Serra Ascendant in 2HG is it a design flaw ?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
So Fellow DotP tell me your thoughts is Serra Ascendant in 2HG - 1 mana cast for a 6/6 flyer with lifelink..... ummmmm design flaw or legitimate ???

I can see how it works in single player no problem, but to me it seems to be overpowered for 2HG

and what are some best ways to combat this card.... its driving me nuts............

Pretty huge design flaw, the designers should have seen and changed that card for 2HG. Starting life +10 might have been a solution.

But since we have to live with it: You have to burn/detroy it with a Sorcery/Instant as fast as possible... if possible. There are also some other cards which can destroy it like the deathtouch reach archers from Ancient Wilds.

Wizard at least deems it completely legitimate, and in regular (as in non-DOTP) decks/teams you can have 4. 

In a Two-Headed Giant game, anything that cares about your life total checks your team's life total. (This is a change from previous rules.) Serra Ascendant gets +5/+5 and has flying as long as your team has 30 or more life.

Considering the Paper players have been having this discussion since 2010: 
gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Discussi...
Wizard knew about this (dont kid yourself, stainless don't construct these decks for the game), wanted this in for the casual players to drop a bomb, and wants you to deal with it. Bounce it, pacify it, destroy it, (or chumpblock it till you can), or send a ping or burn to the face to bring them below 30 (even if temporarily) to bide time.
Then they should let The Power 9 cards be included in the format if anything is fair game, it also gives new players a chance to be educated about MTG's history
I thought this was going to be a big problem, but in 2 games of 2HG last my team mate pulled out a serra ascendant. Next turn a guy cast innocent blood, good bye. Then the next game a chandra player smashed us to the face for damage. Its not that bad TBH.
Then they should let The Power 9 cards be included in the format if anything is fair game, it also gives new players a chance to be educated about MTG's history

You mean like the 12 Moxes that Nicol Bolas is running in his Revenge deck?
Duels does exactly that: It let's new players see awesomely powerful cards in action that they will never have ever.

You mean like the 12 Moxes that Nicol Bolas is running in his Revenge deck?
Duels does exactly that: It let's new players see awesomely powerful cards in action that they will never have ever.

Speaking of which, I hope to one day see a Duels boss that uses Channel Fireball for the 1st turn win.  Yeah, it'll be cheap, but that's the whole point of the bosses

Might as well throw in the Goblin Charbelcher combo too.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sneak Attack into Serras Avatar or an Eldrazi? Laughing

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

If you go first, a turn 2 Searing Blaze will make short work of it.

I think you are misreading that card.
If my opponent drops a 1st turn Serra Ascendant and neither me or my partner have a way to get rid of it in the next couple of turns I just quit and don't feel bad for doing so. No point in sitting there watching the Ascendant tear you to shreds and get the inevitable loss when I can just join a new game that will actually be fun.

I assume he means when you're on the play as Born to Flame in 2HG, you can landfall Searing Blaze on the 6/6 Serra Ascendant which is hitting the opponent for 3 in the process. Assuming they did nothing else on turn 1, they'll take 3 and drop below 30 causing the Ascendant to go back to a 1/1 and it'll die because of the marked 3 damage from Searing Blaze.

I assume he means when you're on the play as Born to Flame in 2HG, you can landfall Searing Blaze on the 6/6 Serra Ascendant which is hitting the opponent for 3 in the process. Assuming they did nothing else on turn 1, they'll take 3 and drop below 30 causing the Ascendant to go back to a 1/1 and it'll die because of the marked 3 damage from Searing Blaze.

Oh yes you are entirely correct, I stand corrected. I never realised that was possible thanks for pointing that out!

That's correct, thanks Brodo. Yea i've caused quite a few Ajani sad faces with that card. Laughing
Even without the landfall ability of Searing Blaze being activated, it still should work?  They're at 30 life with a 6/6 flyer.  They take 1 point of damage and so does the Serra Ascendant which is now a 1/1 flyer.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Even without the landfall ability of Searing Blaze being activated, it still should work?  They're at 30 life with a 6/6 flyer.  They take 1 point of damage and so does the Serra Ascendant which is now a 1/1 flyer.

Yes.  assuming they are only at 30 life

If you played first and its turn 2 they'd have to be at 30 life.

But then you'd also have to have the landfall ability Wink

But then you'd also have to have the landfall ability 

Yes, so what is your point?  Both are implied with playing this card on turn 2.
I didn't have a point.  I thought we were just pointing out redundancies.  Anyway, the more general point is non-landfall searing blaze on 30 life Ajani = dead Serra Ascendant, landfall searing blaze on 32 life ajani also = dead Serra Ascendant
If my opponent drops a 1st turn Serra Ascendant and neither me or my partner have a way to get rid of it in the next couple of turns I just quit and don't feel bad for doing so. No point in sitting there watching the Ascendant tear you to shreds and get the inevitable loss when I can just join a new game that will actually be fun.

same. i just quit and dont give a damn

If you went first, drop a land.  Then they go, play a Plains and then a Serra Ascendant, end their first turn.  Then your 2nd turn comes around, then they're still at 30 life with a 6/6 lifelink, flyer.  Cast Searing Blaze after playing a land and the creature should die so wouldn't they have to be at 30 life then?  In this scenario, there is no "assuming they are only at 30 life"....
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sorry if I wasn't clear in the intention of my post.  I am well aware that a turn 1 Serra Ascendant play on the draw would result in Ajani at only 30 life on turn 2.

I didn't mean "assuming they are only at 30 life" to mean "Oh no! Turn 1 serra ascendant is only answerable with searing blaze on turn 2 if they are at 30 life"... what I mean is "Assuming Ajani is at 30 life, a searing blaze, landfall or no landfall, will kill Serra Ascendant, doesn't matter what turn"

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the intention of my post.  I am well aware that a turn 1 Serra Ascendant play on the draw would result in Ajani at only 30 life on turn 2.

I didn't mean "assuming they are only at 30 life" to mean "Oh no! Turn 1 serra ascendant is only answerable with searing blaze on turn 2 if they are at 30 life"... what I mean is "Assuming Ajani is at 30 life, a searing blaze, landfall or no landfall, will kill Serra Ascendant, doesn't matter what turn"

Of course, that aside,  you can't cast Searing Blaze on turn two without landfall. :P
Of course, that aside,  you can't cast Searing Blaze on turn two without landfall. :P

Turn 2 without landfall is only 1 land in play.

Turn 2 without landfall is only 1 land in play.

Precisely. Searing Blaze costs so it can't be cast on turn 2 without landfall. You literally have to play a land to cast it.

THIS.  This is why people are trying to push luck and force hands down to 3 or 4 cards because everyone that plays this is looking for that quick and easy win... happening a LOT.  I wish stainless would do something about this....

THIS.  This is why people are trying to push luck and force hands down to 3 or 4 cards because everyone that plays this is looking for that quick and easy win... happening a LOT.  I wish stainless would do something about this....

In 2HG it is almost guaranteed to see the randoms running Celestial Light.  To be fair, it is the n00b deck of the game since you literally just have to play creatures and survive from the life gain.  While I do appreciate some of the combos of the deck, the Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign are just broken in 2HG.  Worse yet, you know the rest of the scrubs will flock to this deck once Serra Avatar gets added and then to top things off it gets a 4th! Serra Ascendant (and a Soul Warden) too.  It is absolutely scrub-tastic.  Sad when a single card/deck has ruined an entire game type.
Together with some other players I've been organizing a few DotP tournaments(since the 2012 release) and we're used to putting together a banlist for cards we would like to see removed for the tourneys we put together in order to keep the competition more even. It will be interesting to see which cards will have the biggest impact in our new tourneys for DotP 2013.

We're holding a Planechase tournament a week from now, but ofcourse the Serra Ascendant will not be as big an issue here. Cool

The first competitions we are having in the 3 formats we will most likely give the players the oppurtunity to play all cards in whatever deck they have chosen and add to a banlist later on. Wink
Sign In to post comments