Jenna Helland to pen Vorthos column

589 posts / 0 new
Last post
I will be in my bunker, I hope to emerge finding the world covered with less bodily fluid than I expect.
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Still, good news for us, ya?
It also provides that Brady and Trick listened to what we said we wanted. Uncharted Realms sounds very much like what some of us were hungering after.
Relevant text:

"Saffron was the codename for this process as I worked with the creative team to develop the new column. I'm jumping ahead slightly, but I want to go ahead and lay out details for Uncharted Realms, the name for Saffron. It will be a weekly column that kicks off this Wednesday and will be written by Jenna Helland with help from the creative team.

"Uncharted Realms is a different column from Savor the Flavor. Savor the Flavor was largely about our creative process and what went into making the characters, stories, and—ultimately—cards. It explored different types of content, including fiction and art, but largely it was about the creative process.

With Uncharted Realms, you won't be getting our behind-the-scenes creative stuff. You'll instead get a new piece of Magic's story. Each article will be tied directly to a card in Magic. It might be about the character on the card; a piece of flavor text blown up and expanded into a short story; or an encyclopedia entry about some beast, event, or ancient relic. Every week, you're going to get to meet, see, or visit a different piece of Magic's Multiverse.

We'll still have behind-the-scenes creative content, but that will be served as extra features along the way and for the most part it'll peek out around new sets. I should mention that beginning with Return to Ravnica, you'll be able to look forward to the Planeswalker Guides, which will take Uncharted Realms's slot for a few weeks leading up to the set."

My Body Is Ready.

As a complete aside, I never noticed the little man in the boat in Drowned Catacombs until now. Now make jokes about that innuendo as you will.
Sweet.
… and then, the squirrels came.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

This may be the best news we've gotten since the announcement that they were printing the Artifacts Cycle collections. I'm just floored with how absolutely awesome this is.

I'm curious now, though, as to what justified this column. After all, Brady pointed out to us not more than a month ago that short stories take a lot more effort to write but don't get more page views. What changed their mind about this?

....Wait, there's an Ask Brady thread. I should just go Ask Brady there, shouldn't I? Herp.

Also, once more with feeling:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm curious now, though, as to what justified this column. After all, Brady pointed out to us not more than a month ago that short stories take a lot more effort to write but don't get more page views. What changed their mind about this? 

I'd guess Trick did, from the sound of the article.
I imagine it boils down to this:

Jenna is doing the column and she likes to write short stories.

I dunno, in the past it's always been heavily implied that Jenna had something else that she was involved in that prevented her from doing something like this.
Don't get me wrong, love to see her here, but those statements were made.

I'd guess Trick did, from the sound of the article.

That's the impression I got, too. It's interesting to me that he mentioned looking at the numbers, since presumably they were the same numbers Brady was looking at.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

I dunno, in the past it's always been heavily implied that Jenna had something else that she was involved in that prevented her from doing something like this.
Don't get me wrong, love to see her here, but those statements were made.

I think she's heavily involved in worldbuilding and R&D (I think she was a major part of desinging the tribes for Innistrad).
I think she's heavily involved in worldbuilding and R&D (I think she was a major part of desinging the tribes for Innistrad).

Actually she was just heavily involved in Innistrad period.
But it begs the question of "what changed?"
Once again, no complaints, but I'm compelled to know things like this.
Maybe Trick is just more optimistic that the numbers will be high. Perhaps he is selling it as an alternative to novels and webcomics for the fanbase who likes that kind of thing, and his superiors felt it was an inexpensive method to cater to fans.

For Jenna's part, maybe a series of well-written short stories would look very good on her industry resume. Work in commitee can obfuscate who did what, but a story with your name on it is yours, for good or bad. Thus, she's willing to put in the extra hours.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Actually she was just heavily involved in Innistrad period.
But it begs the question of "what changed?"
Once again, no complaints, but I'm compelled to know things like this.

I don't think any changed. Jenna started working at Wizards in 2008, after Doug had already taken over the flavor column. This is the first chance she has had to write it.
I don't think any changed. Jenna started working at Wizards in 2008, after Doug had already taken over the flavor column. This is the first chance she has had to write it.

Regularly. But no, Brady specifically told us Jenna was too busy to do a lot of articles back when there was so many complaints being lobbed at Doug.
Well maybe we'll find out in the first article, or maybe she'll stop by. (Brady's posting again, so maybe she'll join in from time to time)
I LOVE the new direction they seem to be taking. Flavor for individual cards? One of my favorite thing about Magic is the idea that each card is a story, one where we can only see a single moment. 
This is very good news - I have motivation to get out of bed on Wednesday mornings again now

Excited to hear this. Especially because we'll still be getting behind the scenes info. 

I can't wait until Wednesday.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

OH MY FRICKIN' GAWD

I wasn't expecting that Jenna will handle the replacement. Really REALLY floored.

And the premise for this new column is exciting, can't wait to see the first update.
Perhaps someone else took over one of her responsibilities for one of any number of possible reasons?
Is it Wednesday yet? Uuuuugh I want it to be Wednesday
While im not terribly familiar with Jennas work, with all this praise she gets and the format of the column this looks very promising.
I deeply missed the old flavor column so im very happy for this.

Another reason to wait for Wednesdays.
Rokukel, have you read any of her short stories? They're worth checking out. A lot of the better-liked comics were penned by her as well.
Where would these stories be located perchance?
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Where would these stories be located perchance?

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Archive.a...
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
Merci
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
@Keeper: I have most probably read her work before but i havent "memorised" what is her work and what isnt.

Thanks for the link. Smile
Hmmn...

- the mini story happens post-Cursemute
- Avacyn is still dealing with the escapees of the Helvault
- Sigarda's forces is cleaning up after the mess of the necromancer twins
- Odric captured mah BB Garruk Well at least he's going to be brought to Avacyn without too much search.

p.s. Should this thread's title be edited to "Uncharted Realms" now? :P
I like how his freakishly huge frame was a plot device. :P
So, no news of what actually happened to Geralf, although I'm not surprised he and his sister showed up in the story. Helland really likes them, apparently. Same goes for Ludovic. Good to hear the lunatic is still running around free.

This is interesting for how it fills in the blanks. I'm really, really hoping we get to see his actual interaction with Avacyn, and it's cool that Helland tied in his story with Odric's.

This also means that we're going to have to start treading more lightly in the Expanded Multiverse again, because it looks like we're going to start getting blank spaces in continuity filled in. So, while something like The Last Troll and the proposed Innistrad fan novel made sense a few months ago, now they're a whooole lot riskier, because there's a good chance that Helland might fill in those spaces for us.

Which... honestly is not something I'm going to complain about. :D

The prose was a little rough around the edges, but I'm not too surprised about that, really, since these are done on a time limit. Seeing these characters in action, and getting a ground's eye view of Innistrad, is really cool.
I just thought of this now... I wonder if Jenna's going to do the whole M13 Legends.

If that is so... a peak at the Ravnica that the game is going to return to~ Exciting. :D
I really enjoyed reading the story. Very much looking forward to what Jenna has in store for the future. Having glimpses like these into planes post-block is a really neat way to check in on them without necessarily having to go back to them in the cards.

@Moppi: Which part made you think Odric's a wolfir? I didn't get that impression, and of course, his card would be misrepresenting him by quite a bit.

Definitely knew it was Garruk as soon as the large shadow was mentioned :P
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />@Moppi: Which part made you think Odric's a wolfir? I didn't get that impression, and of course, his card would be misrepresenting him by quite a bit.

I misread, I edited my post in the earlier page. :P

I'm also liking the fact that some elements and references were included but didn't make the piece look tacky. :D

Does Jenna Helland have a twitter or contact page or something? I need to send her some love~

So, no news of what actually happened to Geralf, although I'm not surprised he and his sister showed up in the story. Helland really likes them, apparently. Same goes for Ludovic. Good to hear the lunatic is still running around free.

This is interesting for how it fills in the blanks. I'm really, really hoping we get to see his actual interaction with Avacyn, and it's cool that Helland tied in his story with Odric's.

This also means that we're going to have to start treading more lightly in the Expanded Multiverse again, because it looks like we're going to start getting blank spaces in continuity filled in. So, while something like The Last Troll and the proposed Innistrad fan novel made sense a few months ago, now they're a whooole lot riskier, because there's a good chance that Helland might fill in those spaces for us.

Which... honestly is not something I'm going to complain about. :D

The prose was a little rough around the edges, but I'm not too surprised about that, really, since these are done on a time limit. Seeing these characters in action, and getting a ground's eye view of Innistrad, is really cool.

It actually does screw with the novel a little bit; the ending I was working towards had Avacyn pardoning Ludevic for his crimes on the terms that he work for the Church as a sort of drill sergeant. (Hence why the card Grounded has them capturing his Scrapskin Drake rather than destroying it. Now I am going to have to tweak his involvement in the end, probably to something where she deliberately turns a blind eye while he runs away. I`ve been posting the new chapters in the thread as I go, so if you want to evaluate them there the way you did Train Wreck you can. Its currently up chapter 13.5, typos and all.

I like the little asides, like the Bitterheart Witch is now dead, Avacyn is still mopping up demons etc. Really glad the flavour column hiatus wasn't for too long - in the end we didn't really miss anything significant (maybe Jenna will revisit Planechase at some point)
Really liked this short story. It's well done and I liked how it tried to make clear what has been happening on Innistrad. Glad to see Helland writing again.
I really liked the article and will look forward to more of these in the future. Keep up the good work Jenna. Smile

It was very nice to look into Odrics psyche and how the world has changed after Avacyns return. Considering how Garruk was brought into this i have a feeling this story will have some sort of follow-up.

Holding my thumbs for a look at the Planechase 2012 cards.
Late to the party and not adding a thing, but wow, yeah, awesome. 
Hey Uriel!
Hey Uriel!

Hey Namekeeper! What is "up?"
Sign In to post comments