News - 3.5 Edition Reprints

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
News
3.5 Edition Reprints

We're pleased to offer 3.5 Edition Core Rulebook premium reprints releasing this September! These 3.5 Edition premium reprints feature new covers, gilded edges, and the latest errata. So, be sure to pick yours up at your friendly local book or gaming store!

Talk about this news here.

astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Great to see WotC offering reprints of favorite editions.  I didn't see any mention of pricing so should we expect a mark up like the 1E books received?
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
I had to check it wasn't the 1st of April today when I saw this. Reprinting the original edition is one thing, doing it for the previous edition when trying to sell the next seems... counter productive.
This is happening for a couple reasons.
1) Someone at WotC probably has a delusion that Pathfinder is outselling D&D because 3.5e isn't available in stores.
2) They're trying to rebuild bridges with fans of prior editions to sell their new "best of" edition.
3) Someone saw the positive hype and exitement when someone at Banes & Noble pranked the community with the idea of 3e reprints. It just took them two months to do so. 
4) This is the big one. It's a cheap product (one they can release with a small development cost) to pad their release schedual that is not DOA 4e content, thus buying time to work longer on 5e.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

I think it's great, and I really hope we see some sort of reprint of the original 1974 game, as well as pretty much every other iteration of the game.

I didn't see any mention of pricing so should we expect a mark up like the 1E books received?
What kind of markup did the 1E books get, other than the fact that it is 30+ years later and that inflation thingy? I think the 1E books are priced very reasonably considering today's market.

Used 3.5 PHBs can still go for around $35, so it's a great idea to keep them in print.

I guess my only gripe is that I would like to see some sort of commitment to keep some of these in print on an ongoing basis, rather than limited print runs. Some of us weirdos really dig the older editions, and it would be great to be able to buy brand-new copies of the versions we love.
I'm pretty surprised by this. I still see copies of 3.5 books on the shelves at some stores. I know people that have 3.5 books and they are not at all beat up (most of them). Most of the reactions I've seen about the 1st reprints are, "hey, that's pretty cool." Most of the reactions I've seen so far about the 3.5 reprints are, "that's cool, but do we really need that?"
Gap filler until D&DN is released. I'm surprised they jumped straight to 3.5 and skipped 2e. Something feels wierd about this, maybe something to do with protecting IP and the OGL?
Wayne.
Gap filler until D&DN is released. I'm surprised they jumped straight to 3.5 and skipped 2e. Something feels wierd about this, maybe something to do with protecting IP and the OGL?

That was my guess as well.  There may have been some legal issues that haven't been fully worked out for a reprint of 2e.  
I would buy these reprints as long as they include the errata. Otherwise I'll stick to the .pdf's on my computer.
A suggestion WOTC, if you go and reprint the other books like complete warrior, complete scoundrel, etc. You might consider putting them all into one book, like complete arcane, complete warrior and complete adventurer into one book instead of all three
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
1) Someone at WotC probably has a delusion that Pathfinder is outselling D&D because 3.5e isn't available in stores.
2) They're trying to rebuild bridges with fans of prior editions to sell their new "best of" edition.
3) Someone saw the positive hype and exitement when someone at Banes & Noble pranked the community with the idea of 3e reprints. It just took them two months to do so. 
4) This is the big one. It's a cheap product (one they can release with a small development cost) to pad their release schedual that is not DOA 4e content, thus buying time to work longer on 5e.

Actually, you missed the biggest one: there is demand for it, so they will sell it, and were planning to do so for a while.

There are a lot of people who run and play D&D 3.5, and not Pathfinder, right now. I'm one of them. A new, minty set of rulebooks with new covers and errata included will sell just fine, and that is reason enough to print them.

I'm getting a strong vibe that you're angry with this, somehow. "delusion"? "pad their release"? "buying time"? No, Jester, this is not a scheme, and Wizards of the Coast is not an evil boogeyman. It might surprise you to know this, but sometimes companies really do want to give people what they want to buy.
I'm surprised they jumped straight to 3.5 and skipped 2e. Something feels wierd about this, maybe something to do with protecting IP and the OGL?

It's likely because 1e and 3e were the best selling editions. 2e sold well, but is more defined by its campaign settings and worlds than the core rulebooks.

Actually, you missed the biggest one: there is demand for it, so they will sell it, and were planning to do so for a while.

I wouldn't say that. There are 38 on Amazon right now and 19 on eBay. They're not particularly hard to come buy or find for cheap.
At the price WotC will have to sell them at (read: want to sell them at) you'll easily be able to find a copy online. 

There are a lot of people who run and play D&D 3.5, and not Pathfinder, right now. I'm one of them. A new, minty set of rulebooks with new covers and errata included will sell just fine, and that is reason enough to print them.

Fair enough. But that seems like a fairly small number of people.
But, then again, a limited print run and a product designed to be a "collectible" worked before with the miniature sets and Orcus. If it's treated well, this will be sold as a revised version of the collector's editons (which were very nice), something for the fans and less something to compete with the new edition or 4e.

I'm getting a strong vibe that you're angry with this, somehow. "delusion"? "pad their release"? "buying time"? No, Jester, this is not a scheme, and Wizards of the Coast is not an evil boogeyman.

I think you're reading too much into my tone.
I really do think this was something being done in response to the positive reaction to the 1e reprints while also adding something to their production schedule. This is cynical but a reality of the buisness: they cannot not release any products for an entire quarter and have to have some income to offset the production costs of 5e. A reprint fills that niche nicely. 
I am also pretty confident that many believe Paizo's success is entirely based on the continued popularity of 3.5e and the fans of that edition, and not Paizo the company. 

It might surprise you to know this, but sometimes companies really do want to give people what they want to buy.

I would be very surprised if they upper management at WotC had any clue what its fans want to buy. But I'm confident the actual people in charge of D&D brand (including those writing the books and designing the game) have a pretty good idea. 
But WotC has a loooong history of having really great ideas and then mangling the execution.  

From the survey, I see they are taking suggestions.  I USE the Rules, Spell, and Magic Item Compendium books as much as the PHB in 3.5.  

I was so disappointed when they did not put out a Skill and Feat Compendium (in the same book).  I would love that.  Also, a Race and a Class (w/ Prestige Class) books would be also helpful.  

The compendium books are the best addition to any version of the game.  While some things had balance issues in the Spells and Magic Item books (mostly pricing) it was nothing compared to having it and throwing a couple house rules to fix the issues.  

I want the skills and feats book SO BAD!  Come on WOTC, make my year!     
I know they've said they're going to include the latest errata, but are they going to consider adding new errata to books that didn't get any?

If they'd update Savage Species to be a full 3.5 book instead of a 3.25 book as it was originally, I'd consider getting a new copy of it. If it's just going to be the same thing, I've got no use for a reprint.
I understand the first edition releases. 1E books are hard to find in good condition. Many people have never played The original game. I myself have played for 20 years, but stared in 2nd edition.

Plus, the 1st ed. releases are a great way to connect the whole community back to the games roots prior to retroclone Next's final release.

Their rereleasing 3.5? That to me feels like an apology for the last four years. Just like Highlander 3 pretends that Highlander 2 never existed, so too will D&D go from 3rd edition directly to 5th edition.

What?

Barnes and Noble didn't prank anything. It was the real listing for these books. The decisions to sell these books were made months and months ago. Maybe even a year ago. It was the real deal. Same release date and same ISBN numbers by the way. WotC ordered them to remove the listings because they weren't ready to make any announcements yet. It was the real deal and still is.

What?

Barnes and Noble didn't prank anything. It was the real listing for these books. The decisions to sell these books were made months and months ago. Maybe even a year ago. It was the real deal. Same release date and same ISBN numbers by the way. WotC ordered them to remove the listings because they weren't ready to make any announcements yet. It was the real deal and still is.

Where do you see the ISBN? It's not in the WotC catalogue yet.
And, when asked about the reprints, a WotC spokesman denied it. (It's always nice being lied to.) If B&N did leak the info too soon it is a little amusing. WotC has all their new product announcements scooped by book vendor websites.

And, when asked about the reprints, a WotC spokesman denied it. (It's always nice being lied to.)

I never actually seen any denial. Could you point it out? Thanks.

Now we know why there are no real book products (exept menzoberanzan and the ed greenwood book) in the future.  They have all their manpower binded to next, and have to get some way to make cash in the time between now and the actual release of dndnext. Even dragons and dugeons 'magazine' articles have taken a huge fall in quantity nowadays, with most new update concentrated to next.

I think my days as a buying customer are finished based on what I see.
What about other languages like spanish? any plans? :P
146518563 wrote:
And then Martial was a new exciting new source of power, its practitioners manipulating the energies emanating from the plane of oiled-up burly weightlifters.
Please, I would like the reprint of 3.5 for Spanish language. I think it would be sold better that 4th ed.

I would like the reprint of bestt selling of 3rd Ed but..I have bought a lot of books. Bought, not downloaded. Why I would buy again a book I have just got? (but for collecting).

I advice the semi-core, the books with new PC races and classes (like player handbook II, expanded psionic handbook, complete...)

If psionic handbook is sold again, I suppose it could be sold better with a book of Dark Sun about background and pictures. (but books about background have got a great rival with internet)

* Almost off-topic:

I wonder if the future of rpgs isn´t only MMO online but videogames with option to be played off-line and the posibility of reting servers (by game groups) to play MMO. I would rather the classic rpg books of paper, but I´m afraid the future rpg soucerbooks will be pendrives with form of toys like the franchise spyro: skylanders. I say the books by paper will be like the deluxe collector edition in the videogame industry.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

You know if they really loved us they would realease the paperback 3.5 edition book for the cost fo an essentials book...but they don't love us do they?

You know if they really loved us they would realease the paperback 3.5 edition book for the cost fo an essentials book...but they don't love us do they?

WotC did release a paperback v3.5 Player's Handbook in 2006. It cost $29.95. The same price as the hardcover one. The paperback book did come in a box with a character sheet and a set of dice. I bought one since it always seemed like someone would forget to bring their PHB.
Even dragons and dugeons 'magazine' articles have taken a huge fall in quantity nowadays, with most new update concentrated to next. 

I think my days as a buying customer are finished based on what I see.

Mine too. I don't pay them to work on Next, I pay them to deliver me something now. Since DDI is delivering less and less I won't give them any more of my money. I am not in to finance D&D next
I realize it has only been a week since the official announcement, but these books have not yet been added to the Wizards on-line product catalog page.

Secondly, does the term "local book store" equate to Barnes and Noble or amazon.com? I didn't see these books listed on either web site, althogh I could have missed it.
I realize it has only been a week since the official announcement, but these books have not yet been added to the Wizards on-line product catalog page.

Secondly, does the term "local book store" equate to Barnes and Noble or amazon.com? I didn't see these books listed on either web site, although I could have missed it.

Several months ago Barnes & Noble had the listing for the D&D v3.5 reprints with errata listed on their website complete with ISBN numbers. So the v3.5 reprints should be a much wider release through the book chain. The first edition reprints are being sold online to British folks for certain. Not sure if we Americans are going to be able to get them that way. I think we probably will be able to but not sure.
If Savage Species were reprinted updated for 3.5....would be different the list of monster classes? I was published before 3.5 Ed.

And we could be the idea of racial classes from Complete Psionic.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

If Savage Species were reprinted updated for 3.5....would be different the list of monster classes? I was published before 3.5 Ed.
And we could be the idea of racial classes from Complete Psionic.

I kind of doubt that such a detailed work as revising Savage Species is going to be done by WotC staff. They seem to have their hands full. To truly do it justice they would have to hire out for it. I remember being so disappointed by Savage Species both for the frequent errors in it and that fact that it was out dated before it hit the retail stores. One of the very few books I felt disappointed I spent money on.
I would love to see reprints of old adventures. That would let new players enjoy old content that is harder to find these days.

Lerin
And, when asked about the reprints, a WotC spokesman denied it. (It's always nice being lied to.) If B&N did leak the info too soon it is a little amusing. WotC has all their new product announcements scooped by book vendor websites.

And they were denying the existence of DDN here on the forums three days before the official announcement.  WotC employees are contractually obligated not to admit to stuff like that.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

Secondly, does the term "local book store" equate to Barnes and Noble or amazon.com? I didn't see these books listed on either web site, althogh I could have missed it.

As of this morning they are listed.
Thanks for the heads up on this Warunsun. I found them listed at amazon.com. No cover picture yet.

I still don't see them listed by Wizards on their own product catalog page though.
For those asking the price ... I believe they're saying $49.95 for them. 

... and for those saying that it may be because of the "delusion" that Pathfinder is ourselling D&D ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, it's not a delusion.  Industry stats support it.  It's a fact that Pathfinder outsells D&D 4th Edition.
For those asking the price ... I believe they're saying $49.95 for them. 

... and for those saying that it may be because of the "delusion" that Pathfinder is ourselling D&D ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, it's not a delusion.  Industry stats support it.  It's a fact that Pathfinder outsells D&D 4th Edition.

There is actually no real information either way on that Internet dispute. Any "Industry Statistics" are based purely on phone calls and speculation. No one except WotC and Paizo together could prove it either way.
Unless one happens to work for a company that owns multiple gaming stores in a large state like Texas, and can report regional sales for individual product lines.  Especially if one happens to be the largest gaming store in a city of about 5.4 million people.

... granted,   that may not be unbiased enough for some tastes.  Others might say hat it only represents regional purchasing, not nationwide.  Personally, while it may not be 100% perfect, as if WotC and Paizo released sales numbers, I think that it's a good enough example to form an opinion on. ... and it certainly *far* from being a delusion.  Opinion, perhaps.  Delusion, no.
Opinion, perhaps.  Delusion, no.

It still will not win Internet thread discussions. It is only opinion-based like most things on the Internet. Everyone has opinions to throw around. I am not saying you or any of the folks that engage in the Pathfinder VS D&D are wrong with your conclusions. Just that the other side of the argument is not going to relent because you or them can't prove anything regarding sales numbers.
Really, dude?  It's about "winning" an internet thread?  Seriously?  Wow ... okay. 
I was just offering a statment that is merely within my experience.  I already siad above that it's essentially nothing more than my own opinion based on meandering experience.  The only objection that I made was to the fella upthread that said it's "delusional".  It's a arguable point, either way ... but it is far from a delusion. 

Other than that ... you're not even really participating in the discussion about it - you're simply arguing the point that it's impossible to know.  But, even if the companies involved published financial sales record, you then could say, "Well, they could have changed those numbers."  Without a hand-count of every individual book as it was sold or shipped, it's still theorectically impossible to know, right? What is this? An election in Florida?  So, you're feeding the argument for no apparent reason; you're fanning the fire on both sides - like an arms dealer keeping his business going.  " ... just that the other side of the [war] is not going to relent because [they'll buy bigger guns]."  You're like the guy in the Ballpark franks commercial: "If you're not sure, you're not sure." 

Thanks for all that stimulating debate, and all ... but, you know ... could we just be polite to the other readers of the thread and just keep it to the Original Post topic?  There's a new one for the internet!  A debate that doesn't continue?    Take it easy, and Good Gaming to all!   
Take it easy, and Good Gaming to all!

Actually this thread was about v3.5 reprints. You brought all this talk of Pathfinder vs D&D sales.
Actually this thread was about v3.5 reprints. You brought all this talk of Pathfinder vs D&D sales.

Nope ... sorry.  Wasn't me. I did nothing of the kind.

...  a delusion that Pathfinder is outselling D&D because 3.5e isn't available in stores. ...