What would be good creatures to add to this?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi found this deck online and it seemed pretty decent and wasn't to expensive, but the only problem is that I am not drawing enough creatures if any at all. What would be good creatures to add to this deck?

4 Thought Scour
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Runechanter's Pike
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Mutagenic Growth
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Gut Shot
4 Ponder
16 Island
4 Mana Leak

-Thanks
'Enough creatures' for a delver deck is pretty much '1'. Drop down a turn 1 delver and counter/bounce everything till they are dead. You dont want to expend your mana on creatures, you want to save it for your opponents turn.
But since you asked and are running 4x inkmoths:
Contagion Clasp x 1 in the deck allows you to get rid of those pesky 1 mana drops that arent worth bouncing, and provides an outlet for your mana if your opponent doesnt cast anything. Also allows for wins vs creature/combat lockdown(provided you get that first point of poison through), not that those decks will pose much of a problem for your counterspells.
Blighted Agent isnt terrible with pikes.
Corrupted Conscious can act as both removal, and a creature. It is pretty impractical in a deck with only 20 land. But might still be useful to side in against decks that drop down titans.

Some other things you may want to consider:
Phantasmal Images do well against those nasty legendary hex proofs.
Psychic Barrier is awesome against creature based decks.
Negate is awesome against non creature based decks. I would mainboard a couple of these just to protect your assets from removal.

And as for your land:
Hinterland Harbor and Sulfur Falls -couple of each of the duals aint gonna hurt, and might save ya some pain from phyrexian mana. Also allows for a couple of special lands, which i wouldnt recomend unless you add some land.
Desolate Lighthouse might offer some card advantage late game, discarding useless land.
Alchemist's Refuge instant speed is the vital underpinning of good counterspell decks.

Lastly, i've become a huge fan of Temporal Mastery. There really is no reason any deck with blue mana shouldnt be using this.
'Enough creatures' for a delver deck is pretty much '1'. Drop down a turn 1 delver and counter/bounce everything till they are dead. You dont want to expend your mana on creatures, you want to save it for your opponents turn.

Not true, that's not how Delver works at all.

But since you asked and are running 4x inkmoths:
Contagion Clasp x 1 in the deck allows you to get rid of those pesky 1 mana drops that arent worth bouncing, and provides an outlet for your mana if your opponent doesnt cast anything. Also allows for wins vs creature/combat lockdown(provided you get that first point of poison through), not that those decks will pose much of a problem for your counterspells.
Blighted Agent isnt terrible with pikes.
Corrupted Conscious can act as both removal, and a creature. It is pretty impractical in a deck with only 20 land. But might still be useful to side in against decks that drop down titans.

Some other things you may want to consider:
Phantasmal Images do well against those nasty legendary hex proofs.
Psychic Barrier is awesome against creature based decks.
Negate is awesome against non creature based decks. I would mainboard a couple of these just to protect your assets from removal.

And as for your land:
Hinterland Harbor and Sulfur Falls -couple of each of the duals aint gonna hurt, and might save ya some pain from phyrexian mana. Also allows for a couple of special lands, which i wouldnt recomend unless you add some land.
Desolate Lighthouse might offer some card advantage late game, discarding useless land.
Alchemist's Refuge instant speed is the vital underpinning of good counterspell decks.

Lastly, i've become a huge fan of Temporal Mastery. There really is no reason any deck with blue mana shouldnt be using this.

Delver is not a counterspell deck.

Temporal Mastery is virtually unplayable, and you don't know anything if you think an AGGRO deck can afford to wait for their 7th land around Turn 14.

Psychic Barrier is unplayable.

Corrupted Conscience is also not playable. It is too expensive for this deck, and it is worse than Mind Control because you are attacking their life total with everything other than Inkmoths (which are a backup plan anyway, and will normally kill in one-hit with a Pike). You don't want Blighted Agent for the same reason - mixing Infect and normal damage weakens your game plan because you now attack two life totals. Huge opportunity cost (whereas Inkmoth doesn't remove other threats from your deck, it removes otherwise-meaningless lands).

Ideally it is how you WANT it to work.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Delver is not a counterspell deck.

Tell that to all the people who have had their first 4 spells countered by this deck.

Temporal Mastery is virtually unplayable, and you don't know anything if you think an AGGRO deck can afford to wait for their 7th land around Turn 14.

Wow. Have you even read the card? You do realize it's miracle costs 1u, right? An extra attack phase, double mana, and an extra card for 2cc is 'virtually unplayable'.... That statement borders on idiotic. Well ill concede the fact if you get unlucky it can waste a card in your initial hand. But regardless of your deck, you can get unlucky and draw no/all land as well. Perhaps ALL decks are 'virtually unplayable'.

ROFL. Please just try and justify your statement here..

Corrupted Conscience is also not playable. It is too expensive for this deck, and it is worse than Mind Control because you are attacking their life total with everything other than Inkmoths (which are a backup plan anyway, and will normally kill in one-hit with a Pike). You don't want Blighted Agent for the same reason - mixing Infect and normal damage weakens your game plan because you now attack two life totals. Huge opportunity cost (whereas Inkmoth doesn't remove other threats from your deck, it removes otherwise-meaningless lands).

While i agree mostly with what you said in this paragraph. I think you fail to realize that ANY infect creature with evasion is a one hitter when piked. Not just the inkmoth. As for the 'opportunity cost' 2 mana and a card for something that they will throw all their removal at is worth it imo.  Poison doesnt go away, but it is a gamble to run two different damage types. But as i said before( with a pike) the creature doesnt matter a whole lot, its just a set of hands to wield the pike. Might as well be cheap with an unblockable swing.

If you add Blighted Agents to the deck, then you're not playing Delver.. you're playing Infect. The two strategies are comparable, but have two significantly different goals. If you include both, then either your Delver is going to be pointless because you're focusing on poison counters.. or your poison is pointless because you are focusing on life damage. It's not a "gamble". You're simply making your deck lose focus.

Delvers run with Inkmoth, like MrIndigo said, as a backup plan. If the Delver plan falls through, you can simply hook an Inkmoth up with a Pike and swing for lethal as soon as you have an opening.

Ideally it is how you WANT it to work.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Delver is not a counterspell deck.

Tell that to all the people who have had their first 4 spells countered by this deck.

Wow. Have you even read the card? You do realize it's miracle costs 1u, right? An extra attack phase, double mana, and an extra card for 2cc is 'virtually unplayable'.... That statement borders on idiotic. Well ill concede the fact if you get unlucky it can waste a card in your initial hand. But regardless of your deck, you can get unlucky and draw no/all land as well. Perhaps ALL decks are 'virtually unplayable'.

ROFL. Please just try and justify your statement here..

While i agree mostly with what you said in this paragraph. I think you fail to realize that ANY infect creature with evasion is a one hitter when piked. Not just the inkmoth. As for the 'opportunity cost' 2 mana and a card for something that they will throw all their removal at is worth it imo.  Poison doesnt go away, but it is a gamble to run two different damage types. But as i said before( with a pike) the creature doesnt matter a whole lot, its just a set of hands to wield the pike. Might as well be cheap with an unblockable swing.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Temporal Mastery does not belong in a Delver deck at all. Well yeah its blue and has a good Miracle cost that still does not give it a slot. Even if you miracle it you dont get full benefit from it. You just get an extra card and delver has plenty of ways to get extra cards that cost less than Temporal Mastery's miracle cost. Temporal is better in UW or UR Miracle decks because they get full benefit from it as it gives them an extra chance to get a miracle. These decks actually have a mana base that makes it easier to hard cast it for 7.

Mana Leak > Psychic Barrier

Being able to only counter creature spells is not that good at all right now because of Cavern of Souls. Mana leak at least lets you counter other things if their creatures become uncounterable. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
You just get an extra card

So full untap, and an extra swing is nothing?
Just try playing them in a deck, im sure you will change your mind when you drop your opponent from full to dead after back to back temporals. Even if you use it on the third turn with no creatures out, You are still no worse off than if you didnt.

plenty of ways to get extra cards that cost less than Temporal Mastery's miracle cost

FULL UNTAP, it costs 0!!! And if you have more than 2 mana available, it costs NEGATIVE mana!!!!!!!!!!

Mana Leak > Psychic Barrier
Being able to only counter creature spells is not that good at all right now because of Cavern of Souls. Mana leak at least lets you counter other things if their creatures become uncounterable. 

I agree 100%. But unfortunetly the rules dont allow more than 4 copies of mana leak. As for cavern of souls, they arent guarenteed to draw it, and they arent guarenteed to have every single creature in their deck being the same type. It does considerably weaken its reliability though.

I think what I needed was [C]Negate[/C] . When I was playing against my friend's U/B Zombie deck he would keep using [C]Doom Blade[/C] on my creatures before I could even attack.
Yes Negate can be very usefull sometimes.

Im not denying that Temporal Mastery is a good card. However, i feel that it belongs in a deck that gets maximum benefit from it. You get all the things you mentioned and and extra turn to miracle a card and do stuff with your Planeswalkers and if there are angels out, then you can beat in for a lot.

Although good, i just dont like it in Delver. 

One thing that does poke me about it in Delver though is that it gives you another chance on your Delver trigger(s) if you missed them. However, this is highly situational. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Miracles are only playable when you can cast both sides - full cost and Miracle cost. Relying solely on Miracle costs is not reliable because you can't guarantee that it will be useful or castable at the time you draw it. 

Temporal Mastery isn't a free attack, and card for 2 mana. It's occasionally an extra attack and cantrip. It's also just as often an Explore. And even more often than that, it's a forced mulligan, or a discard (if you draw it off a shuffled Ponder, Gitaxian Probe or Thought Scour). It's not a Time Walk, and even in the format where they can put un-Miracled copies back on top of their library to Time Walk at any time using Brainstorm... it's still not playable!

The only Standard-playable Miracles, in fact, are Bonfire of the Damned, Terminus, and Entreat the Angels. The latter two are only playable in Control, because other decks can't afford the non-Miracle cost but they can.

Psychic Membrane has never been playable because it's basically a removal spell that you only have one opportunity to cast, and half the time you can't even use it on the card that counts because they have Cavern of Souls.

Opportunity cost of Infect is the fact that you ran the Infect creature in the first place; when you're mixed, you end up attacking with your Delver and getting them to 10, then draw your Infect creature meaning all the work you did in the early game.
If Temporal Mastery is as good as being claimed in this thread, the top Delver decks would have included it. However, all I've seen is Delver dropping to 19 lands.
If Temporal Mastery is as good as being claimed in this thread, the top Delver decks would have included it. However, all I've seen is Delver dropping to 19 lands.

So by that logic; since the majority of people dont have PHDs, doctors must not be as usefull or intelligent as some claim.
Popularity doesnt always denote optimality or superiority. You are in error in thinking so.

So by that logic; since the majority of people dont have PHDs, doctors must not be as usefull or intelligent as some claim.
Popularity doesnt always denote optimality or superiority. You are in error in thinking so.

You can't compare academic degrees with competitive Magic.

Popularity of cards in Magic depend on the synergy of said card in a certain deck. Deckbuilders ask themselves, "Is this card optimal in the deck I'm building?". If a card has great synergy with a strong archetype, it will see play in the highest levels of competition. I'm not saying that Temporal Mastery is a bad card, but it only works well in a Miracles deck so far - not Delver. I'm sure some people out there are trying to break the card into other decks, but they haven't succeeded yet.

You're correct that popularity doesn't mean correctness, but your analogy doesn't apply.

My argument wasn't against it because it's unpopular anyway. It's bad in theory because the cases where it's good occur much less frequently than the cases where it's bad or mediocre.

Furthermore, the fact that it doesn't appear in Top 8 lists implies that it's not powerful - Top 8 lists are empirical evidence of what performs well in tournaments, and Temporal Mastery has been shown not to perform well in tournaments. Bad in theory, bad in practice.

You're correct that popularity doesn't mean correctness, but your analogy doesn't apply.

My argument wasn't against it because it's unpopular anyway. It's bad in theory because the cases where it's good occur much less frequently than the cases where it's bad or mediocre.

Furthermore, the fact that it doesn't appear in Top 8 lists implies that it's not powerful - Top 8 lists are empirical evidence of what performs well in tournaments, and Temporal Mastery has been shown not to perform well in tournaments. Bad in theory, bad in practice.

' fact that it doesn't appear in Top 8 lists implies that it's not powerful'
So the fact that nuclear warheads havent been used by any of the conquering armies in the last 50 years implies that nukes arent all that powerful. According to your logic.(insert any ultra high tech weapon system with much greater firepower than traditional weaponry)

'empirical evidence', i dont think you truely understand the fundementals of logic or reason.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This post is full of replys of people who use non sequitors (false logic) to attempt to invalidate the power of temporal mastery. Its a shame just how many people dont truly understand logic. To be so unable to destinguish real evidence from hype or hate is just monumentally pathetic, bordering on subhuman.

' It's bad in theory because the cases where it's good occur much less frequently than the cases where it's bad or mediocre.'

Its bad only if you draw it within the first 2 turns. Its mediocre pretty much never(when you have no creatures or spells to play). Its flipping awesome whenever you have a creature that can swing unblocked, or when you can play another card in the same turn.  You should give some percentages to define your 'much less frequently' cause by my math its something like 89% of the time its awesome, 10% its bad, 1% its mediocre. Depending of course on the average length of your matches.

' fact that it doesn't appear in Top 8 lists implies that it's not powerful'
So the fact that nuclear warheads havent been used by any of the conquering armies in the last 50 years implies that nukes arent all that powerful. According to your logic.(insert any ultra high tech weapon system with much greater firepower than traditional weaponry)

False analogy/straw man.

'empirical evidence', i dont think you truely understand the fundementals of logic or reason.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />This post is full of replys of people who use non sequitors (false logic) to attempt to invalidate the power of temporal mastery. Its a shame just how many people dont truly understand logic. To be so unable to destinguish real evidence from hype or hate is just monumentally pathetic, bordering on subhuman.

Ad hominem.

' It's bad in theory because the cases where it's good occur much less frequently than the cases where it's bad or mediocre.'

Its bad only if you draw it within the first 2 turns. Its mediocre pretty much never(when you have no creatures or spells to play). Its flipping awesome whenever you have a creature that can swing unblocked, or when you can play another card in the same turn.  You should give some percentages to define your 'much less frequently' cause by my math its something like 89% of the time its awesome, 10% its bad, 1% its mediocre. Depending of course on the average length of your matches.

It's not awesome when you get an Explore. If you draw it off any of your cantrips. When you're forced to mulligan because you get one in your opening hand.

You're ignoring lots of cases to get 89% awesome.
Lots of terrible analogy going on in here.

Temporal Mastery is such a trap. Its more trap then a Thai Ladyboy.

Also, to the OP, most of what JudgeOmega suggested I wouldn't advise. I'd possibly tinker with Blighted Agent but still, it deviates from the main plan, which is a bit of a scary thing.

Negate looks like what you were looking for.
Photobucket

I completely agree. 90% of the time, trends mean that something is true. You had claimed that people are "hating" on the card, but that is because it has obviously proved to be lackluster in it's use. Idk all the facts as you guys are throwing out there, but after reading all the stuff, I'd say that the decks that finish the best consistantly in tournaments usually know what is going on. I mean it isn't like the card has just come out two days ago and people haven't had the opportunity to try it out in all different scenerios. And seeing as the top decks don't include Temporal Mastery im inclined to think that it hasn't found a home in a deck right now besides a control miracle build. Basically, unless you are going to the miracle-control route, I don't see why you would run it based on the facts listed by others. I personally like the cards, but I also usually never run a deck thats going to finish top 8 in a major tournament, just sayin...
Judge_Omega: Point blank, adding 4 copies of Temporal Mastery to any given deck that has blue in it isn't going to substantially improve the deck. It simply isn't a game changing spell that will completely blow your opponent out of the water every time you cast it.

That's the point everyone is trying to make. More often than not, your extra turn isn't going to give you any form of significant advantage unless your deck has already set something up, like an army of flying angel tokens. It could (and most likely will) just end up with you drawing an extra card and playing an extra land, which isn't overly significant.. especially if you had to hard cast it instead of being able to use it's miracle cost.
Judge_Omega: Point blank, adding 4 copies of Temporal Mastery to any given deck that has blue in it isn't going to substantially improve the deck. It simply isn't a game changing spell that will completely blow your opponent out of the water every time you cast it.

That's the point everyone is trying to make. More often than not, your extra turn isn't going to give you any form of significant advantage unless your deck has already set something up, like an army of flying angel tokens. It could (and most likely will) just end up with you drawing an extra card and playing an extra land, which isn't overly significant.. especially if you had to hard cast it instead of being able to use it's miracle cost.

You seem to imply every card worthy of being in a deck can 'completely blow your opponent out of the water'.
Every card can be useless. This one much less so than others. Ill wager youve never seen this card in action. It CAN completely blow your opponent out of the water.

Am i saying that his card is the very best most broken card in standard? No, that is reserved for geist. But it amplifies all the powerhouses you should already have in your deck. And ill stand by it. You are free to disagree, just as i am free to speak the truth.

You seem to imply every card worthy of being in a deck can 'completely blow your opponent out of the water'.
Every card can be useless. This one much less so than others. Ill wager youve never seen this card in action. It CAN completely blow your opponent out of the water.

Am i saying that his card is the very best most broken card in standard? No, that is reserved for geist. But it amplifies all the powerhouses you should already have in your deck. And ill stand by it. You are free to disagree, just as i am free to speak the truth.

Blue doesn't have many "powerhouses" as you claim. It is a good card in the right kind of deck, and is situational when it is best used. They had an interview with some pro-players after Avacyn got released and some people talked about how it is a good card, but there are times when it isnt beneficial to miracle it, when you would rather see another card. Sure you get an extra turn, but unless you are going to swing for lethal in the 2 combined turns it is highly situational to be as effective as you are claiming. I will say that Ponder drastically helps with the effectiveness of it, which i've seen in action and was impressed with. 

Wow, I didn't realize how arrogant you actually were until this post. First you imply that I have never had Temporal Mastery played against me, and then you proclaim from your pedestal how what you say is the absolute truth no matter how much everyone else in this thread disagrees with you. How much did you wager, exactly, that I have "never" seen this card in action? Because you lost that wager, and I'd like my payment.

Against my Boros Humans, most decks that have even had a chance to cast Temporal Mastery at all have done so in the last hope to find something, anything (usually begging for a Terminus), to stave off my lethal attack. Most of those failed to do so and succeeded only in postponing their loss. The only, and I do mean only, games wherein Temporal Mastery led to my loss were games in which the opponent drew a card on my turn, cast it for it's miracle cost on my end step, attacked on their turn, then used Temporal Mastery to get another swing.

I've had games where my opponent cast Temporal Mastery two or three times and still lost.

Simply put, my deck frequently kills people before they'll even have a chance to get the mana to hard cast Temporal Mastery. They almost always have to Miracle it, which means they have to draw it at a specific time. I've had a lot of opponents with decks specifically designed to abuse Miracles tell me how they cast Ponder, found absolutely nothing worthwhile, elected to reshuffle.. and then drew a Temporal Mastery (and then they died a little inside).

Temporal Mastery isn't always going to show itself when it is most advantageous for you. It can very well show up when there is literally almost nothing you can do with it.

In practice, the only thing Temporal Mastery guarantees upon its successful resolution is an extra card draw. The extra untap is pointless if you don't have anything to do with the extra mana, the extra combat step is pointless if you have no creatures, and you're not necessarily going to have a land in your hand to play to go on up on those either. With multiple copies of Temporal Mastery in your deck you run the risk of having to mulligan an otherwise good hand because two of them are staring you in the face and will sit there doing nothing until you can accumulate the mana to hard cast them if you keep that hand.

What do you do if you draw a Temporal Mastery on turn 3 and your hand is full of things you can't cast? Yep. Your Temporal Mastery just became a Think Twice that you can't flashback.

Just because you want to browbeat how completely wonderful Temporal Mastery is in any given deck doesn't make your statement true. It is a good card, but even in decks designed to abuse Miracles.. even in formats where you can literally stack the deck in your favor with it.. it's not "amazing" in and of itself. The other elements of the deck in which it resides make the effect more powerful, and even then you have to have it at the right place and at the right time for it to work well. And in that last statement is the reason why Temporal Mastery simply isn't designed to be slotted into any deck just because it is using blue.

TL;DR... Temporal Mastery does not equal Time Walk.
Hi found this deck online and it seemed pretty decent and wasn't to expensive, but the only problem is that I am not drawing enough creatures if any at all. What would be good creatures to add to this deck?

4 Thought Scour
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Runechanter's Pike
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Mutagenic Growth
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Gut Shot
4 Ponder
16 Island
4 Mana Leak

-Thanks

too many pikes, go down to 3. add in a few each of phantasmal image and phantasmal bear
You are free to disagree, just as i am free to speak the truth.

Truth is, not a single Delver deck that has made top 8 has used Temporal Mastery, even in their sideboard.

But feel free to live in denial in Temporal Mastery happy land.
You are free to disagree, just as i am free to speak the truth.

Truth is, not a single Delver deck that has made top 8 has used Temporal Mastery, even in their sideboard.

But feel free to live in denial in Temporal Mastery happy land.

You are about to enter the courtroom of Judge_Omega.
The decks are real.
The cards are terrible.
The rulings are horrendous.
This is Judge_Omega.
Photobucket

4 Thought Scour
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Runechanter's Pike
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Mutagenic Growth
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vapor Snag
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Gut Shot
4 Ponder
16 Island
4 Mana Leak

-Thanks

too many pikes, go down to 3. add in a few each of phantasmal image and phantasmal bear

don't add phantamal bear

but image is fine 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Ignoring what is going on below for a moment, you seem to have run into an old Pre-AVR Delver Pike variant.  This Variant was in a couple of top Daily Events quite a while back. Let me see...

Here we go. 3-1 or better results from January 24th. If you just search for Pike using your browser, you should see the competitive lists as they were listed. Most ran more land than you, and were the typical WU brew.

I think you can figure out where you need to change up your deck when looking at these lists. I would consider Fettergiest and Aether Adept if you want to stay pure blue and just add some creatures. However, I would seriously consider looking at the version of delver presented in that time line, and look at the modern build, and try to understand why the changes to it happened.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)