06/27/2012 Uncharted Realms: "Odric, Master Tactician"

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Innistrad have awesome lore and flavor, but i have some questions that are bothering me for quite a while :

1 - Sorin created Avacyn so the humans don't become extinct and for consequence, the vampires die of starvation. So, Avacyn is really just ''protecting'' humans so they serve as food for the vampires and others. Does no human ever discover this ? What would be the reaction if they did ? They would revolt against her probably. 
''Hey guys, Avacyn is only keeping monsters from wiping us out so we serve as food farms for them later!Kill her and then we take our chances against the monster! We live free ou we die free!''

I was disappointed nothing at all in Avacyn Restored pointed at this. And would give an awesome turn of events for a set with horro theme that the very angel they see as a symbol of hope is in fact only hope for the vampires.

Avacyn, Angel of Hope ? More like Avacyn, False God, much more than Karona, since Avacyn only pretends she is protecting them.

2 - It was said somewhere the vampires hate Sorin because he did this. So why don't they tell the humans Sorin created her ? They could get rid of her easily and feast as they please.

3 - The angels. So...where does the angels from Innistrad come from ? By the looks of them, you see they are clearly different from Avacyn. So how does Avacyn gains the reign over them ? Why don't any of them notices she works for Sorin and the real purpose of her ''protection'' ?

4 - Why we never see an encounter between Sorin and Avacyn ? What did he told her when he created her ?

5 - Sorin creates Avacyn to keep balance. Ok. But when she disappears and the monsters were taking over and Innistrad was in desperate times, why he simply didn't create another angel ? Helvault wouldn't be destroyed, demons would stay imprisoned and the world would be in balance again. Well, Avacyn would be forever trapped inside, but it's not like Sorin seemed to care for her anyway. One or two angels, what matters if the balance of the plane.

Would hope this could get answered...feels wrong the humans of Innistrad are simply being tricked of being saved, only to serve as food later.
Innistrad have awesome lore and flavor, but i have some questions that are bothering me for quite a while :

1 - Sorin created Avacyn so the humans don't become extinct and for consequence, the vampires die of starvation. So, Avacyn is really just ''protecting'' humans so they serve as food for the vampires and others. Does no human ever discover this ? What would be the reaction if they did ? They would revolt against her probably. 
''Hey guys, Avacyn is only keeping monsters from wiping us out so we serve as food farms for them later!Kill her and then we take our chances against the monster! We live free ou we die free!''

I was disappointed nothing at all in Avacyn Restored pointed at this. And would give an awesome turn of events for a set with horro theme that the very angel they see as a symbol of hope is in fact only hope for the vampires.

Avacyn, Angel of Hope ? More like Avacyn, False God, much more than Karona, since Avacyn only pretends she is protecting them.

Sorin created her to stop the humans from being wiped out (and thus the vampires from starving), yes. But that's his motivation, not hers. She genuinely cares about the people she protects, and would wipe out all of the evil in the world if she could. Sorin just got tricky and set her up so that her power wanes as the humans begin turning the tides, and thus she can never finish off all the monsters.

Of course, that didn't save the werewolves, so there are some loopholes in the balancing act.

2 - It was said somewhere the vampires hate Sorin because he did this. So why don't they tell the humans Sorin created her ? They could get rid of her easily and feast as they please.

Not all vampires know, mostly just some of the oldest (such as Edgar, Sorin's grandfather). The others more hate him for fighting against his own kind, which is not a secret at all when he goes wading through them with his sword. Plus, the news that Sorin (a vampire) created Avacyn wouldn't change the fact that she is still genuinely their only chance at survival, and that she still genuinely does protect them to the best of her (purposely limited) abilities.

3 - The angels. So...where does the angels from Innistrad come from ? By the looks of them, you see they are clearly different from Avacyn. So how does Avacyn gains the reign over them ? Why don't any of them notices she works for Sorin and the real purpose of her ''protection'' ?

The angels existed before Avacyn. She's just the most powerful of them, so they follow her.

Also, again, her purpose isn't to keep humans as vampire food. She genuinely wants to protect them and would wipe out all vampires if able. Sorin just made sure she would never be able to.

4 - Why we never see an encounter between Sorin and Avacyn ? What did he told her when he created her ?

No clue. I think it's been hinted at that she doesn't even know he created her, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

5 - Sorin creates Avacyn to keep balance. Ok. But when she disappears and the monsters were taking over and Innistrad was in desperate times, why he simply didn't create another angel ? Helvault wouldn't be destroyed, demons would stay imprisoned and the world would be in balance again. Well, Avacyn would be forever trapped inside, but it's not like Sorin seemed to care for her anyway. One or two angels, what matters if the balance of the plane.

Sorin was pre-Mending when he created Avacyn, and even then it cost him some serious mojo to do so. It's not the type of thing you can do whenever you want. And now, post-Mending, he might not even have the power to do so, even if he wanted to. Heck, Avacyn might now be stronger than Sorin is, since he's been seriously weakened.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Sorin created her to stop the humans from being wiped out (and thus the vampires from starving), yes. But that's his motivation, not hers. She genuinely cares about the people she protects, and would wipe out all of the evil in the world if she could. Sorin just got tricky and set her up so that her power wanes as the humans begin turning the tides, and thus she can never finish off all the monsters.

I think that hit the spot. We actually know nothing of Avacyn's thoughts and motivations. 

We only know :

1 - She was created by Sorin to balance the plane.
2 - She was trapped inside the Helvault because of Griselband.
3 - She gets free and starts purging evil.

Considering we have a whole set with her name, and the entire block revolves around her being around to be a savior, and all the hype around her, we expected much more, for her to be a memorable character.

And she is not.

Akroma, Phage, Kamahl, Sorin, and even many other minor characters etc had much more flavor and appeal and they didn't had an entire set named after them.
Even characters from Innistrad itself, like Olivia Voldaren, Mikaeus, Thalia, even those two ghouls who killed Mikaeus, had much more history, motivation, charisma than Avacyn.

And now even a bit about Odric's feelings and thoughts, and he is not even in the block!

Why name a set after a character and then simply don't tell us anything of her ?

And i don't mean : ''She was created by Sorin, got imprisoned, blablabla''. Show us her thoughts! Her motivations and doubts. Does she know she was created by Sorin ? What she thinks of this ? About Innistrad ? The people there ? How the angels of the plane simply accepted an artifical angel that came out of nowhere to speak to them ? Does she know she was created just to avoid human extinction, which in turn prevents vampires from being extinct as well ?

Let the main character speak!

It doesn't make any sense to make a whole set with her name when i think about it. 

So uh... 

Odric bashed the blunt end of his sword against the monster's temple, hearing the crack of skull as it shattered under the weight of his blow. It slumped to the ground. He yanked the net off the monster and grabbed a handful of its long matted hair. He yanked it back to expose the bare throat where lifeblood still pulsed through its unnatural veins.

Odric bashed the blunt end of his sword against the monster's temple, hearing the crack of skull as it shattered under the weight of his blow.

the crack of skull as it shattered

...Obviously he didn't die, but uh... what do you do about a broken skull?