OP'ing A Refluffed Runepriest For Dark Sun

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's my main character I've been working on, with help from some of my weekly D&D crew.

I plan on playing the character as a 'Templar' of sorts, seeing as he as access to some magical abilities. The Templar theme however, didn't fit him well in my opinion, so I'm trying to convince the DM to let me refluff Ironwrought into something more dwarf or 'rune' sounding...suggestions? Also if anyone's got ideas for gear I could look for, please let me know. Thanks!

The dwarves in Dark Sun are nearly all illiterate, seeing as their language, especially in written form has been lost for ages. With my characted however, the ancient runes of the Dwarven language are part of him.

He's built sort of off-tank-y, though still able to dish out some damage when the need arises. Overall, I think he's pretty solid.

level 11
Dwarf, Runepriest, Hammer of Vengeance (PH3)
Build: Wrathful Runepriest
Runic Artistry: Wrathful Hammer
Dwarf Subrace: Standard Dwarf Racial Traits
Background: Bloodstone Runehammer (Dungeoneering class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 20, Dex 11, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 27 Fort: 25 Reflex: 21 Will: 25
HP: 82 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +9, Insight +12, Endurance +14, Athletics +13, Dungeoneering +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +4, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Heal +7, History +4, Intimidate +5, Nature +7, Perception +7, Stealth +1, Streetwise +5, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 2: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 4: Battle Awareness
Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Shield Proficiency: Heavy
Level 11: Encouraging Shield

POWERS
Dark Sun: Mental Tools
Runepriest at-will 1: Word of Diminishment
Runepriest at-will 1: Word of Shielding
Runepriest encounter 1: Anvil of Battle
Runepriest daily 1: Rune of the Undeniable Dawn
Runepriest utility 2: Shield of Sacrifice
Runepriest encounter 3: Symbol of Wrath Reversed
Runepriest daily 5: Rune of the Final Act
Runepriest utility 6: Rune of Meritorious Alacrity
Runepriest encounter 7: Word of Befuddlement
Runepriest daily 9: Rune of Boundless Fury
Runepriest utility 10: Weapon Unity

ITEMS
Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Craghammer
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Looks fine to me.

Though i'd swap out word of shielding for word of exchange (defiant).  -2 and +2 to a d20 roll will do more then a bit more damage/THP.  It also helps trigger your rune of vengence. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

For me, personally, I use Word of Diminishment as my goto At-Will for pretty much every turn. That means the second At-Will can be fairly situational. As such, I went with Word of Binding, as there are times when you really need to lock something down, doubly true for our party which doesn't have a lot of ranged attacks. I don't even get the riders because I have no wisdom modifier, but I still get the lockdown, which is the only thing I want it for. Your mileage may vary, though, depending on your party composition.
For me, personally, I use Word of Diminishment as my goto At-Will for pretty much every turn. That means the second At-Will can be fairly situational. As such, I went with Word of Binding, as there are times when you really need to lock something down, doubly true for our party which doesn't have a lot of ranged attacks. I don't even get the riders because I have no wisdom modifier, but I still get the lockdown, which is the only thing I want it for. Your mileage may vary, though, depending on your party composition.

Diminishment is good, i use it alot.

But since he get's an MBA if an ally hits his target, exchange will do more damage.  (unless there's some crazy multi-damage-instance thing going on).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Diminishment is good, i use it alot.

But since he get's an MBA if an ally hits his target, exchange will do more damage.  (unless there's some crazy multi-damage-instance thing going on).

Good point. I may have to retrain Diminishment for Exchange when I hit paragon.
I looked into Exchange, but the riders threw me off since I didn't get much. Diminishment helps since we've got several Strikers throwing out decent damage, and it'll help keep squishies safe as well.  Do you guys know any specific gear options I should look into? Keep in mind, it's for Dark Sun, so it'd mainly be for the properties rather than magical bonuses.

Also, if you've got any creative ideas for refluffing Ironwrought into something more Dark Sun appropriate, plesse let me know, as I have yet to come up with anything really dwarf or rune related which makes sense. Stonewrought and Earthwrought were my initial ideas, but they're kinda meh.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I looked into Exchange, but the riders threw me off since I didn't get much. Diminishment helps since we've got several Strikers throwing out decent damage, and it'll help keep squishies safe as well.  Do you guys know any specific gear options I should look into? Keep in mind, it's for Dark Sun, so it'd mainly be for the properties rather than magical bonuses.

Also, if you've got any creative ideas for refluffing Ironwrought into something more Dark Sun appropriate, plesse let me know, as I have yet to come up with anything really dwarf or rune related which makes sense. Stonewrought and Earthwrought were my initial ideas, but they're kinda meh.

You don't seem to have quite as many powers that need sustains as I do (Cage of Light and Undeniable Dawn), but I run into a lot of issues with action economy (especially because my DM loves daze/stun effects). As such, Spell Anchors are pretty nice. They only sustain something for a single round, but that's sometimes all you need to keep that zone up and still get to attack or heal. They're certainly not high-op, but they can be useful.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look. As for refluffing the theme, I think I'll run with an idea I had about utilizing his background (Bloodstone Runehammer). Any other gear ideas? Thanks again!

**EDIT** On another note, anyone have suggestions on an ED, assuming we'll make it that far? I'm not certain what'd be my best option there.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
I looked into Exchange, but the riders threw me off since I didn't get much. Diminishment helps since we've got several Strikers throwing out decent damage, and it'll help keep squishies safe as well.

Probably even more reason to go exchange.

+4 damage works best if you have alot of hits at low damage.

i.e.
Diminish: 10 damage+4 vuln * 10 attacks * 50% = +20
Exchange: 10 * 10 * 60% = +10

+2 to hit matters more for bigger attacks

i.e.
Diminish:  50 damage + 4 vuln * 5 attacks * 50% = +10
Exchange: 50 * 5 * 60% =  +25

Generally, unless you have lot's of  ongoing damage down with auto-damage zones, or have a psion spamming forced opportunity, exchange wins.  And that's not even counting the AC buff.  It wins again since you get a MBA on there.

Of course, you can go exchange + diminish.  Since diminish protection does have some nice uses against certain creatures.

As far as ED's.  Reincarnate champion is generically the best.

guides
Power
my builds

What makes Reincarnate Champion the best bet? I can't take it either way, as I'm not using a Primal class, any other suggestions?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
What makes Reincarnate Champion the best bet? I can't take it either way, as I'm not using a Primal class, any other suggestions?

Genericly, Elven reroll and heroic effort, possibly iron mind or wrath of the destroyer.  Or whatever else you need at the moment (crit? Furious Assault adds some nice damage, need to escape? void assumption, bloodied afer a battle? Longtooth Shifting, ect...).

Snagging a race specific feat access is also pretty prime.

That said, there's lots of options.  It really depends on what your going for. 

guides
Power
my builds

I'm not sure exactly, I went sorta off-tanky, but picked up the striker-oriented PP so I'd get a bit more damage output...I might just go the generic Rune Maker route...or is it junk?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Spent some time today tinkering around with ED options, still haven't come up with anything good- any suggestions? Same goes for gear, and anything through Paragon-Epic as far as feats/powers worth looking into.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
I'm not sure exactly, I went sorta off-tanky, but picked up the striker-oriented PP so I'd get a bit more damage output...I might just go the generic Rune Maker route...or is it junk?

Not total junk, but nothing amazing either.

+2 Str is the importaint stat.
Granting a save as a minor is fairly nice.
The lvl 26 is a quality feature.
The capstone is kinda... meh.  You don't often sit around long enough to fail 3 saves.

Hmm... Rod of death... 

guides
Power
my builds

Where's Rod of Death from? It sounds familiar, but I'm half asleep right now, lol!

There's gotta be some ED that I can make work...

I really haven't found much good stuff in the way of gear, let alone progression for feats through paragon-epic...there just isn't much worth taking...thoughts?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Where's Rod of Death from? It sounds familiar, but I'm half asleep right now, lol!

There's gotta be some ED that I can make work...

I really haven't found much good stuff in the way of gear, let alone progression for feats through paragon-epic...there just isn't much worth taking...thoughts?

I started a new thread for the rod of death + rune master combo.  It doesn't really work for you, but it's a nice trick.

Destined Scion is a bit boring but it's a top ED open to everyone without issue.
Dead God Avatar's Sagawehn gives a nice defense debuff to enemies, letting your allies hit more easily, and trigger your own attack.  It has a pretty good death feature as well.  Too bad the stat bumps are in the wrong place.

Items in darksun are supposed to be rare, but beyond your standard Iron Armbands of Power, and Frost Package...
Withering Weapon would help your allies land more attacks, (which let's you swing again, and lower their AC again).

guides
Power
my builds

Unfortunately, the DM nix'd Ironwrought even though I wanted to refluff it into something fitting for Dark Sun and spent about 2 hours justifying the change - oh well!

I chose Primal Guardian, since it was quite literally the only Dark Sun theme that remotely fit the concept I'm going for with the character. As far as the ED, I actually have come to like the Dead God Avatar of Sagawehn, though I'd play mine as a primordial rather than deity. If he won't allow that, I'd probably end up going Destined Scion, even though it's not super flavorful.

I do like Withering Weapon quite a bit, but I can almost sense the hovering presence of the Ban Hammer about to drop if I mention it...we'll see...I can hopefully at least pick up Iron Armbands of Power, but again, we'll see...

I'm looking for any good armor/shield/neck slot item choices, as well as additional gear I can look into that won't conflict with Inherent Bonuses or at least offer something worthwhile as a property.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Purely from an CharOp perspective, I'd probably take Guardian over Primal Guardian. Guardian's Counter is sweet, especially because you hit hard and like to get up close and personal with enemies. Also, since you'll be taking damage from the target, it will trigger your wrathful hammer bonus on the MBA.

I didn't take Guardian as a theme (took Seer instead, which is fun from an RP perspective but which I've never been able to use effectively due to feeling bad about casting fortune on other players and depriving them of rolls), and I've regretted it ever since.
Here's the kicker- I was trying to justify a refluff for like 2 hours, to no avail. During that process I was recommended several themes by the DM, half of which were not Dark Sun themes, but then ultimately told to choose a Dark Sun theme, even though I'm sure the others who are rebuilding their PCs probably will not use a DS theme. Oh well.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Bump.

Still in need of feat suggestions through Paragon & Epic.

I haven't got confirmation on the ED choice yet, but I'm going to see what happens.

Gear, though limited due to being Dark Sun, is still needed, but aside from Withering Weapon, I can't really seem to find anything useful for myself- suggestions?

Thanks!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote: