  Apparently you can file a complaint with Microsoft for someone cheating but they don't pay any attention to those, at least according to that video, which can be found in the "Why am I suspended/banned" section of their forums.

It doesn't? I was unaware of that. At least reporting will hopefully help alleviate some of that. 
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
Hi Microbless I know this is off topic from this thread so I apologise in advance but I'm going to ask here anyway since you're on this thread. Are the 5 expansion decks finalised? Are they totally locked in or is there room for amendment? I understand that you're probably restricted in the info you can provide but a small hint would be appreciated
Just wanted to point out a specific immature player I just had the unfortunate experience of playing with.

His name is lTGl Oni Shadow.

Instead of replaying the statement, suffice it to say hes an uneducated racist.
You do run into these immature people every so often and they always use the same language, along the lines of, 'weak, rage quitter and scrub'.  I'd like to visit the facility where these people are created so I just can point and laugh.  For the most part I just ignore them.

The other day I was in a pack instinct mirror match and my opponent played a Primordial Hydra with no counters, which was highly amusing in itself.  After some trades he got a Rampaging Baloth out followed up next turn with Boundless Realms.  I threw in the towel and I got a message saying how weak and lame I was.  In response I expressed that I found his unkicked hydra quite amusing so he responded by saying he did it on purpose to prove that he didn't need that card to win.

This post has two main points.  Firstly it is sad that we have people out there like this but don't let it get to you.  Secondly it shows how this game can reward success for the worst kind of players.
Not sure if it's getting worse, there are sore loosers and immature a-holes in every online game.

I beat some bloke fair and square, just for kicks I checked my rep afterwards, and sure enough it had taken a hit for Unsporting behaviour Laughing I take that as a compliment. Bad rep usually means you played well.

I don't always send a gg message, but if a match was particularly exciting or a close call, I'll always send a gg and a comment about the game, even if I loose. 
I usually give a "lacking skill" review to those who start being immature... I figure it to be better than giving unsporting, like someone has said before me: "Unsporting Conduct is like a medal for trolls".
You do run into these immature people every so often and they always use the same language, along the lines of, 'weak, rage quitter and scrub'.  I'd like to visit the facility where these people are created so I just can --

-- pull the plug.
Honestly, I was quite immature during a 2HG match last night and I'm feeling like a jerk, lol. Usually I'm not a immature and I almost always send a "good game" afterwards but not last night.

Here's the story. My friend and I were playing 2HG and we versed a pair who beat us fair and square and that was ok. Then we played these guys who after a long match got my library down to about four cards and destroyed most of our defense. On their next turn... they did nothing. They let their timer run completely out and did not use their artifact to make me ditch my last few cards. So we played or next turn even though there was no possible way for us to win. It gets to their turn once more and they sit through the whole timer again until the last few seconds and then make me ditch my last few cards so we lose on our next upkeep. It was annoying that they wasted our time like that but we accepted it and went to play another match.

We got into another match and we were getting pretty lucky and having fun using our cards in cool ways. After taking them down to seven life it was clear we were going to win. On our next turn I was attempting to buff my partners unblockable creature (for the win) but I accidentally double tapped the A button and it buffed an opponents creature which cost us the game 2-3 turns later. When it gets to the enemy teams turn they can easily finish us off (deck me... again) so they empty my hand and instead of skipping through or even finishing us off (we were at two life with hardly any blockers) they go on to play at least seven spells between them and then after abilities resolve and what not they attempt to skip through. Not only were they rubbing it in but they were rubbing it in when they only won because I made a mistake. On top of that they wasted quite a bit of our time rubbing it in. So I decided to waste a bit of their time so I paused the timer 3-4 times to give them a taste of their own medicine.

The funny thing is one of them decided to play another spell while the timer was paused and it broke the game. The match ended with all four of us leaving our 360's on until one of them auto shutdown. It was the most immature thing I've done in years but I was having a bad night and other immature players weren't helping my mood.

Whatever The Market Will Bear 2015 brought to you by Wizards of the Coast.

Sign In to post comments