Re: Polemarm Master

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Attacks through transcendent ki focus are +1 reach, so  a spiked chain would be reach 2, and the U12 would let you threaten 3 out?
Nope, Superior Implement properties on a Ki Foci only apply to Implement powers.  Weapon Powers do not get the properties of a Superior Implement, even if its used as the Enchantment for a weapon.
I thought that you had the choice of using the weapon property or the ki focus property.
So if I have a plain longsword and a transcendent ki focus+1, I would use the ki focus to attack and get all the properties that go along with it. My longsword would be reach 2, would it not? From the glossary

Ki Focuses and Weapon Attacks: If you use a magic ki focus, you can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of weapon attacks you make using a weapon with which you have proficiency. If you have both a magic ki focus and a magic weapon, you choose before you use an attack power whether to draw on the magic of the ki focus or that of the weapon. Your choice determines which enhancement bonus, critical hit effects, and magic item properties and powers you can apply to that power. You can’t, for example, use the enhancement bonus of your ki focus and the critical hit effect of your magic weapon on the same attack.

Sounds like if I use the ki, my longsword would be reach2. Where is the info on the superior ki's and it only affecting implement powers?
Transcendent ki focus

Superior
Cost: 30 gp

Properties:
Blinking (When you hit with a teleportation attack power, you have concealment until the start of your next turn.).
Reaching (You gain +1 reach with melee attacks using a reaching implement.).

Group:
Ki focus (A ki focus is an implement that certain classes use as a focus for their inner magical energy, known as their ki. A ki focus might take the form of a training manual, a scroll of ancient secrets, or a blunt training weapon. To use a ki focus, you must first attune yourself to it. Some characters study their ki focus to attune themselves to it. Others meditate with it or wield it as they practice their fighting techniques. Once you have attuned yourself to a ki focus, you must either wear or hold it to use it as an implement.).
From the D&D: FAQ for Psionic Powers

2. If I am using a Superior Ki Focus (Accurate) and using that Ki Focus to provide the enhancement, critical and property benefits with a weapon attack, do I get the +1 attack bonus from the Accurate property?
No, the bonus applies only to implement powers. As noted in Player's Handbook 3, the properties of a superior implement apply only to implement powers.

From PHB3 p.195
A superior implement's properties apply only to attacks made with the implement.  They affect only implement powers, even if an implement can be used to make weapon attacks.

You are mixing up the magic properties (which are allowed to apply for a weapon attack), and superior implement properties (which are specifically limited to only work for implement powers). Common mistake.
From the D&D: FAQ for Psionic Powers

2. If I am using a Superior Ki Focus (Accurate) and using that Ki Focus to provide the enhancement, critical and property benefits with a weapon attack, do I get the +1 attack bonus from the Accurate property?
No, the bonus applies only to implement powers. As noted in Player's Handbook 3, the properties of a superior implement apply only to implement powers.

From PHB3 p.195
A superior implement's properties apply only to attacks made with the implement.  They affect only implement powers, even if an implement can be used to make weapon attacks.

thanks for the reference. Will make note. Also thanks Mojo.
Sign In to post comments