Baja's warforged fighter: Cuts

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is Cuts. He is a work in progress. I don't level up ahead of time. I just pick things as I go. He is not optimized. 

Cuts was designed to be a killing machine for war. With no great war to fight, no legacy to claim, and no culture, Cuts integrated into society. For a while he was utilized by people who had use of his focus on work. Over the time of peace he has been laying relatively dormant. However, when he met the Goliath named Nithaulk, he began developing selfawareness at an exponential rate. When he developed the ability to discern a desire to want more from life, nobody really could argue with him.

Trying to detain a sentient being like him didn’t really seem like a great idea to his employer. He doesn’t need to sleep. So guarding one’s self from him would be very difficult. Not to mention he is always armed with two longswords and a shield which he often carries on his back.

He joined Nithaulk to continue his personal growth. They soon headed east across the Vast. 

--------------------------------------

When Cuts was made, his current body was fused with the soul of a long past warrior. Cuts has no memory of his past life, or the existence of it. He does have emotions now in his awakened state. This is something that not everyone knows. He doesn’t want to reveal his true self. He hides it behind the steel facade.

The warrior he used to be had a fair living as a knight a millennium before. He had a family, and was a human. His duties for the old kingdom earned him a nice lot of land, and several serfs to work it. His name was Martin Dormeax. His wife was named Anna. His father was a blacksmith, and his mother did not have a job. She did plenty of work to raise six kids, and keep everyone clothed.

At a young age Martin served as a squire, and over the years he grew into a fine soldier. He attained knighthood through his valor. It was easy for someone in his station to find a wife, and socially encouraged. There was a short courtship with a woman from another land. They soon married, and had a few offspring of their own.

Eventually Martin was fatally wounded in battle as often happens in the profession of being a Knight. His soul was fused into a construct to carry on his legacy. Once he became the metal man though, his former self perished.

Cuts was the name given to the metal hulk that utilized Martin’s soul. Whether Cuts was a different person became a subject of debate among philosophers and politicians. Cuts actions didn’t seem to be determined by the upbringing that Martin had. For many years Cuts was a very simple machine. When the production of Warforged was booming Cuts was given a number. It was etched into some of his components. Many people used to refer to him with that number.

A combination of factors reduced the production of Warforged. Over the course a couple hundreds years the Warforged became rare. More people referred to him as Cuts, since the numbers weren’t as simple. The number was lost as parts were swapped out or upgraded on Cuts. The etched components were replaced one by one. A particular upgrade to Cuts came when one of his owners came across a great deal on mithril parts. This owner had collected Cuts as a piece of history. Sometimes the man would have Cuts perform tasks to show off a bit. Cuts stayed in that family’s ownership for a few generations.

The most recent head of that household had decided to utilize Cuts considerably more. In that man’s employ was a giant named Nithaulk who also had an interest in historical artifacts. Over the time that Cuts worked with Nithaulk, he became more self aware due to his new friends inquisitive nature. Cuts acted as if he slowly became conscious from a coma with an irreversible case of amnesia. Now his life essence has been revitalized, but only in the sense he was aware of his own existence.

Martin’s soul accepts his identity as Cuts to be his only identity. Unless some other force interferes he will never know the difference either. It might be tragic for someone who knew the whole story of his soul. For him it is just how his life is. He might reflect on what it would be like to not be a construct. Though he doesn’t think of being one as a disadvantage.

Logs: www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/darkest-...

Mechanically:
Part of my enjoyment of Cuts comes from the mechanics. 

Cuts, level 12
Warforged, Fighter, Kensei
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Longsword
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 22, Dex 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 17, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 27 Fort: 27 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
HP: 103 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Endurance +17, Athletics +14, History +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +6, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, Insight +6, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +6, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 2: Warforged Tactics
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Mark of Warding
Level 10: Skill Training (History)
Level 11: Fighter Weapon Specialization
Level 12: Master at Arms

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Shield Feint
Fighter at-will 1: Weapon Master's Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Shield Riposte
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace
Fighter utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Mighty Sprint
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades
Fighter utility 10: Incredible Stride

ITEMS
Mithral Plating Plate Armor +1, Amulet of Protection +1, Shield of the Guardian Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Magic Longsword +1, Bag of Holding (heroic tier), Breach Bracers (heroic tier), Giant Gloves (paragon tier), Sash of Ensnarement (heroic tier), 3 dozen sunrods, 12 transportation scrolls, 10 materials for casting glyph of warding, 25 materials for casting protection from energy, 9 materials for arcane lock 

Houserule:
There is a rule in 4e that attack powers that do not have the melee keyword are not melee attacks. In the game I play, if you attack in melee then you are using a melee attack. So for Thicket of Blades and Rain of Steel all melee bonuses are added in. Per page 189 in the dmg, house rules  are allowed. 

Tactically:
With the house rules he deals an average of 400 damage in his burst round back before. Usually he has one round per combat where he spikes Come and Get It with Thicket of Blades while Rain of Steel is active. An ally uses Hellsworn Blessing on him all the time. He regularly does between 200 and 800 damage now. 

I also picked up a lot of mobility for him with mighty spring and incredible stride. Usually, our stealthier players move in and he will charge in after. Though I am thinking of picking up headman's chop since another character uses polearm momentum. 

Future Storyline:
I am not sure what I will do as he levels. I laid the groundwork for him to get a nice warforged storyline for the paragon and epic tiers. He is purchasing other warforged. He just got one that was designed sort of like a warforged medic, one that would perform repairs in and out of battle. 

Since the character is a thousand years old, I am going to be putting some feats into history as he is able to review things in his past during the hours when the party sleeps and he watches. 

I have a while before Epic Tier, but I don't know what will work well yet. 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Your story is pretty neat, but I have a question about the 'tactics' section. You say an ally uses Hellsworn Blessing on Cuts 'all the time.' Hellsworn Blessing is a daily power. I'd like to know how you have it always on. Did your ally get it downto an encounter power somehow? Do you only do one encounter per day? Or maybe there's something else I'm not seeing...
That is more of a samantics issue than anything else. It is a daily power. So rather than all the time as a relative phrase without specifics, read daily. There probably are ways to boost the effectiveness of Hellsworn Blessing, but my ally is not implementing any of those things.
Without the house rule it would still be awesome, though broken in rp. With the house rule it makes sense in rp, but it is mechanically broken.

But once the buff is on him, it lasts for the encounter.

Usually we try to just keep to one encounter per 8 hours when possible. Sometimes we can't and I don't get to access that buff nor TOB. It is pretty rare though for us to trod through multiple encounters consecutively. 

There might be a number of reasons for that, but the main one is how slow combat can be. The sessions get balanced about 50/50 rp to combat. Two combats would take more than half the time.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Only one encounter a day... Fair enough. Perhaps a little unusual, but fair enough.
I liked your rust monster so much, I checked out which creature I would get. Got the Behir.