[M13-MCD] "M10" Dual Lands

108 posts / 0 new
Last post
Glacial Fortress
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Plains or an Island.
: Add or to your mana pool.

Drowned Catacomb
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control an Island or a Swamp.

Dragonskull Summit
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Swamp or a Mountain.

Rootbound Crag
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Mountain or a Forest.

Sunpetal Grove
Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Forest or a Plains.

Let the "not shocklands?!" rants begin.
I have sets of these?

Chill! 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Not surprising at all.  Really need the shocks to come back in RTR.  Standard was the most balanced it has ever been when the shock lands were legal, with aggro, control, midrange, and combo decks all being viable, and basically every guild color combination having competitive decks.
Dragonskull Summit is 222.
Drowned Catacomb is 223.
Glacial Fortress is 225.
Rootbound Crag is 228.
Sunpetal Grove is 229.

Do these numbers support five shocklands in the set?

Rules Advisor

Lovely cards to see coming back.  Since I never gum up my decks with a bunch of non-basics, these guys provide versatility with virtually no drawback.
The only land slots available are 226 and 227, between "Glacial" and "Rootbound".
I guess that rules out Tectonic Edge coming back too.  I'm disappointed these aren't different at least, but I'm relieved that I don't have to buy more duals.
i love quicksand.
False, black bear.
These will probably be in the core set forever.  They're just plain solid cards.

I wish they were uncommon, though.
Another nail to the coffin for the idea of shocklands coming back. Not surprised, but rather bored by these lands at this point. Shake up things a little and bring back the filterlands!
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
I'm hoping the other two will be new lands, who wants more reprints? But here are some other possibilities.

Glimmerpost
Grand Coliseum
Haunted Fengraf
High Market
Homeward Path
Lotus Vale
Meteor Crater
Mirrodin's Core
Mishra's Factory
Mutavault
Petrified Field
Phyrexia's Core
Reliquary Tower
Reflecting Pool

High Market would make sense for EDH players, drive down the secondary market price. Reliquary is a nice simple one that could be reprinted. Grand Coliseum is balanced and it'd be nice to have a five color land again.
Nice list, but I highly doubt they'd put anything as plane-specific as Glimmerpost, Haunted Fengraf, Mirrodin's Core, Mutavault, Phyrexia's Core, and Reliquary Tower into a core set.

... although I'd loooove a reprint of Reliquary Tower. >_>

Also, /obligatorynerdrageaboutnoshocklands
You are Red/Blue!
Now we wait 3 months for shocks to be revealed in RTR.
If the goal in reprinting shock lands would be to increase the supply for Modern, then putting them in Ravnica would make more sense.  Put them in the set that's going to be drafted for a year.
Get cheaper, you guys!  :D

You hear that? That is the sound of Wizards chortling to themselves how they cleverly feinted on shocks in M13. Yes, fine, you got me. Bravo, whatever.

Its a shame that shocks won't be reprinted here but I presume that means they will be reappearing in RtR. I personally thought that they would do more for this core set than they would do for a "slam dunk" like Ravnica 2.0 (amonst other things, the first gold set since Alara), but then again if I were responsible for RtR - the block which is quite possibly "too big to fail" - I would be making all kinds of fuss to ensure that a set of ten land cards of around $30 each was included.

I can't help but be disappointed for drafting M13 though. All those cards which would play well with shocks will be quite underwhelming otherwise, and most won't cut it even on the kitchen table builds that follow.

Lands are a factor in the perceived value of buying a box. I wonder how much this will impact M13 sales.

So I guess m13 officially sucks now.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Because it has five cards every core set has had since their inclusion?
Well now I'm just hoping ancient ziggaraut will see some reprint love. 

Disappointed very. But RtR should have them. If not, they'll have some interesting dual lands because a gold block needs good duals.

Reflecting pool would be an awesome reprint. So would the vivid cycle 
So, does this make the Gem of Becoming preview article by Zac Hill the worst piece of trolling by WotC since that Coldsnap stunt?

Not.

Cool.

Even if shock lands are coming back in RTR, they could have restrained themselves rather than baiting on us on that article. Honestly, no matter how probable these reprints are, I'm not holding my breath for them anymore.

Just to make it clear, I'm not mad at the shock lands not being in M13. Even a reprint like farseek is OK if the shocks are in RTR but the set didn't have enough rooms for that specific enabler (smaller set sizes and all that). Or even if there are no shocklands or duals at all, just a different ramp spell to get a little variety in a core set.

I'm mad by WotC actively misleading us. Very, very mad. 
What was the Coldsnap stunt?  I was away from Magic during that time...

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Come on Maze of Ith reprint! You still fit the numbers and would make me very happy.

So naturally it will never happen, oh well.

As for these reprints I can't say I'm surprised or disappointed, I get to put them to use for another year.
So, does this make the Gem of Becoming preview article by Zac Hill the worst piece of trolling by WotC since that Coldsnap stunt?

Not.

Cool.

Even if shock lands are coming back in RTR, they could have restrained themselves rather than baiting on us on that article. Honestly, no matter how probable these reprints are, I'm not holding my breath for them anymore.

Just to make it clear, I'm not mad at the shock lands not being in M13. Even a reprint like farseek is OK if the shocks are in RTR but the set didn't have enough rooms for that specific enabler (smaller set sizes and all that). Or even if there are no shocklands or duals at all, just a different ramp spell to get a little variety in a core set.

Shocklands are not being reprinted in Return to Ravnica. Reprints of rares in expansions are rare enough. There's no way WotC is reprinting a cycle of 10 rares in one block.

No, the're going to print a new set of lands to depict how Ravnica has changed with the GUildpact's destruction.

I bet they will reprint the shock lands. No card is more Iconic with Ravnica then them. However, things are looking bleak. I might just sit out of standard the next year.
Expert sets generally don't contain a ton of reprints. It'd be sort of a shame to waste all of the "reprint" slots on lands.
Expert sets generally don't contain a ton of reprints. It'd be sort of a shame to waste all of the "reprint" slots on lands.

And WotC particularly dislikes wasting rare slots in expansions on reprints.

Chances of shocklands being reprinted now = 0.0003%.
only 3 landslots left in M13, so no shocks

still, I like those to have around next to shocks, so it's not that bad
proud member of the 2011 community team

Not.

Cool.

Gem of Becoming was clear support for playing Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.  It's the M13 reprint of Farseek that really convinced me that they're on the way.  They're probably going to do it like they did last time, and split them up between the first and second sets of the block. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Not.

Cool.

Gem of Becoming was clear support for playing Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.  It's the M13 reprint of Farseek that really convinced me that they're on the way.  They're probably going to do it like they did last time, and split them up between the first and second sets of the block. 

They are NOT reprinting them in Return to Ravnica. I've given several valid reasons for this, but no one seems to want to adress them.
They could also make brand new lands with the subtypes plains, island, swamp, mountain and forest that require you to jump some other hurdle
Expected. I never thought we would see them in the core set. I actually don't think we will see them reprinted for another 5 years or more.

True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!

Not.

Cool.

They are NOT reprinting them in Return to Ravnica. I've given several valid reasons for this, but no one seems to want to adress them.

I thought I had given several valid arguments as to why they would return in M13, but I was disappointed. If anything, I think that makes a reprint in RtR more likely.

I don't think that anyone is dismissing arguments against their return in RtR, but rather are choosing to weigh the reasons for their inclusion more highly. Perhaps its a wish fulfilment thing, but I do tend to favour that they will return.
Oddly enough these work wonderful with lands with types like the shocks. 

I do think we are getting some form of nonbasics with basic land types. Weather those are shocks, some sort of new duals, or even just utility monocolor lands. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
These lands are really boring now.

Maybe but for people without a playset they are a $$ savior. Personally I'm glad they are back and hope WoTC continues to print them in core.

I feel keeping costs low for players is a better concept then "lets print some broken card that everyone wants and to be able to play competitive you need to spend $3-400.00 on a tourny deck."
Because it has five cards every core set has had since their inclusion?

More so because there is nothing really interesting to sell the set yet.  Still some spots left but the shock lands would of made the core set a really high selling set.  Put Dark Confidant and/or Noble Hierarch in at rare as well and the set will become a lot more interesting and sought after.

Maybe but for people without a playset they are a $$ savior. Personally I'm glad they are back and hope WoTC continues to print them in core.

I feel keeping costs low for players is a better concept then "lets print some broken card that everyone wants and to be able to play competitive you need to spend $3-400.00 on a tourny deck."

I like keeping costs low.  I like to get all the different cards for as cheap as possible in case there is something I want to build a deck with in the future.  Be it for casual, commander, or standard.  Though reprinting these duals yet again just makes it so there is less reason to open packs because the value will keep going down.  Every set is going to need some chase cards that make stores and competative players want to open them for otherwise you will see boxes of the set sitting around on shelves 5 years from now and stores selling them for $30.  Draft will only open up so many boxes.  Even then if there isn't interesting cards to go after in the set then less people will draft it.

Not.

Cool.

It wasn't either Gem or Farseek seeing print that convinced me, or that upset me.

It was Zac Hill purposely misleading the community by implying nonbasic lands with basic land types.

It was him doing it when the community was already heavily speculating they could be on this core set.

It was him doing it when he already (probably, as a developer) had perfect knowledge about the core set contents, when he already knew these wouldn't see print now.

He could've dispelled the rumours on that column. He could've simply said nothing on the matter. But he actively chose to mislead the community into believing we were seeing different duals this July. He did it from a position of trust and authority within WotC and Magic R&D, and it gave his words a lot more credibility than if they had been said by, for instance, Flores or Steve Sadin or whoever.

And now, honestly, I simply can't and won't hope/believe that these cards are a sign of shocklands or other duals coming in RTR until I've seen proof. I'm equally prone to believe that naming the next Fall set as "Return to Ravnica" and printing Farseek, Arbor Elf and Gem of Becoming are elements of a joke on us, the player base.

And I'm taking everything, EVERYTHING that comes out from Latest Developments and Zac Hill with a grain of salt from now on. To say the least.

/rant 
while he did hint at lands with types in the future he didn't say they would be in M13 ;)
but if they aren't in RTR I'm seriously annoyed at this trolling
proud member of the 2011 community team
another thought on cost

if you put shocks into the core set, then the number of boxes being opened will undoubtedly go up. which should have the effect of pushing down the prices on the other chase cards in the set.

if you put shocks into RtR, then the same applies

However if RtR already has enough goodies that people would open that many boxes anyway (a la ravnica) or if the set is insanely fun to draft (a la innistrad), then the presence of shocks there won't affect the numbers as much.

in other words, if there is an finite number of rare and mythic desirables across RtR and the Core Set, and therefore finite demand, then it doesn't follow that the cheapest option for the customer is to put the shocks in the more popular one. it follows that the cheapest option is to put them in the set that most increases supply of the boxes containing desirables. That may be RtR, or that may be core set - it depends on how they are distributed.

at least i think that follows. I'm a lawyer, not an economist!

I'm not partilcularly fussed where they end up myself, although I am seeing less and less to sell core set to me as a drafter / casual player. I do think the customer trolling was childish, but whatever.
10 spots over an entire block is not a big deal in terms of rare slots, especially if they're all rares that people want.

Personally, I think we are getting shocklands.  If we don't, we are going to get some other type of sweet lands with teh basic land types.  I can't believe that Wizards is stupid enough to make a multicolored set and not provide highly playable and desirable dual lands.

The shocklands are perfect for Magic.  They are great in both aggro and control, while having a very real drawback that punishes greedy manabases.  When the shocks were legal, standard was the most diverse it ever was.