06/27/2012 BoaB: "War Falcon"

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Not that I mean any disrespect for the crew... but a conditional 2/1 Flyer for W just seems... pretty underwhelming, particularly in light of Glint Hawk and Insect Abombination. This just feels like a trap card, and I realize it's not exactly a trap card, but its dependancy on what is on the field is just... bad.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I'm not one to give many feedback but I am eager to express that I have enjoyed reading BoaB very much. I have often been impressed with its writers and Jacob van Lunen especially has been able to attack formats in a very new and yet still powerful ways. That is difficult even without budget restrictions. I most fondly remember the red-black Death's Shadow / Ad Nauseam deck. The best lesson I learned about Magic from this column is the immense power a deck can gain from the seemingly little effects like Preordain, Ponder and Lightning Bolt. Sure, I knew they were powerful but their greatness has been really hammered home by this column. In all, thanks a lot for weekly entertainment, inspiration and teachings.

regards 
This thing is BFF with the Knight of Glory card. That lets it attack for 3 on turn 2. Between other Exhalted knights and Silverblade Paladin the white wheenie thing builds itself.

T1: This
T2: Knight of Glory
T3: Silverblade Paladin
T4: Sublime Archangel Attack with the bird for 16 damage in the air. 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107006864516990804523/about

I dont care for cards like that, yeah its powerful but I dont see it replacing delver anything soon.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
The about-face on the Sorin deck seems like the perfect illustration of why it makes sense for Jacob to stop doing BoaB. I think he got all those requests because people wanted to see the budget deck in action, not a report from a deck worth, at first glance, over $250, so that's a bit disappointing. Ah well. Farewell, BoaB.
All I can say is thank goodness! I'd have more respect for JVL if he bothered to listen to feedback, but we've all been putting up with his frequently over budget decks. Hopefully whoever writes this column next learns from his mistakes and does a better job. Hell, if the new writer just stays in a reasonable budget, he'll already be better.

All I can say is thank goodness! I'd have more respect for JVL if he bothered to listen to feedback, but we've all been putting up with his frequently over budget decks. Hopefully whoever writes this column next learns from his mistakes and does a better job. Hell, if the new writer just stays in a reasonable budget, he'll already be better.

There is no next time, BoaB is kaput.
Not that I mean any disrespect for the crew... but a conditional 2/1 Flyer for W just seems... pretty underwhelming, particularly in light of Glint Hawk and Insect Abombination. This just feels like a trap card, and I realize it's not exactly a trap card, but its dependancy on what is on the field is just... bad.

Glint Hawk and Insect Abomination aren't conditional? 

On another note, unless equipment is involved, the falcon can block and trade with both, giving WW an answer to Delver's speed and flying in the short run while amassing several of the good Knights and Soldiers that are around.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
This thing is BFF with the Knight of Glory card. That lets it attack for 3 on turn 2. Between other Exhalted knights and Silverblade Paladin the white wheenie thing builds itself.

Why stop there?  Say you dropped a Cathedral of War or two during your land drops? :D
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Why stop there?  Say you dropped a Cathedral of War or two during your land drops? :D

Then you'd be a full turn behind. The Cathedral comes in tapped, so good luck hitting a perfect mana curve when you're short a mana one turn.

Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Cloudreach Cavalry's best buddy.
blah blah metal lyrics

Then you'd be a full turn behind. The Cathedral comes in tapped, so good luck hitting a perfect mana curve when you're short a mana one turn.

Ah, crumbcakes.  I guess you'd have to wait until you curved out before dropping the cathedral. You'd still get the Exalted bonus that turn even though it's tapped. Maybe... Turn 5: Cathedral, Hero of Bladehold.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
i dont see why people complain about how budgety JVL has been. last time i checked a 60$ is way cheaper than a 240$ deck. i think we can all say that we will miss him on BoaB . good thing he is starting a new article

edit: i just noticed some thing; the cards conditional only prevents atacking, it can chump block delver all day long
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Decided to read JVL's final BoaB article, after not reading due to the rather blatant god-hand sculpting/fake game reports/decks not really being budget to come back to a deck packing 4 Bonfires, 4 Cavern of Souls, 4 Huntmasters, 4 Restoration Angels.

Sure seems budget to me! Good thing that he built himself a non-budget deck, didn't attempt to offer anything "budget" for the article, didn't even bother trying to build some sort of deck with his preview card, and didn't do a good job hyping it up. He should take some hints from Mike Flores or Evan Erwin.

And yes, I'm hating. But its not like I haven't been dissapointed by the crushing majority of JVL articles I've ever read. He should stick to writing about Splinter Twin/Pyromancer's Ascension decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

Not even going to build a deck. Really? I used to have some respect for Jvl, but now, I have none. Just a total lack of effort. Not even a good send off just "yeah this deck is good bye".
Way to end your BoaB list with a deck that laughes as the word. This deck tops out just shy of $400.

You've had some great articles in the past few years. But, you ended with the main reason your readers want someone new. 

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

First, I wanted to say thanks for some fun and interesting deck ideas over the last year or so (when I started reading).  Some were over my budget, but still got me thinking of new things, which I always appreciated.

That said, showing this deck was a really odd end to the life of this article... 

On another note, unless equipment is involved, the falcon can block and trade with both, giving WW an answer to Delver's speed and flying in the short run while amassing several of the good Knights and Soldiers that are around.

Glint Hawk is dependant on a bounce artifact, which is pretty easy to accomplish, and leaves Glint Hawk powered up if someone Grudges the artifact when you cast it later. Insect Abomination is *barely* conditional, given the odds of flipping.

Both are superior when compared to War Falcon, which is the only one of the three that can be shut off.

And if you are playing WW, the last thing you EVER want to be doing is blocking.

(Yes, we admit that with Exalted in the new set, it probably will never swing for 2. It also may never swing, which is the observation here.)
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

Glint Hawk is dependant on a bounce artifact, which is pretty easy to accomplish, and leaves Glint Hawk powered up if someone Grudges the artifact when you cast it later. Insect Abomination is *barely* conditional, given the odds of flipping.

Both are superior when compared to War Falcon, which is the only one of the three that can be shut off.

And if you are playing WW, the last thing you EVER want to be doing is blocking.

(Yes, we admit that with Exalted in the new set, it probably will never swing for 2. It also may never swing, which is the observation here.)

If you are playing WW, the last thing you will be having an issue with is other attackers/blockers. The sheer potential of having OTHER mobs aside from a War Falcon on the field that are also Soldiers (from the mess of tokens printed) or Knights (a tribe favored by White) is so high as to pretend that the trigger condition is always "on."
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Not really...

Turn 1: War Hawk
Turn 2: 2-drop knight/soldier, attack

That is a reasonable opening, and the opponent doom-blading your knight/soldier before you attack means you lost out on the 2-drop and the hawk got pseudo-pacified.  Expecting it to always be on is highly unreasonable.
Not really...

Turn 1: War Hawk
Turn 2: 2-drop knight/soldier, attack

That is a reasonable opening, and the opponent doom-blading your knight/soldier before you attack means you lost out on the 2-drop and the hawk got pseudo-pacified.  Expecting it to always be on is highly unreasonable.

You faced similar situations with Bant exalted in both standard and block, and that didn't slow it down by much, if at all. The same response can be had of Delver of Secrets; while it's not possible to hit Geist, it is possible to hit it's eponymous creature in exactly this fashion.

The hawk unable to swing on its own is a non-issue: WW runs a great number of creatures in its 60, and being able to drop TWO 1/1s (or double Champions) on turn two, or some token maker or other, when you running a low curve (likely) suggests the Doom Blade would be pointed at the Hawk instead (as an evasive beater). Consistent critter drops suggest this is MORE likely to occur than nuking that one OTHER creature you drop every turn (i.e., bad curves). This is how Mogg Flunkies was useful in RDW and Sligh decks of old.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Nothing but love JVL! I've built so many of your decks over the past 4 years that my MTG collection looks like a monument to your column. From Dating Baiting to Bant Crashers to I Ooze You Lose I've enjoyed your articles so much. All the best man.

Better than Tethered Griffin.  So there's that.

Good luck with the new column, Jacob.  As I've said before, this one must have been a nightmare to write so I hope the new one is easier.  Then again, your main predecessor in the new role was Frank Karsten, so those will be big shoes to fill, too.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

[Mumbles about a preview card before tossing out an unrelated $400 update to last week's deck]

Nice job not posting a BoaB deck on the last week of the column, JvL. Talk about going out with a whimper while trying  to wave around a middle finger to everyone here. I really hope you didn't get paid for this one; you sure didn't earn it.

And here I had hopes of my last BoaB commentary being somewhat positive. Good riddance.
Deck blog: http://alurenrecycle.blogspot.com/ http://gureiseion.tumblr.com/

thanks for the column JVL, I've only started playing this year and your articles at least initially gave me hope that it was possible to compete in standard without a ridiculous investment in money mythics. I've built quite a few of your decks and had fun with them, but ultimately came to the conclusion that it simply wasn't possible to compete in standard without cards like swords, titans, huntmaster, geist, snapcaster or more recently bonfire.

So I think this final column of yours, where you ended up abandoning any pretence of competing with a budget deck when it actually counted, and the fact that the column doesn't seem to be being replaced says it all - you cannot expect to compete effectively in standard without a $250+ deck. Lesson learned, and I'm sticking to pauper...

Boring.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
When does BoaB get its new author?

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

When does BoaB get its new author?

The column is dead. They're not giving it a new author (at least, they currently have no intention to do so), and they're not continuing it.

However, ReConstructed will be stepping up and doing the occasional article on a Budget deck. Check it out in two weeks.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Chronego,  is this your assumption that BOAB is discontinued? Or have they announced this somewhere?
This feature article:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It says:
I want to be quick and direct about this:

I've decided to retire Building on a Budget.

The column struggles to find a footing between the competitive players looking for an easier-to-acquire FNM deck and casual players looking for something new to bring to their casual kitchen table games. This imbalance, regardless of the author, makes it a tenuous column which is likely to always leave readers dissatisfied. I worked with Jake to try new things and find a new balance in the column, but we never reached a point we were satisfied with.

IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Because you can't.

War Falcon costs 1
Knight of Glory costs 2
Silverblade Paladin costs 3
Sublime Archange costs 4

Cathedral comes into play tapped, as such it would just slow the deck down.
This feature article:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It says:
I want to be quick and direct about this:

I've decided to retire Building on a Budget.

The column struggles to find a footing between the competitive players looking for an easier-to-acquire FNM deck and casual players looking for something new to bring to their casual kitchen table games. This imbalance, regardless of the author, makes it a tenuous column which is likely to always leave readers dissatisfied. I worked with Jake to try new things and find a new balance in the column, but we never reached a point we were satisfied with.

Thanks for the quote, chronego.  Jacob's BoaB is currently the only column I have bookmarked.  Now what am I gonna read?  I've played since '94, but simply have other priorities.  Jacob's decks were ALWAYS clever, showed me new tricks and combos almost every week, and if I wanted to put a deck together to try at an occasional casual event or FNM, I had a good chance of picking up most of the deck affordably.  I just always read his column with the caveat, "here's the suboptimal version if you want to try out my new idea, new combo, or new NetDeckTM-hosing strategy."  (For the optimal version, add dual lands, moxes, and Jace).  Since I have no interest in acquiring such cards to use once a month, BoaB always delivered for me, regardless of the cost for the whole deck.

Jacob is one of the most entertaining writers since Jamie Wakefield.    Thanks for all the great IDEAS, COMBOS, and new CARDS to try, Jacob, even if to make them into a tier1 competitive DECK, they had to be paired with some chase rares.  I always learned from your explaining your deckbuilding which kept me coming back after 18years.  

I can't understand how this shows building on a budget.
There's a playset of Restoration Angel, Bonfire of the Damned and Huntmasters...on StarCityGames that adds up to $328...budget beyond belief.

I think you should really look through what he writes. I mean, even the land can be fairly steep. Four Cavern of Souls? All Hell will break loose if you let him anywhere near Legacy.