reprint of 2e coming soon?

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
I did get a response on Twitter about the 2E books. Their response was "I don't have any news on that. If we plan a 2E reprint, you'll see it on the website and here!"

Don't know how to read into that.   

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I did get a response on Twitter about the 2E books. Their response was "I don't have any news on that. If we plan a 2E reprint, you'll see it on the website and here!"

Don't know how to read into that.   

My guess is that they are taking a wait and see approach. We know that after the 3.5 reprints they've got another 3.5 book "Spell Compendium" and another 1e book "Unearthed Arcana". Clearly they figure these are books people want more than the 2e books at this moment. Maybe if sales of those books are high enough they'll know that there is enough of a market for reprints that they would risk a 2e reprint.

I've also been wondering if there's a legal issue over reprinting the 2e material. Wasn't there a legal skirmish from Gygax and/or Dave Arneson about 2e basically being 90% 1e but without mentioning the authors of the first edition? I wonder if WotC is worried about opening up that can of worms again. 
I understand the desire for 3.5 & 1E reprints, but based on my own discussions with others at the FGLS, Gen Con, and here, the desire for 2E is just as strong. 1 & 2E were the longest-running editions; many of those my age cut their teeth on 2E, and still play it. I have guys that were in diapers during 2Es heyday that want to try it. So I wouldn't say that there is less want of these core rulebook reprints than the other editions, per se... There may be other reasons. I would have to guess that they have the same issue of format to current print standards that they had with 1E, as one example, and this may be why they're taking this long. I'm hoping that they announce the 2E core books in the next few weeks, as the 3.5 reprints excitement starts to wear down a little.

I would also argue that having the 2E core books reprinted will also help with PDF sales of the 2E stuff. 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

Maybe they fear the 2ed awesomeness will steal market for DDN. Tongue Out
And i'm joking,yes,but there could be a half truth in that. I'm ready to bet  about 2ed fans being a good chunk of the DDN playtesters.
1ed is too old,3.x still has followers with pathfinder but 2ed fans, if they could have new manuals could just buy them and forget about the new edition.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
Maybe they fear the 2ed awesomeness will steal market for DDN.
And i'm joking,yes,but there could be a half truth in that. I'm ready to bet  about 2ed fans being a good chunk of the DDN playtesters.
1ed is too old,3.x still has followers with pathfinder but 2ed fans, if they could have new manuals could just buy them and forget about the new edition.

Good point. I know a LOT of old school players who still play 2e. They are cautiously excited about DDN, but I wonder who many of them would choose to buy shiny new reprints of their favorite books instead of the new 5e books?

I'd say it'll depend on the final product of DDN. I know one thing, 5e had better be a monster home run or D&D as RPG is in big trouble. I think Hasbro will only tolerate so many reboots. 
I cant agree more.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.

Good point. I know a LOT of old school players who still play 2e. They are cautiously excited about DDN, but I wonder who many of them would choose to buy shiny new reprints of their favorite books instead of the new 5e books?

I'd say it'll depend on the final product of DDN. I know one thing, 5e had better be a monster home run or D&D as RPG is in big trouble. I think Hasbro will only tolerate so many reboots. 

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I love 2e, and I'm cautionsly optimistic about 5E. But I also like 3.5 and 1e, and to a lesser extent 4e. From my perspective, it would actually increase my chances of playing 5e when it comes out if they give me the 2e reprints as an "olive branch," as many of us are still angry at the flack 2e got when 3rd came out, especially since much of the ire about 2e, to me and others, was somewhat unjustified. If they don't give a 2e reprint, I will probably still play 5e, but I will feel more a part of the D&D community as a whole if WotC gave 2e the props it deserves instead of ragging it and alienating those of us who love it. 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Are there any other fans of Tony DiTerlizzi who would get behind commissioning him to do the 2e covers? I loved his art in Planescape and the monster manuals. He's a big reason I'm so attached to the edition. As a young artist he was truly inspirational to me.

I guess some people might think it's too cartoonish but it's so much more expressive than all the dour fantasy art that adorns most D&D products. It's like a breath of fresh air. It gets my brain juices flowing.
I'm under the impresson that, if there's enough of a demand (and it looks like there is), WotC will give us these reprints. That being said, I would love for them to be as true to the original 1989 stylings as possible, similar to the 3.5 reprints. Pretty up the original Easley cover with the fighter charging on the horse, the incredible dragon/wizard, and the various monsters (using the Monsterous Manual instead of the Monsterous Compendium). I don't have much space left on my D&D shelves, but there is an open space for these reprints, along with the 1e & 3.5 reprints when I can afford them.

As a side note, whenever I have been asked what the essence of what D&D is to me, I always tell people to refer to page 7 of the 2e Player's Handbook (the post-dragon encounter painting done by Elmore).   

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

As a side note, whenever I have been asked what the essence of what D&D is to me, I always tell people to refer to page 7 of the 2e Player's Handbook (the post-dragon encounter painting done by Elmore).   

That's the good stuff.

I reall love the original cover art and I hate what they did to the updated version. Those covers and exchanging the placid blue tones with that eye stabbing red. So, yes I would want to see the originals redone as closely as possible, unless...

the company would pay and T.D. would accept, then I would absolutely take his original art and have a unique book set.

I reall love the original cover art and I hate what they did to the updated version. Those covers and exchanging the placid blue tones with that eye stabbing red. So, yes I would want to see the originals redone as closely as possible, unless...

the company would pay and T.D. would accept, then I would absolutely take his original art and have a unique book set.

I'm not familiar with the work he did for Planescape. Which ones did he do so I can take a look?

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

I'm not familiar with the work he did for Planescape. Which ones did he do so I can take a look?

The original box set, Planscape Players Handbook, Planes of Chaos, the Monster Manuals, just about everything!
There is the list of his works on his website.
I picked up my 1st edition reprints this week and I have to say that if this is the new WOTC, all I have to say is WELCOME BACK!.  This was a wonderful suprise, real treasures that I look forward to passing on to my kids when they get a bit older.  Its a great tribute to the fans and to Gygax himself, so just wanted to say BIG THANKS from me.

To me 2nd edition is as much part of the history of D&D as 1st edition and I would pick those up with the feverish excitment I had when I got the 1st edition books, so don't even hesitate Wizards, get those bad boys the printers.

I personally don't see a reason for the 3.5 reprints, my books have held up very nicely which speaks of WOTC's attention to quality, but I can understand that there is probobly more than sufficient fans to fill these orders as well. 

I have to say that I'm really impressed with Wizards right now.  Between their new adopted philosophy of testing and community feedback on NEXT, the reprints of these classics books and just their general attitude of embracing all the generations of D&D players and not just the latest has really brought me back as a fan.  While your fans Wizards have their squabbles and differences of opinion, we are all D&D fans of one generation or another and embracing this and giving back to the fans that have made this franchise great is a sure fire way to unit this disturbingly fragment community.  Your on a roll!  Keep it up!  

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

http://www.gamersdungeon.net/

The 2E reprints are already on the gaming best-sellers list on Amazon. They are outselling the 1E reprints, and on pace with the 3.5 reprints. They are crushing the 4E sales on Amazon, and it's only 1 day into the presale! So much for "no interest in 2e by the players." Cool

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Do you know if Amazon does their "Best-Sellers" as a trending thing (purchase per hour/day) or as total sales?
Sign In to post comments