noob questions after reading the tutorial

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi, im new, in ps3 i downloaded the demo yesterday and altough i know the game for years i never played,

so after reading the tutorial im lost, i think thats natural

i created my account now and i want to play online

so:

where is my first cards? cant i have a started pack to make a few online games and check if i am really interested in the game?

will i be able to synchronize with the ps3 or if i play here in pc i will need to play always in pcs?

what cards you prefer? i made a few games in ps3 demo and the red ones seems to be my prefered ones,

thx in advance
First we need to clarify: the game available on PS3 (as well as XBox, Steam and iPad) is Duels of the Planeswalkers, which is an arcadified version of Magic. Magic Online is the digital version of the actual game of Magic and is available only on PC. They operate very differently.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Duels of the Plneswalker forum is located here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584...

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Duels of the Planeswalker forum is located here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584...

See, but from the OP it sounds like he may have gotten an MTGO account, which is why I didn't move it.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
hi, thx for your help, i made confusion with ps3 version and pc version

im playing the trial in pc and its fun, but as usual the noobs cant understand some things

why in a game i had still 39 cards to pick and the other guy had 29? he was putting lots of creatures and i had no cards to choose, only appeared one at a time :/ and i had forests to put more cards,

is there any place we can click so more cards are revealed? thx
Can you first clarify whether you are actually playing Magic Online or Duels of the Planeswalkers on the PC?

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
surely, its magic online
surely, its magic online

let's try this again.

There are a few different games in the Magic family:

There is the paper Trading Card Game - Magic: the Gathering

There is an arcade style game called Duels of the Planeswalker; this game is available on XBox, PS3, iPad and on the PC platform via Steam.

There is an online version of the actual paper game called Magic the Gathering: Online. It available on PC only. In this version there is no AI, there are no achievements or unlocks, and you must build your own deck from card you trade for or get from boosters (just like in paper).

If you are playing on a PC via Steam you are playing Duels of the Planeswalker and not MTG:O. 

Guess what? Chicken butt.

hi,

i told u , i am playing the magic the gathering online,

i donwloaded and started the free trial in pc...

2. MTG:Online Free Trial.

i got it from the link in the help u give to new people
Go to the official site and download the beginers guide. I can't link it now since the site is offline.

People would love to help you out but it's difficult if you use your own "vocabulary".

I believe that what you mean by "is there a way to reveal ore cards" means is there a way to draw more cards. Yes there is but you have to cast cards that draw you more cards. Usually they are blue and most infrequent in green.

For similiar question I think the guide will help you understand the game better. 
thx, but thats the doubt i have after reading the guide, the rest is obviously lack of experience that i will get with time

i dont understand when its the time to draw cards from library, or how can i do it... i lost a game cause i had no cards to choose... i only could use the one card i received every turn and one turn i received a land card and the other a creature, and the other player every turn he put one or 2 creatures...
You always draw a card in the draw step. You could use some cards that draw you extra cards. Like Rites of Flourishing for example. You can always cast as many spells as you wish as long as you have anything to cast and the mana to cast it.

Easiest way to learn magic is by playing wild someone that takes his/hers time to explain stuff to you. If you see me online (same username) you can PM me and I can give you a few pointers.
thx for your help, i will ask for sure

i still doesnt understand when its the draw step, i played 2 games today and win with my new first cards but in one of the games that we had like 15 rounds in the end i had no cards to play again... shouldnt i be able to draw a card every time i have the option to attack? 
On the bottom left side you have the timeline. The 3rd one is Draw step and then you draw your card. Unless I can't remember some crazy card there is no way that drawing a card would prevent you from attacking. 
Did you read the magic academy beginners guide? that explains the stages of a turn and what happens when. the basics are:

- Untap all your cards in play (mainly lands and creatures you attacked with)
- Draw a card
- first main phase (you can play creatures and spells)
- attack phase
---you declare what is attacking
---your opponent decides what to block with
---damage is dealt
- second main phase (you can play more spells and creatures)
- end of turn (various "untill end of turn" effects end)

then its your opponents turn.

Basically if you play more than 1 card a turn and don't have some additional way of drawing cards eventually you will run out of cards to play.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?