My first day back - A few questions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone, it's my first time back playing MTG.  The last time i looked at a card was in middle school and i'm currently in my last year of college.  I read the FAQs and signed up for MTG:O but I have a few questions

1.  What are the most dominant decks right now?  After browsing I kept running into the same key words.  Delver, wolf run ramp, RC aggro.  What are they and what makes them so good?  And does the meta change often or do these decks stay dominant for a good period of time?

2. I've been playing a lot of rushing/fast beat down aggro decks (goblins!) and want to expand my playstyle.  Can anyone recommend any good control decks to start off with?   Mid-budget decks that are relatively easy to use and are prone to seeing a mid/late game.

3. Are there any good MTG streams or casts?  Something similar to day9 of sc2 or phreak/rivington of league of legends.  I tried the wizardsmtg youtube channel and they don't even explain or show the cards that are being played.   The commentators are usually discussing things that are too advanced while i'm scrambling just to look up the cards they're talking about. 

4. Back when I was playing, there was a deck that used terravore, obliterate, and balancing act.  This was around the period when madness was used a lot.  Is this deck still around?  Can it still be played? 

Thanks a lot for any help 
Hi everyone, it's my first time back playing MTG.  The last time i looked at a card was in middle school and i'm currently in my last year of college.  I read the FAQs and signed up for MTG:O but I have a few questions

1.  What are the most dominant decks right now?  After browsing I kept running into the same key words.  Delver, wolf run ramp, RC aggro.  What are they and what makes them so good?  And does the meta change often or do these decks stay dominant for a good period of time?

2. I've been playing a lot of rushing/fast beat down aggro decks (goblins!) and want to expand my playstyle.  Can anyone recommend any good control decks to start off with?   Mid-budget decks that are relatively easy to use and are prone to seeing a mid/late game.

3. Are there any good MTG streams or casts?  Something similar to day9 of sc2 or phreak/rivington of league of legends.  I tried the wizardsmtg youtube channel and they don't even explain or show the cards that are being played.   The commentators are usually discussing things that are too advanced while i'm scrambling just to look up the cards they're talking about. 

4. Back when I was playing, there was a deck that used terravore, obliterate, and balancing act.  This was around the period when madness was used a lot.  Is this deck still around?  Can it still be played? 

Thanks a lot for any help 

1. Delver's eating things. Like, crushing. It's an aggro-control deck that powers itself on the back of Snapcaster Mage and Delver of Secrets. Wolf-Run-Ramp isn't terribly good right now. It's R/G Aggro's time to shine, with Naya Pod making strong showings as well. R/G Aggro tries to use Strangleroot Geist and Huntmaster of the Fells, along with some other exceedingly powerful cards to beat down as swiftly as possible. Naya Pod does the same thing, but it's not as fast and uses Birthing Pod to go for cards like Wurmcoil Engine and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, which most other decks won't touch with a ten-foot pole.

2. Control isn't phenomenally viable right now. The best "control" deck I can think of in Standard is Esper Walkers, also known as Esper Superfriends, but it's not terribly cheap. If you're looking to get into Modern, try tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sonic-boom-1/ . I don't usually trust TappedOut, but this version is fairly playable and only costs a couple hundred dollars.

3. Channelfireball.com is a great resource for strategy and videos. So is Starcitygames.com.

4. No. Not only are none of the cards legal in Standard or Modern, the deck would be utterly trashed in Legacy or Vintage.

Anyways, good luck. Enjoy Magic - it's a good time to do so.

If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
magic.tcgplayer.com is a third good site.