D&D Next will need a Campaign Sheet/Checklist Badly

If D&D Next is planned to be printed with so many optional rules, modules, and variants; it would be a great help to have a massive checklist for DMs to hand to potential players. This would lower the time of the 10-30 minutes conversation on which of the 100 rules and modules the DM is planning to play in these game.

Other editions had a lot of rules and options that force DM to spend time explaining their game. Few games of the same edition looked the same but the underlying core was larger and more shared. D&D Next plans to exacerbate the issue by having it as a design goal from the start and by having more things piled on the smaller core. Getting DMs and Potential Players to buy into and make the same game will be a thing to be looked at in order to avoid potential group destroying disagreement.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I have been thinking about that as well. 

In particular,  It will be challenging at cons and store games and such.

They should take a page from Living FR and Magic, and use common formats for those events. 
An announcement might sound like this:

5:00 Table 16 "Lair of the Wuzzel" levels 5-7 Basic Core format. (or extended format, or tourney format, or casual format). Modules could be keyworded for being legal in certain formats, similar to the banned and restricted lists for MTG.
1 square =1 yard = 1 meter. "Fits all playstyles" the obvious choice Orzel is the mayor of Ranger-town. Favored enemies for Rangers
58033128 wrote:
Seems like community isn't going to give up calling mapless "Theatre of the Mind".  In the interest of equal pretentiousness, I'd like to start a motion to refer to map combat as "Tableau Vivant".  

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

If done correctly this won't be necessary.
@Daganev
How so? If someone tried to play a dwarf in my game, we must have a 10 minute discussion or a 3 page read on playing a dwarf or the player will be upset why their dwarf is insane, tainted, axeless and wearing armor made of wood and bone. Plus we're using Modules A, B, C, E, F, H, J, K, L, M, P, Q, T, U and V.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I don't see that as a problem.  As a long time DM I like having options and a checklist so the players know what to expect and what they can use isn't new, BRP from Chaosium uses it.
I have been thinking about that as well. 

In particular,  It will be challenging at cons and store games and such.

They should take a page from Living FR and Magic, and use common formats for those events. 
An announcement might sound like this:

5:00 Table 16 "Lair of the Wuzzel" levels 5-7 Basic Core format. (or extended format, or tourney format, or casual format). Modules could be keyworded for being legal in certain formats, similar to the banned and restricted lists for MTG.

Yes, format names and conventions are cool.
I don't see a checklist as a problem.  It would also be useful to include a reduced checklist for advertising for players at FLGSs.

I agree that there should be an organised play 'standard' and variant 'standards' (for different tyles of play) so that a convention GM can just include the style of game in the description.
I don't understand why it takes you ten minutes to tell someone that you are playing darksun with a Lovecraft twist.
I agree it would be time saving also would help mismatched DM/PC's to part before tragedies.
I just hope this doesn't allow the system be dissorganized without having the checklist- thus requiring it to play-  or to have a list of names that aren't clear as to what they mean.

I'd hate to have "Surges" be the name of an option on the checklist, and have to look up what that meant.

My hope is the options are clearly named, and there isn't too many of them.
Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
I really don't see the checklist being any different from the checklist you might find on the OOTS play by post forums.   I also imagine that the designers will do it right, and make it just as easy to discuss modules/options as it is to choose them.
I really don't see the checklist being any different from the checklist you might find on the OOTS play by post forums.   I also imagine that the designers will do it right, and make it just as easy to discuss modules/options as it is to choose them.

Thing is, the recently RoT even mentioned that the modules themselves have stuff you can include or ignore. So using the Tactics module doesnt necessarily means you have say, Facing or Opportunity attacks.

Thing is, the recently RoT even mentioned that the modules themselves have stuff you can include or ignore. So using the Tactics module doesnt necessarily means you have say, Facing or Opportunity attacks.

I'm aware of that.  Doesn't change my understanding of human nature, or the ability for intelegent people to do what they are paid to do.
@Daganev

The sheer amount of official modules with all those optional rules would suggest some sort of organizational system.

My old 3.5 game had so many UA variant races and classes that explaining who and what you'd expect to see took a while between the Jungle Dwarves, Desert Halflings, Fey blooded Fire Elves, Giant warforged, and everything else crazy in that game.

But the way Next is planned you'll have a 4 common class and themes only, all races, tactical module opportunity attack and flanking no facing, encounter powers, henchmen and followers blaine blah blah here at one DM with a whole different set of 30 rules with another DM. Then the last thing you want to do is run into your DEALBREAKER rule halfway in the game because the DM is height followers instead of magic items or something.

@Daganev

The sheer amount of official modules with all those optional rules would suggest some sort of organizational system.

My old 3.5 game had so many UA variant races and classes that explaining who and what you'd expect to see took a while between the Jungle Dwarves, Desert Halflings, Fey blooded Fire Elves, Giant warforged, and everything else crazy in that game.

But the way Next is planned you'll have a 4 common class and themes only, all races, tactical module opportunity attack and flanking no facing, encounter powers, henchmen and followers blaine blah blah here at one DM with a whole different set of 30 rules with another DM. Then the last thing you want to do is run into your DEALBREAKER rule halfway in the game because the DM is height followers instead of magic items or something.

I'm really not sure where you are getting your ideas from, but it has been stated repeatedly that Themes are optional, and that the game will start with all the classes from the first player's handbook of each edition.  So you will have much more than 4 classes, and not themes

I don't think any checklist will ever save you time from expaining your homebrew races and mechanics.  As for UA races and the such, just look at the OOTS forums, and you will see how those things are generally handled.
I believe there will be broad styles defined so that DMs can say - I play gritty tactical low magic or I play heroic narrative mythic or whatever.   That will tell you a lot.  

Then you just list a few of the oddball changes that this particular campaign has decided that goes against those archtypes.

So a person could say...
1.  This campaign will be gritty tactical low magic.
2.  We though will not use facing.
3.  We will be using Bob's idea for level drain.  (1000xp per level of the monster).

You'll pick a style and then list the exceptions.  Thats my guess.

Probably 50% of the people though will include everything.  Thats human nature too.  (Not my nature but it is for many).

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

The OotS 16 Questions would be mandatory to run a new Next game. And even then a few of the questions would require several subquestions just to handle an iteration/edition designed to have so many potential optional rules with such a light core.

I think that Orzel is exactly right. The indications we have so far is that this system will be so modular that a lot of pre-campaign bookkeeping will be needed to get the players and DM all onto the same page. I have a hard time imagining how this level of modularity can be achieved in a straight-forward manner, but perhaps it is possible.

One thing that is lost in taking this approach is that in many ways we're no longer all playing the same game. With previous iterations of D&D you could show up with a character at your FLGS and jump into a pickup game without too much trouble. With 4th edition this was especially easy because all WotC material was considered core. All you needed to know was the level of play and you were ready. Of course many individual DMs banned certain materials from their games, but there was a generalized standard set of rules that 4e players were familiar with.   

DDN is abandoning this approach in favor of modularity and hopefully inclusivity of different playstyles. Given how fractured the player base is, I can see why the designers want to go this route. I just think that it is going to be very difficult to realize this goal. 
Can anyone point out what modules/rules options are planned?

I've only heard of "tactical" and "gritty" with maybe 5 options within each.  Have we heard of more?

I think beyond saying which of 10 options you're using and what classes you won't allow should suffice, but maybe there are a lot more options than I'm aware? 

Is this the 16 questions you guys keep talking about? 
Originally Posted by TheVorpalTribble

• 1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

• 2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

• 3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

• 4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

• 5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

• 6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

• 7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

• 8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

• 9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

• 10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

• 11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

• 12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

• 13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

• 14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

• 15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

• 16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
Can anyone point out what modules/rules options are planned?

I've only heard of "tactical" and "gritty" with maybe 5 options within each.  Have we heard of more?

I think beyond saying which of 10 options you're using and what classes you won't allow should suffice, but maybe there are a lot more options than I'm aware? 

Is this the 16 questions you guys keep talking about? 
Originally Posted by TheVorpalTribble

• 1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

• 2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

• 3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

• 4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

• 5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

• 6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

• 7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

• 8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

• 9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

• 10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

• 11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

• 12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

• 13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

• 14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

• 15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

• 16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Yep, covers just about any RPG game ever made.  And most of the time, I don't even see all 16 questions covered, just 3 or 4 of them.  The rest sort of answer themselves depending on how you answer the others.
Sign In to post comments