Getting into real life MTG

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hullo everyone, first post here. Over the past few months ive been playing a lot of Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam and Ive really been enjoying it. Ive decided i'd like to get real cards as I have a few friends who play. As I said I have played Duels quite a bit so I know how the game works and what im doing (to a certain extent). My dilemma is that I really dont know how to start and what to buy. I was looking at the deck builders toolkit as a place to start as has all the land i'd say I need and lots of cards to go with it, but I wanted some experienced players opinions. I'd like to be able to compete against my more experienced friends with some decent cards so im not afraid to spend money hahah, and I know from planeswalkers that I think I want to build a White/Black or a blue deck. Thanks everyone
You could also play MTG Online.  That is an option and what I do.

They give you these gold boarder cards you can use in the "New Player Room".

Once you buy you own cards you can play in many formats.  Like lets say Pauper.  It is cheap and fun.
those gold bordered cards mirror the cards from the Duels game (and cost about the same for each "expansion")

so basically you'd be upgrading to proper rules support and deck building
proud member of the 2011 community team
those gold bordered cards mirror the cards from the Duels game (and cost about the same for each "expansion")

so basically you'd be upgrading to proper rules support and deck building

Well once you buy your own cards. (something you have to do in real life as well)

You get the full MTG experience.

I personally never even used the gold cards.  But thought it was something he should know about.

I used them for about a year
they are a great and inexpensive way to get into MTGO

but after a while I wanted more cards so I upgraded to "real" cards on MTGO ;)
Ah well, I think i'd prefer having the real cards to play with my friends, but I wouldn't mind looking into that. Ss the 60 card deck you get from buying Online random or do you get to choose?
you get about 300 gold cards when you create the MTGO account for $10
additional (mostly) different 300 gold cards are $5 each

each pack of cards mirrors the Duels games and their expansions, only that you can build your own decks to your heart's desire
so for example Pack I is the original game, Pack II is the first expansion and so on

if your friends also have those cards you can play against them.
you cannot play against their decks with black/white bordered cards
Before you buy MTGO you can play with preconstucted decks as sort of a demo. (that is how it was when I started, don't know if they changed it.)

Try it out and see if you like the interface and stuff, it is free.
the free trial is still there
Ah well, I think i'd prefer having the real cards to play with my friends

You could buy a recent Event Deck to play with. They're about $25 and reasonably competitive.
The Deck Builder's Toolkit is a pretty nice product, especially if you're just starting. Intro Packs are pretty good too, since they include a full deck so you can start playing right away.
So should I start with a toolkit or a fat box? I think im going to get a blue event deck on the side aswell?
I would reccomend the toolkit first. Also look into finding a Pre-release near you to attend, the new Magic 2013 is coming out and its a great opportunity to get into the game.
I used to play 12 years ago, and I just got back into it about a year ago. I started by buying one of the event decks (they are slightly more competitive than some of the other pre-constructed decks). Then, I slowly modified it by purchasing singles to really get back into the game. This worked out fairly well for me...I was only doing FNM standard constructed tournaments, so you won't win much while doing this unless you want to and/or can spend a good amount of money to get yourself more competitive.
Sign In to post comments