Am I just not good at all?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing in Revenge on Easy right now, and I can not for anything beat Ordic with my Fully Unlocked Black deck. I probably could beat him with another deck, but I just feel like not as accomplished because Black is my main deck. So am I just horrible at this game? Its not like I've been playing for years, I just started playing about 2 weeks ago soo I suppose I just need to keep learning and such, Its just pretty discouraging, I can't beat an AI how would I expect to beat a real person?
While player skill does play a large part of each duel, luck of the draw still plays a huge part. Just keep at it and you'll defeat him.
Black deck sucks in my opinion. A deck change maybe your best bet. Also make sure you don't have all your unlocks in one deck as you will never get with you need.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

Ordics deck is cheap on Revenge he has 4 squadron hawks and 3 of the 3 mana white creatures you control get +1/+1
Also make sure you don't have all your unlocks in one deck as you will never get with you need.

This. 90 card decks can easily run into trouble quite consistently.
My deck has 60 cards in it. I might change my deck and see what that does see if I can beat him, Thanks everyone.
I just think that the black deck is slower so against the more fast paced Odric's deck, you will run into problems. My exalted deck still has problems with Goblins and Chandra, but very few against anything else. Perhaps the black's deck weakness is just not that great against white weenie? I don't think it has much wide spread removal, so it can't keep up.
The mono black control style of deck is my favourite type but frankly this version of it (I think you are referring to Lilliana's deck) is pretty weak.   It has a lot of removal but virtually no card drawing and it's end game finishers are awful.     It can have real trouble against fast decks if it doesn't draw a sweeper (infest or mutilate).    Mulligan to try and get a fast draw and look for one of those cards in particular.   Let him dump his hand and then wipe the board, that usually leads to a win.  
Played around 30 matches against Odric AI planeswalker in revenge, in order to fix this deck to fit vs agro decks. Usually it is 3- 4 wins out of 10. Black deck is at disadvantage. As Drogo said sweeper is a big plus to have early, but you can win even if you dont draw it. Most of wins, if i dont get any lifegain like  or  Griselbrand , i end up wining at 1-5 life remaining. Low creatures are pretty bad against this deck, cause they slow you down a lot, in mid game u dont have cards to defend. I use discard cards, because even if  is patheticly weak for defending, it might discard monk or captain of the watch  for later rise from the grave  option to stall game even more. Also using liliana's shades for land draw. Odric is really hard for black deck, like worst matchup together with Krenko, but i dont think black deck sux. Black deck can pull out some really good wins consistently against non-agro decks. I run Rune-scarred demon because this card can sometimes single-handedly win games.
Its all about what deck you use.  I started playing with Crosswinds and had significant trouble with some decks (Odrick and Krenko in particular).  Then I ran through the game with Garruk's deck and Chandra's deck and roflstomped everyone. 
... and it's end game finishers are awful.

Griselbrand would like a word with you.
There do seem to be some funny things going on in the revenge campaign. When I was playing against Odric with Chandra, I would invariable see Elite Vanguard on turn 1, Honor of the Pure on turn two, followed by Squadron Hawk and Crusader of Odric, Fiend Hunter or Attended Knight. Followed later by Captain of the Watch or Geist-Honored Monk. And I would get rolled.

Then I tried Talrand's deck, and lo and behold, I would see Flickerwisp grabbing my tokens, which of course happily disappear. I never saw that card when playing Chandra's deck.

Coincidence perhaps, but I have my doubts. I think the challenge campaign is designed to make the worst matchup for your deck. And I believe some creative shuffling is going on.
There do seem to be some funny things going on in the revenge campaign. When I was playing against Odric with Chandra, I would invariable see Elite Vanguard on turn 1, Honor of the Pure on turn two, followed by Squadron Hawk and Crusader of Odric, Fiend Hunter or Attended Knight. Followed later by Captain of the Watch or Geist-Honored Monk. And I would get rolled.

Then I tried Talrand's deck, and lo and behold, I would see Flickerwisp grabbing my tokens, which of course happily disappear. I never saw that card when playing Chandra's deck.

Coincidence perhaps, but I have my doubts. I think the challenge campaign is designed to make the worst matchup for your deck. And I believe some creative shuffling is going on.

Are you on planeswalker difficulty?  I'm pretty sure planeswalker difficulty cheats for the best cards, not sure about archmage
I've noticed a very strong trend while playing on Planeswalker difficulty in the last two games.

You either go first and your hand is awful, or you go second and your hand is decent. I don't think I've ever gone first and kept my opening hand on PW difficulty. 

Are you on planeswalker difficulty?  I'm pretty sure planeswalker difficulty cheats for the best cards, not sure about archmage

Yes, planeswalker difficulty.
That's why you never evaluate a deck's power based on it's performance against planeswalker AI. Unless you wanna see if it's strong enough to beat the worst draw you could face.

How else would they be able to make a strategy card game more difficult on a variety of settings?  On Planeswalker, the game stacks the deck for the AI in their favor with a slight element of luck.  I have noticed the A.I. getting messed up easily because of only drawing one or two lands on the PW setting but this is pretty rare, maybe once or twice.

For the most part, it's going to get the best draws because you're playing on the hardest difficulty.  That's fine if you disagree with the fact that the game cheats to make it harder but how would YOU do it then?

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I didn't try revenge yet,still unlocking cards for my decks.In 2012 it seemed like the AI always cheated on revenge,forcing me to buy lands over and over again,or no lands at all and my oponent always had good cards.This might be happening now again...
Yes Planeswalker will give opponents good starting hands and draws, it's an unfair match that doesn't really tell much about your deck. I killed Nicol Bolas on Revenge Planeswalker after maybe 10 resets and I'm done with him, forever (playing with creature decks, Nicol shouldn't be THAT hard using Jace or Chandra I guess).
For the most part, it's going to get the best draws because you're playing on the hardest difficulty.  That's fine if you disagree with the fact that the game cheats to make it harder but how would YOU do it then?

I think the best way of doing it would be to divide strategies and clever uses of synergies and "dominoes effects" up into three tiers, and the AI doesn't have access to ones above its tier. That's a lot of work, though, and I understand why they've done it this way. The one catch is, a lot of MTG is about making do with what you're given and trying to override any bad luck, but the AI just doesn't have that issue. It's simulating playing a cheater as opposed to simulating playing a clever player. On a semi-related note, anyone else noticed how long the AI takes to make a decision when it has more than 7 cards in its hand?
If anyone could PM me the source of the various avatars and achievement pics in DotP13, it'd be much appreciated
AI cheating aside, i think Odric is one of the toughest matchups for Obedient Dead.  Black's biggest weakness is lack of artifact / enchantment control, which Odric has in spades, both for creature buffs & removal.  Fiend Hunter & Flickerwisp are also counters to reanimating Odric's creatures, since they return the creatures to owner's control.  To top it off, Liliana can also have trouble with token generation since the majority of removal is single target  in the early / midgame.  Hawks, Attended, Geist, Soldiers, Captain can all give card advantage to Odric unless you get a sweeper.

personally, i don't think it's a problem with AI cheating, it is that the Revenge decks are far better constructed than the decks we are given, with 3+ copies of all it's key cards to give a high level of consistency.