What happen with the monthly playtest update?

When the playtest was released, a very interesting podcast was released too:

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

During the podcast, Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford stated that we are going to receive small updates every 4 to 5 weeks. I was very exited waiting for the release of the update this week (or maybe next week). But then in today’s column, Mike Mearls stated that we are going to receive an update at the End of the Summer. That should probably be by August.

I would rather prefer to have more small updates than to have a huge update 3 months after they release the original rules.

There was an update today, but it's not what you were hoping for.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...
Update does not mean new playtest packet.  It just means regular communication from the developers to the fanbase about what's happening.
Update does not mean new playtest packet.  It just means regular communication from the developers to the fanbase about what's happening.

They meant an update to the rules with new rules options. Please listen to the podcast, around 5:10 minutes.

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...
Ooops!  So you're right.  My apologies.
I too was wondering how so many had glossed over this fact.  I'm not really angry about it or anything.  I get how dev cycles work.  I'm just sad I won't be seeing character gen rules till after july.  Although my summer is pretty busy anyways so it isn't like I would have had to much time to look at the rules anyways.

It's not ready.

In other news, WotC has not yet learned to avoid making statements about when something will be ready for release

Maybe they had planned for quicker updates, but the extreme levels of complaint about certain issues (dull fighters, uneven healing, fuzzy rules) are making them delay until a more complete build is ready. Not sure how realistic it is, but it is my hope.
That's not bad at all, the first play-test, with all the due concessions, was so raw that, after the first session, my group of player just refused to try it any more... I hope to coax them to try it newly after a more playable release.
No more vancian. No "edition war" for me, thank'you.
Another part to consider is that the project manager seemed to make a bad call in how much work was necessary to analyze the feedback.  4 to 5 weeks seems about right to analyze the feedback and provide a written update about where they are going.  They will not have a set of rules refined enough and ready for download  in 4-5 weeks for us to test.  His end of summer guess does not seem like a stretch goal.  I bet they could turn around the feedback and produce a set of rules for us to download and test by end of July.  This of course is a function of how many projects they're working on and the team size.
Another part to consider is that the project manager seemed to make a bad call in how much work was necessary to analyze the feedback.  4 to 5 weeks seems about right to analyze the feedback and provide a written update about where they are going.  They will not have a set of rules refined enough and ready for download  in 4-5 weeks for us to test.  His end of summer guess does not seem like a stretch goal.  I bet they could turn around the feedback and produce a set of rules for us to download and test by end of July.  This of course is a function of how many projects they're working on and the team size.

This.

Question... would people rather see small updates or big ones? Would you rather have another level of the classes, rules updates, a module, and maybe a few more monsters? Or would you prefer another three levels w/ a new dungeon/scenario and overhauled rules?
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls

I think you are correct but for the wrong reason.

I have seen few rule updates so far. They just didn't give us new pdfs to download.

1. Try to only do Advantage when an action is taken to give it.
2. Switch around themes on players and see how that works.
3. Bounded Accuracy 
4. Alternative hitdice mechanics. 
Sign In to post comments