Reprinting the D&D Rules Cyclopedia?

139 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there any plans to reprint the D&D Rule Cyclopedia?  It still is unrivaled in the RPG world when it comes to a complete one book game.  It bucked the trend of printing bigger and bigger books that contained less and less actual game.  Not a great book if you want to sell heaps of splat books, but a classic product that deserves another outing.

Many of the things players find new and novel were in some form already in this awesom tome.  Fighter / Wizard power balance was (in my opinion) far better than later attempts.

So any chance?

Cheers,
  S.
Seriously. Do this!
Even if it's just a paperback, perfect bound kind of thing, I'd be interested. Sure, I'd prefer a fancy cover and new art and bells and whistles or somewhere in between. What I really want is a new copy to use so my old one can take a much needed retirement. However that happens will thrill me.

While you're at it, reprint the B X CM and M modules while you're at it. I'll buy them all...even the crappy ones, and the ones I already own.
Or just make digital copies available and let me print them myself.
I have stated before on these forums that the Rule Cyclopedia for D&D is the best rulebook ever for D&D of any version.  It is complete and comprehensive.  If any D&D book deserves a update and reprint it is this one.

Relax and enjoy the experience.

Got to echo the sentiments of my fellow gamers above.  The Rules Cyclopedia was absolutely my favorite RPG book ever printed.

What I liked a lot was that it got into some things that aren't even usually discussed much - like mass combats (meaning like how to handle armies at war).

I'd trade it all for a little more! Grognard? Is that French for awesome?

I agree. Even though I typically play a different edition of the rules ('74 OD&D) I've often said that the Rules Cyclopedia is the single most valuable book in my collection. I'm looking at quantity of stuff and how small the total pagecount. Spells, monsters, magical items, it's all in there.

I have it with me when I DM D&D, not matter which edition, because it has so much cool stuff in it. 

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I concur. I just went back into storage to grab some gaming stuff and it wasn't the AD&D stuff that grabbed my attention but all the early 90s D&D stuff. I really need to track down the Gazzateer line, those things were amazing. (Digital downloads maybe WoTC?) Anyway, the Rules Cyclopedia was an excellent intro into the genre and it was downhill from there, I believe I started w/ the best edition so far in respect to rules layout and supplement distribution.
I agree 100%. I still own one but I would still buy another copy.
I also would buy this!  Early 90s "New Easy to Master" D&D is the only version of the game I have ever played and DM'd.  Rules Cyclopedia was incredible (though it had poor binding).  So reprinting it with better hardcover binding would be awesome!!!

YES!! YES!! YES!!!

The D&D Rules Cyclopedia remains at the top of my list as one of my favorite D&D products of all time!  It is currently pretty rare and going for insane prices.  I would buy it instantly (as I did with 1st ed. reprints).

Instead of doing a reprint I wonder if WotC has thought about making portions of their back catalog available as print-on-demand products?
Do this please. I will buy it. In fact rerelease the entire D&D Classic line please!
Do this please. I will buy it. In fact rerelease the entire D&D Classic line please!

I have been thinking about this for awhile.  It seems there was quite a backlash concerning 4th Edition D&D and a great many fans disliked it (I am one of them) and left WotC and D&D for Pathfinder or other games.  It appears D&D Next is retro in flavor but they are playing with fire.  In trying to bring back the customers they lost with 4th Edition (and it appears to be a large number) may cause 4th Edition fans to get angry and leave.

Why not go back to the days when they had two product lines, continue the evolution of 4th Edition while releasing a more retro line called "Classic" that catered to more retro gamers and fans of 3.5 or below.  Keep everyone happy!
I myself repurchased the 1e. books on amazon and rebuilt an entire collection of 2nd ed. as well (actually i have multiple collections). My group doesn't play any non TSR version of the game. Check out the sales for D&D books on Amazon and you will find that the number one selling book is the AD&D 2nd ed. players handbook. I don't want a "type"  of game that resembles AD&D or the Classic game I want to have the originals! No immitators please. Just rereleases.
 The 4e. fans can still exsist and play their version too. And WOTC reaps the finacial windfall of regaining the entire D&D fanbase. They own the entire line anyway why not support it. Then there's no edition warring and it is truly "to each his own!" I'm ready to open my wallet!
Another option might be selling digital copies.  WOTC sold copies in pdf format a decade ago, but the scans were poor.  Newer, high-resolution, perfect scans of the entire back catalog would be desirable, and worth a premium price.  Though there might be rights issues?

I used to have nearly all of the old books from the 80's but lost them in a move in the early 90's.  The prices OOP copies fetch are exhorbitant.
The PDF's you are speaking -writing of are available in all past editions of the game right now and free to download on a bunch of shared sites. They are of good quality in general and are an exact replica of the books from cover to cover. A great tool to be sure but it doesn't replace my desire for a paper book to hold in my hands and have on my shelf for years to come. I also prefer not to have laptops or P.C.'s running in my games. People have short attention spans in this modern age. I like immersive roleplaying that lasts about 5-6 hours per session. I will buy these books whether WOTC reprints them or not because I don't need their permission. Amazon has most everything you could ever want. The question still remains why wouldn't they want my and your money?
 Besides, Do you see an eye patch? That's cuz I'm no pirate.. Arr. Just let me pay you for the real deal. 
I whole heartedly agree please for the love of all that is D&D reprint the D&D rules Cyclopedia! Talk about modularity, you couldn't find a more classic example of D&D modularity IMHO! Just plz reprint it with the art from BECMI. To me that art, Elmore and Easley, had a much more Classic feel. Dykstra's art, while good, makes me reminisce more about the 2e Complete Psionics Handbook.

I too made photocopies but due to theft and moving loss, would much rather have the physical copies in my hands. ;)
I also agree that this book needs to be reprinted, infact reprint all editions and books and make it easier for people like myself rebuild thier collections like 1E and 2E
I'd like to add my name to the list of people who would buy this as either a hardcover or digital download.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

yes please as hardbook book
then

wait till d&D next is out and then update the classic B,X etc as pdf wth the new ruleset
The PDF's you are speaking -writing of are available in all past editions of the game right now and free to download on a bunch of shared sites. They are of good quality in general and are an exact replica of the books from cover to cover. A great tool to be sure but it doesn't replace my desire for a paper book to hold in my hands and have on my shelf for years to come. I also prefer not to have laptops or P.C.'s running in my games. People have short attention spans in this modern age. I like immersive roleplaying that lasts about 5-6 hours per session. I will buy these books whether WOTC reprints them or not because I don't need their permission. Amazon has most everything you could ever want. The question still remains why wouldn't they want my and your money?
 Besides, Do you see an eye patch? That's cuz I'm no pirate.. Arr. Just let me pay you for the real deal. 

I suggested it as an option.  No where was I suggesting they never reprint stuff.  Myself, I'm probably way older than you, and happen to still have copies of much of TSR's books from the 70's and 80's, yet I still wouldn't mind quality copies for posterity's sake (and for the time when e-ink books are perfected).  Amazon has most everything you could ever want if you have no qualm paying highway robbery prices, but YMMV.  

Also, those pdfs really are horrible scans.  Purchased some years ago to replace some FR sourcebooks that were worn out, you know, the ones with the faux beige/aged paper?  Cheap scanners weren't up to the task in the late 90's.
Notsure why a lot love this book. I personally hate it. When I play basic or classic D&D I either use B/X or BE and maybe C from BECMI. Even mentzer himself has said he's not fond of the book that took his edition and mashed it into one, making you use all the rules. I enjoy the freedom of deciding as a DM what to roll for what happens. I don't need a book telling me, that I need a skill have to roll to see if a start a fire! 
I miss some of the things that the Rules Cyclopedia omits as a D&D (minus the 'A') product, but this book is one of the most nicely indexed, organized, easiest to read rules products (IMO) ever to be produced by TSR. Possibly because it is the distilled result of so many box set incarnations. 

I have OSRIC, Labrynth Lord, White Box Swords & Wizardry, 1st edition, and 2nd edition AD&D references on my shelf, but I turn to the Rules Cyclopedia, again and again as a quick, ready reference for old school gaming. It is just so nicely layed out. Virtually everything you need for a fantasy RPG minus the stuff that just boggs things down.

Err, ah, I still need to buy a back-up, and a couple copies for my 'old-codger' friends, so let me retract all of my statements here.

Misserable book. Just misserable. Don't look for it on Ebay or Amazon. It isn't worth your time (and I don't want to pay more than $150 for it).
Please, please, please - reprint this one.  The 1e reprints were very well done, but alas, an edition I don't play, so I can't justify spending $90 to show WotC I want them to support older editions.

I have an RC (you can find them if you're patient - mine was $35 on Amazon) but would gladly buy a reprint.  Updating the errata and changing out at least some of the art would be awesome, but like the 1e books, a straight reprint would be more than fine.

As for the RC being a madsh-up of BECMI - well, that was the point.  A single volume hardcover reference book.  The optional systems - skills, weapon mastery, etc. are still just optional, so you can use as much or little as you want in your game.

Hwy, while you're at it, reprints of the Gazeteers and B1-9: In Search of Adventure would let me round out my collection.  Now THOSE are ridiculous expensive on ebay/Amazon... 
I would love to see the Rules Compendium reprinted in similar fashion to the AD&D reprints.

There really isn't much else to say about it. If you print it, they will buy... Sealed 
A premium RC reissue, complete with fixes to resolve the (slight) differences between it and BECM?

I'd be on that in a heartbeat. Add in the Immortals Set, but not Wrath of the Immortals, and I'd be a very happy bunny.
Here's another potential buyer demanding a Rules Compendium reprint. The AD&D reprint made sense, but given the existence of an SRD, I can't understand why they reprinted 3.5 before going back for this gem.
Even mentzer himself has said he's not fond of the book that took his edition and mashed it into one, making you use all the rules.

Not quite. The whole setup is Guidelines Not Rules, whether in BECMI or the RC. But I thought Aaron brought in several 2e bits (like Skills) which had not been integrated fully or properly. I spent years working out that complete D&D BECMI system, and didn't (and don't) appreciate some of the RC changes and additions that were in conflict with it.

Also, the RC essentially made the BECMI game world mandatory. Although Bruce Heard did a fabulous job coordinating all the gazetteers and such, I think the setting should not be bundled with the core rule book (just as no setting was bundled with the Advanced rules). That choice should be left entirely to the users.

To be fair, I would assume that both Allston and Heard were obeying Orders From Above regarding the inclusion of 2e bits and the setting.  

FM

But thanks for spelling the name right, Bloodlust. ;>
wow, the legend speaks! thanks for stopping by to clarify frank! i was just rereading some of your stuff this weekend as a matter of fact; it never gets old!
The Rules Cyclopedia is, no question, the best book TSR ever put out. BX/BECMI is my favorite rules set, and the Cyclopedia makes it so easy to reference these rules (even with the every-so-slight differences).

My weekly group still plays RC rulesset D&D. I have one copy of the actual book, and have printed/bound a few copies from the PDF from when it was available. These are nice, but I can almost guarantee that every player in my group would pick up a copy if it were available new. Hell, I'd buy at least two.

Wizards, I'll be frank. You haven't gotten a single penny from me (aside from the PDF purchase) since you took over from TSR. If you re-release the RC (and going out on a limb here, either re-released other classic D&D stuff, or started publishing new content for that rules set) you will have gained me as a life-long customer.
I'll be frank.

Hey, that's MY job.
I'll be frank.

Hey, that's MY job.

Laughing
Yes, please reprint the Rules Cyclopedia! I will buy two copies at the very least!

Either that, or the whole line of BECMI boxed sets would be fantastic.

-Havard
I would do so as well. That book is full of awesomeness.
As stated earlier, it's the best 'complete game' book ever made.
Please reprint the rules cyclopedia....I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!!
I too would like to get a new Rules Cyclopedia!

GP
I miss some of the things that the Rules Cyclopedia omits as a D&D (minus the 'A') product, but this book is one of the most nicely indexed, organized, easiest to read rules products (IMO) ever to be produced by TSR. Possibly because it is the distilled result of so many box set incarnations.

It is a shame that BECMI is made up of boxed sets. From what I can tell they are much less economical to reprint than a regular book. I think the loose binder format of 2nd Edition's MC products is why that edition hasn't got covered by WotC's reprint machine yet.

I have OSRIC, Labrynth Lord, White Box Swords & Wizardry, 1st edition, and 2nd edition AD&D references on my shelf, but I turn to the Rules Cyclopedia, again and again as a quick, ready reference for old school gaming. It is just so nicely layed out. Virtually everything you need for a fantasy RPG minus the stuff that just boggs things down.

You have OSRIC, LL and S&W, but have you tried Dark Dungeons, from Gratis Games? From what I am told anyone that likes the RC and BECMI will like Dark Dungeons.

Well, when I say "anyone", I'm not going to include Frank in that, as I don't think anyone ever asked his opinion on the system yet.

Even mentzer himself has said he's not fond of the book that took his edition and mashed it into one, making you use all the rules.

Not quite. The whole setup is Guidelines Not Rules, whether in BECMI or the RC. But I thought Aaron brought in several 2e bits (like Skills) which had not been integrated fully or properly. I spent years working out that complete D&D BECMI system, and didn't (and don't) appreciate some of the RC changes and additions that were in conflict with it.

I have wondered if you ever thought about what could have followed up B/X and BECMI to be the third (forth?) version of the classic rules. It went from two bits to five bits. Would you have compacted it into a single book or added even more installments (i.e. BECMI + KS) and kept it so that later bits (either boxed sets or books) were optional modules that could be bolted on?

Also, the RC essentially made the BECMI game world mandatory. Although Bruce Heard did a fabulous job coordinating all the gazetteers and such, I think the setting should not be bundled with the core rule book (just as no setting was bundled with the Advanced rules). That choice should be left entirely to the users.

To be fair, I would assume that both Allston and Heard were obeying Orders From Above regarding the inclusion of 2e bits and the setting.

That is something I'd want from gaming too (take note D&D Next designers). I personally think that campaign settings are the interesting things and that rule systems are there to help the settings come to life.

If D&D is for players, I should be able to take a setting like Mystara, and plug it into AD&D, 3rd Edition, 4th Edition or D&D Next and still have it "feel" like Mystara. The job of a game engine (either RC or anything else) is to facilitate things for the GM and get out of the way of the storytelling.

It was interesting to see that D&D Next is going to allow for three types of arcane spellcasting, but I would ask if it is going to be able to do what RC or BECMI does (not necessarily the same way). For one thing is D&D Next going to shoehorn GMs into Jeff Grubb's Great Wheel or Frank Mentzer's BECMI cosmology...or facilitate both (somehow).

I'll be frank.

Hey, that's MY job.

Aw. I wanted to be Frank too? Tongue Out

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

Also, the RC essentially made the BECMI game world mandatory. Although Bruce Heard did a fabulous job coordinating all the gazetteers and such, I think the setting should not be bundled with the core rule book (just as no setting was bundled with the Advanced rules).

I disagree here.  3rd ed and beyond are set in Greyhawk.  there are no gazeteer info but deities etc... all aim at Greyhawk.  Do I play greyhawk no never really liked the setting.  do I play Mystare Yes  but that is a personal preference.  in 3rd I play a generic world or Mystara depending on my group.

Back to the topic at hand.  If they put another RC out I woud be quick to buy at least 2 copies as these are the easist rules to bring a new person into our beloved Hobby
Also, the RC essentially made the BECMI game world mandatory. Although Bruce Heard did a fabulous job coordinating all the gazetteers and such, I think the setting should not be bundled with the core rule book (just as no setting was bundled with the Advanced rules).

I disagree here.  3rd ed and beyond are set in Greyhawk.  there are no gazeteer info but deities etc... all aim at Greyhawk.  Do I play greyhawk no never really liked the setting.  do I play Mystare Yes  but that is a personal preference.  in 3rd I play a generic world or Mystara depending on my group.

There was a Greyhawk-lite element in 3rd Edition's PHB (just as there was a Mystara element to RC), but Frank wasn't saying that the two were not combined elsewhere. He was saying that the rules and settings should not be combined. Maybe he also thinks that the inclusion of GH-lite elements in the 3e core is also mistake.

In fact, I know some Greyhawk fans that don't totally appreciate the GH-lite thing. There are some things in core 3e rulebooks that are either not supposed to be part of the World of Greyhawk or are out-and-out parts of Forgotten Realms or other campaign settings. There inclusion in 3e corebooks and the "core = Greyhawk" thing that everyone thought was going on is a bit confusing. (An example of my own confusion with GH-lite is a monster called the equiceph, that was included as an undead critter in the GH subsetting bundled with Chainmail and then reused as a living critter - with no origin story - in 3e's Miniatures handbook. Miniatures Handbook was core. So does that mean it can be found wandering the Flanaess?) I think the same sort of confusion happens if you bundle BECMI and Mystara into a single package. If you actually tie the two together, it makes the BECMI rules into "setting information" and that stops them being "optional".

I think it is better for settings to springboard off of rules and for setting designers to add in some new rules to make the setting feel unique. I also feel strongly that settings should be able to exercise that concept of rules being guidelines and be able to turn off sections of the rules that clash with the vision of the setting. A key area, where Mystara is concerned is the concept of gods. Gods are fundimental to almost every edition of D&D...but not to Mystara. But to use Mystara with another set of rules (other than BECMI) all you need to do is switch of the idea of deities and reboot that concept as Immortals. Job done, the setting wins and D&D is doing the job it is supposed to. It is a little harder to do that with 3e Greyhawk, as you need to analyise the rules to see if all the embedded-stuff is really suppose to be there.

One thing I do like about 3e, is that it has an SRD (something I'd love to retroactivly be created for the RC/BECMI era). The SRD has not got Greyhawk-lite in it and if you want to run a 3rd Edition Mystara campaign it might be easier to take the SRD and Mystarar conversions and mix and match them to build a bespoke "Mystara PHB".

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

Another vote for a Rules Cyclopedia reprint, right here! :D
I will vote with my wallet and buy 3 copies if this ever sees print. My old copy is getting quite worn and both of my young sons would love to have one. They consistently sell for 45-60 USD on Ebay so I can't see how this couldn't be a win-win, particularly if WotC simply did a POD version. My game group alone would probably purchase 6 or more copies.
Wore my first copy out and eventually thrown out by wife .  Bought a well-used copy on ebay last year.  Would love a brand new reprint.  Would also love it if they reprinted the D&D Gazetteers, even if it was a boxed set for $$$, I would be very tempted to buy it just to have it.  DM'd a game with it for several years back in the 90s and came up with a lot of house rules and custom classes and monsters, lost all that too but it is never too late to start over.
Just another vote for the Rules Cyclopedia.