How do I handle travel through the wilderness/dangerous planes?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The thing is, I want to make use of the many interesting rules on travelling through the wilderness, but I can't see how to make it interesting. I currently feel like my best option is to narrate the journey (and to summarize it at that too) and PERHAPS to ask for rolls. I WANT them to roll and possibly get lost in the wilderness, but the rules are so SPECIFIC to the hour. I'd have to ask the players to roll per HOUR of every day to see if they're lost or for the many other nuances of travel, it just seems to get bog down so quickly. I plan for the players to travel a LOT in other planes and the ones that look like they're going to give me the most trouble would be limbo and possibly pandemonium (I currently play pathfinder, but when I compared THEIR manual of the planes with the 3/3.5 (not sure which one) version, I was very disappointed).

How do I handle travel through the planes where the elements force players to roll once every ten minutes? Limbo looks like a real pain to handle in addition to elemental planes.

I don't want to treat travel as merely a transition phase where I say 'it take you thirteen days to get there' or such, I want them to feel the wilderness and its dangers, that goes more than doubly so for the planes.
… the 3/3.5 (not sure which one) version …

The 3.0 book about planes was called Manual of the Planes, and the 3.5 one was called Planar Handbook.

Get an average roll for each PC. Use that for the bulk of it provided everything goes according to plan. If something crazy happens, or off of their plan, have them make a check then. "I think we are gonna stay an extra day to check out this acid waterfall" or "We are going to pal around with these gith pirates" for example. I'd just ignore the "roll every 10 min in character" bit and use the charts for results. 

Maybe if something happens until the next check say it lasts about 10 min, and call for another check to see if it changes. Keep doing that until it changes or ends. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

It has been my experience that completely eliminating the "random"ness of encounters and rolls for overland travel has proved, in my case, to be successful. I am not big on scrounging up an encounter while my players are sitting there staring at the wall. All of my encounters, including getting lost, are all planned on my part. So, when the players do get lost, you actually have some story telling that is planned. The other thing about random encounters is that when the players see you reading through the DMG or MM after some dice have been rolled, they will start thinking about what they are going to do if it is an encounter and are ready for it. How "random" is that?

Also, in my campaign, players do not roll dice for what they would be unaware of. For instance, I would never let my players roll the dice to check if they are lost. It alters the way they would roll play the situation. Another example would be hide checks. Obviously if they roll a 2 or 3 and not the 20 they were looking for, they are going to play out their next few moves differently than what they would otherwise.
Obviously if they roll a 2 or 3 and not the 20 they were looking for, they are going to play out their next few moves differently than what they would otherwise.

THIS is also another problem that I think I have to find a solution for, mainly because if they roll even a sense motive and get a number that low, they'll assume/know they've failed. I'm thinking I may take the advice of someone from the paizo forums for this: Have the players roll 5 will saves, 5 sense motives and 5 perception checks (and in this case, 5 hide/stealth (for PF) checks) at the start of the game and then I'd record them for automatic use when the chance crops up.
Another way to do it would be to have them make random rolls that mean nothing, so even if they get the 2 or 3, they can plan for an ambush... that never happens.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls